It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New iPhone App, Patriot App launches snitch network

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
so if you don't like somebody, or have a grudge, or you want revenge on your ex-partner, or somebody called you a name, you could make up anything you like? to get that person into trouble.

i really do not see how it would work if it was used the way it was intended for the purposes they claim, only an idiot would think of this, unless it is for reasons they are not telling you, however i give a thumbs up to those who propose using it in other ways they did not intend.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
so if you don't like somebody, or have a grudge, or you want revenge on your ex-partner, or somebody called you a name, you could make up anything you like? to get that person into trouble.

i really do not see how it would work if it was used the way it was intended for the purposes they claim, only an idiot would think of this, unless it is for reasons they are not telling you, however i give a thumbs up to those who propose using it in other ways they did not intend.

My emphasis in bold;

Reminds me of that old cartoon, what's it called?

"You won't take me alive copper, see, I've got the Patriot Act APP on my iphone!!!"

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Let me post another view of this which hasn't been presented here.

Scientists and law enforcement ARE using social networks to help assess damage in emergencies. In the most recent case I know of (the California explosion that destroyed around 170 homes and left at least one person dead: mystateline.com... ), cops and emergency personnel used tweets to find out where the worst damage was and decide quickly which roads needed traffic control and where people might be helping folks who were badly hurt.

This turned out to be valuable (the reports have been in journals rather than in the mainstream press) and scientists and law enforcement are looking into this to see how they can ask people to assist in emergencies.

They couldn't have done it with phone calls -- too many calls by frantic people, not enough operators in the phone rooms to handle the call volume. Directed tweets gave them a better picture of what was going on and enabled them to start getting people to places in time to help.

I've relied on tweets from the Gulf Oil crisis to give me some idea of how to map the data for the Audubon Society.

Now... I don't know who gets this data or how it's passed along, but this kind of information can save lives, homes, animals, and more. I don't know that this app is the right one for it, but the idea of being able to message if you see a problem is not a bad one.

So... that's another side of the issue (and one that I've used in research) which you might want to consider. Pharmacy-spammers and sleazeballs mine Twitter to spam you, advertisers mine Twitter and other sites to target ads to you. Social media has a lot of interesting uses and a lot of interesting data. I don't mind them looking for emergency information (particularly on a voluntary tweet thread that I knew they'd be paying attention to.)

They can go ahead and monitor my tweets, too. Having been on the nets (Compuserve and later) since 1980, I never put up anything I wouldn't want printed in the national newspaper.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I would not deny that this might be valuable to first responders but I see the negative potential as well. We need a network of busybody snitches like we need another hole in our heads. The negatives are that people will report anything they think is strange and that might just get someone killed by a police officer when it should not have happened.

I think of the lady that called 911 when a regular at the bar has drank too much and the cops came and he was belligerent to the cops and then he was shot dead. He was not armed but would not come away from his vehicle. The lady felt really awful that she called the cops thinking that she would save the guy a traffic accident but he ended up dead.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And I want all of you to welcome Big Sis and Big brother in to your lives . __javascript:icon('') From here on out they will tell you what to do and what to think .__javascript:icon('') If you don't obey one of these neat little apps will make it easy for your neighbors to turn you in .__javascript:icon('')

Play nice now ! __javascript:icon('')

A perfect app to help control the masses .

I wonder if it was developed with stimulus money ?

Modern day McCarthyism __javascript:icon('')

The government in the old Czechoslovakia, East Germany , Ukraine, Yugoslavia the old USSR would have loved this little App it might have even kept them from falling . They made it where you were afraid to speak your mind or say any thing close to being disruptive lest your neighbors would turn you in for a visit with the local police or the KGB .

The pieces are being set Checkmate isnt far off _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
S+F to get this out.
Needs to be seen by all.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
IWATCH YouTube Video

I was unable to get the share code to embed the video. Ist time this has happened to me.

Here's one I'm able to get the share code on...

I saw a news report on how this was working out in Kentucky and W.VA... last night so I find this thread.

Since this thread's a year old I'm wondering if there's any new thoughts on this...

Here's one on how to spy on any Iphone...

Boy I bet Gladys Kravitz from the Bewitched Show would have had loved this app.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join