It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why raising tuition fees for university in the uk is bad!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
No one wants to pay for the party anymore. I saw students with "tax the rich" banners marching today.

Know who helped me and my family in my life? Nobody.

Why am I working like a dog since I finished school to pay for ungrateful people to chill out for three years and come out with few productive skills?

If you are learning to be a scientist or engineer, cool, but produce something good and try not to be evil.

If you are learning philosophy or something, cool, but enlighten me and protest on my behalf.

And dont ever make a "tax the rich" banner in time you could have been doing something productive.

There needs to be mutual respect and an unspoken deal.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Since when is it the responsibility of any government to pay for college?

When the people of that country are taxed to the hilt to pay for their social structure. That's when!

Next question please?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic23

Okay, as this seems to be a general theme, I'll write something more on this.

There seems to be an attitude of "I have to pay for things, so why should I pay taxes for them to have an education"

In the UK, we pay EXTORTIONATE TAXES. This pays for the social structure.

I was watching a clip of Fox News yesterday where even the ignorant talking heads were implying that we have a messed up system where people expect something for free.
IT'S NOT FREE, WE PAY TAXES FOR THIS STANDARD!

It infuriates me that there are others here (and on so-called "News" stations) making general statements about what us Brits are entitled to, while not considering our massive taxation system.

We pay all our lives for a National Health Service, Fuel Allowances for the old, State Pension, EDUCATION! and more.

So, please, the next person to post about how us Brits think our government should support us, consider our tax system and how much we are expected to pay in our lifetimes to the state.

Then consider where that money is going.

And then consider again what is being cut.
edit on 13-12-2010 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual
Good point: We do get taxed very heavily in the uk.

And in reply to an earlier post: I dont see the problem with students walking around with tax the rich banners.
After all arent students going to come out and get graduate jobs in which they will in theory earn more and so get taxed more?? The higher you earn the higher the tax bracket should be: this would be specially true in a world where degrees are free, cos it would only be fair to pay more tax when you earn high.

If on the other hand the student pays for his own degree then taxes should be the same for everyone: the student payed so why should he suffer higher taxes in life?

Instead of giving students a loan, shouldn't we focus more on forcing them to agree to go in to jobs right from the beggining of their degree: ie, if a corporation or business payed for the course instead of the student loans company (government) like a golden handshake agreement. That student could then go straight to work for that company and pay the loan back out of his/her wages (or not pay it back at all, since the company is benefiting from this brilliant: trained mind a resource that will surely bolster the company itself). This way the burden of loans would be taken on by private companies, and this would encourage students to work harder knowing that there is something definite at the end of their 3 years at uni.

This is what the chinese do: they will fund anybody who can get in to a European uni the entire fee: But that person MUST return to China and work for chinese businesses when they finish their degree. Isn't it mad that they will pay through the nose for their brightest to 'steal' western knowledge from our Uni's, but we are forcing our brightest to reconsider going to uni??

Remember the cleverest people arent always the richest people. So why is the system being altered to favour those who have more money? Shouldn't the system be biased in favour of educating those that need it, ie are clever and are going to become our future scientists, doctors, engineers etc etc...
edit on 13-12-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

You still do'nt get what I posted. It's all about making it impossible for "the lower classes" to achieve any higher education therefore leaving the door widely open for the privelidged few to fill the higher paid professions and also the ruling elite positions, like MPs.. This is all about the money= power=control. They are not bothered if you go to uni and get a degree because, as so rightly been pointed out, your in deep debt when you come out. This leeds to 1: not wanting to pay the money back so get a job with low pay. Job done your not in the line for MPs or a highpay profesinal job. 2: if you do get a well paid job still job done because you're working so long to pay your debt off. you must realise the you accrue going through uni for the period is enough to buy a house in some parts of the country ie a mortgage.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

No, I did understand what you said.

I understand that this is about: power, control and elitism.

Its the Middle aged people who dont have that much money and dont ever stand a chance of being 'rich' but still actually agree with this being passed (which Ive met A LOT OF since the riots began) who all think that the youth should pay higher fees, just because otherwise they are a bunch of 'spongers'.

This thread is to educate them: I'm hoping that your knowledge and mine and this thread might open some peoples minds as to why the protests are happening, its not just because the youth are a bunch of sponging idiots who are wrong, as youve rightly pointed out: its about control, and disenfranchising even more young people.

edit on 13-12-2010 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Couldn't agree more my friend, the Americans don't really understand the British system. They are taught that rich people work hard and poor people are lazy but if you work hard, you will become rich beyond your wildest expectations. This "American dream" idea has kept the rich...rich! and the poor working 18hr days thinking it's gonna happen to them or maybe their kids. It's this worry that someone, somewhere might just be getting something for free that keeps them up at night..

Meanwhile back to Europe and reality...We pay higher taxes, so the majority are guaranteed a certain standard of life regardless of income, this also includes a decent education...We have a bunch of tory c@nts in power right now and they are busy stealing money from the collective pot by cutting things like education and healthcare, raising tuition fees are a way to cover the shortfall but in doing so may make the overall student debt too prohibitive for the less well off...Education is a right, not a PRIVILEGE...However the turds in charge no longer feel that way...Next stop "The British Dream" lol...

<< 1   >>

join