It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons Have World's Largest Database on Human Race: Why?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's taken the LDS decades to compile and microfilm what they have.
And the fact that anyone can access it FREE via familysearch.org is an absolute credit to them.
Also there is still mountains of things that haven't been transcribed yet for the website from many countries.
If what you are looking isn't up on the website, you can order the relevant microfische from Utah via
your local LDS who have research rooms especially dedicated to family search.
They are very friendly and helpful. I was very impressed at the dedication, when I paid them a visit a few years ago to look up a relative I couldn't find online from South Africa.
I've also used familysearch in conjunction with ScotsPeople and findmypast in the U.K to trace my family back to circa 1700. It taken me over 7 years and cost me next to nothing. It's still an ongoing project.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by arizonascott
reply to post by kallisti36

Hit the nail on the head - thanks

Oh

Minus

But you got the Genealogy thing pretty spot on
edit on 13-12-2010 by arizonascott because: (no reason given)
That was a joke. This is ATS, people want conspiracies.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
As it was explained to me - - the Mormons (like every religion - believe they are right) - - so they offer their doctrine through baptism to those who haven't been or may not have had the opportunity to "accept the true gospel". It is not automatic. It has to be accepted by the person it is being offered to. So you really aren't forcing baptism. You are offering the option.

...heya, annee... stayin warm?...

...i mustve misunderstood the whole enchilada... i thought folks were saying theres a mormon custom of baptising non-mormon folks AFTER they're dead via using the deceased's name in a baptism ritual...

...o'well, i've been wrong before...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

the vaults need to be apocalypse-proof, short answer. They actually believe that genealogy, families, are the most important thing on earth.

If what you say is true, then this philosophy is in direct conflict with what Jesus taught. Here is what scriptures have to say about genealogy:

1 Timothy 1: 3-4
...stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith.

Matthew 12:46-50
While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

It's highly offensive that a 'religion' would depend on race,
family-trees and genealogy. (VERY OFFENSIVE AND INTRUSIVE
AND * PROBABLY BREAKING PRIVACY LAWS *)
I just happened to find postings from the LDS on the internet
informing the general public that some of my
relatives are not mormon but rather xyz and other.
(they posted this as 'a matter of fact' with no consideration of privacy )
In fact their information is completely wrong because they don't
take into consideration converts, reverts, and apostasy.
Besides, why should it matter who begot whom ? . . .
After all if Jesus was of virgin birth, with no male fore-barer
shows that genealogy does NOT matter.
It is obvious that some 'religions' are nothing more than cults.

You are correct Alethea,
1 Timothy 1:3-4 :4Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies
( it's hypocrisy of them not to read, but to ignore their own books)

edit on 14/12/10 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
To the members of the Church - It amazes me to see your defense and explanations displayed in a calm manner. Excellent work and to not follow a rabid cycle of putting down others in the face of their misinformation or ignorance. I for one have never studied or held interest in the Mormon faith, but your displays have been commendable.

Now, onto why genealogy records are being kept. It is history; more specific, a history of people and their lineage. I do not see anything nefarious or evil going on. The information usually collected is births, deaths, marriages, business records, anything obtainable through public records. They are not keeping fingerprints or even looking for them. They are not tracking your movements, recording cellphone conversations, tracking purchases, wanting medical records, etc. That is your Governments.

I guess when people need a boogie man, they will always find one in something they have no knowledge about.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I don´t have time to read whole thread at the moment, just wanted to add, that lately I discovered article from the year 1997 in Estonian newspaper, that said, that Mormons have been copied a large part of Estonian family archives, but noone knows how they use this data in America. It´s just too strange. Especially, that Estonia was a part of Soviet Union back then (80s) - and they had a contract with Soviet Union´s Ministry of Justice. Why should this ministry make contract to some American mormones? Basicly letting Americans to copy Soviet Union´s people archives. I don´t think it´s just that they wanted to babtise. And even if they did, they have no right to collect data for this. It´s disturbing, especially for christians.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
i had never come into contact with mormans till about 3 years ago, one of them started working with me. what a lovely person he is. one of the most respectful humans i have ever come accross. then about 2 years ago my daughter started to date an ex morman. his family were in the church all his life till they decided to leave about 4 years ago. i could not be happier. he is the loveliest of boys, they are both 18 and neither is into the whole drinking and wipe yourself out culture of most aussie teens

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

reply to post by SeventhSeal

The fact you say that is alarming (Mormons Dangerous). What purpose would you have to say that - what do you have to back that up? As fast as the world is decaying from a spiritual and family oriented stand point, with strength in family becoming a divorce joke, what is the reason?

I don't get attacking something pure - in this day and age of impure habits - impure eating and impure thoughts!

That to me - is the joke!

they have "magic underpants."
they baptized Hitler...after he died.
Joseph Smith said no blacks in Heaven.
the list goes on.

Mormonism is bat sh*t crazy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
They are not keeping fingerprints or even looking for them. They are not tracking your movements, recording cellphone conversations, tracking purchases, wanting medical records, etc. That is your Governments.

No, this is NOT coming from "your Government". This is coming from Masonic organizations. The Mormons are a Masonic organization as are most of the other religions.

The fingerprints, biometrics, DNA, scans, medical records, and tracking, as well as your GPS coordinates will all be merged together in these records in the near future if they have not already done so.

Masonic Child Identification Programs (CHIP)

"CHIP programs are supported monetarily at the Grand Lodge level, and are staffed by volunteers from subordinate lodges as well as law enforcement and dental professionals.

The Masonic Child ID Program has been referenced by state and local law enforcement agencies as their model for establishing this service. The difference between Masonic CHIP and others is that municipal and law enforcement agencies typically place all data that is collected (including fingerprints) into a database." --wiki

Their modus operandi in all things is to offer it to you as a 'benefit' but there will always be a deception and an ulterior motive. Beware Trojan Horses.

Put young children on DNA list, urge police

· 'We must target potential offenders'
· Teachers' fury over 'dangerous' plan

Primary school children should be eligible for the DNA database if they exhibit behaviour indicating they may become criminals in later life, according to Britain's most senior police forensics expert.

Gary Pugh, director of forensic sciences at Scotland Yard and the new DNA spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said a debate was needed on how far Britain should go in identifying potential offenders, given that some experts believe it is possible to identify future offending traits in children as young as five.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Put young children on DNA list, urge police

· 'We must target potential offenders'
· Teachers' fury over 'dangerous' plan

Primary school children should be eligible for the DNA database if they exhibit behaviour indicating they may become criminals in later life, according to Britain's most senior police forensics expert.

Gary Pugh, director of forensic sciences at Scotland Yard and the new DNA spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said a debate was needed on how far Britain should go in identifying potential offenders, given that some experts believe it is possible to identify future offending traits in children as young as five.

www.guardian.co.uk...

With plans like this giving us a glimpse into the future, can you imagine how a child's life may be thwarted and the opportunities withheld when it is determined through his genealogy that his great grandfather killed someone? The child could be labeled to have a "genetic proclivity toward violence" or some other nonsense that will shape the course of his life and determine how much of a future he will be allowed to have.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Don't you know THE TRUTH OF THE NWO?

It starts with Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping. This is actually a Joint US Government Psyops Mission with MI6, Mossad, and the Mormon Church. She is kidnapped, then her kidnapper is put on trial, raising her popularity to fuffill Biblical prophecy that she is THE ANTI-CHRIST. She has been stealing peoples files for the last 8 years with backing of Obama to lead the NWO (the mormon church in disguise) to world prominence. Obama, Soros and the CIA are also backing this.

Should have known the damn Mormons know more than they say...

DUMB
DUMB
DUMB

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Heh must admit after reading the first page and parts of the others, and being an inactive 'Mormon' who was in the church up until I was in my late teens (I just basically stopped going, no religious crisis or problem with doctrine although i did choose not to go on a mission and this annoyed one or two of the more fervent members in my ward, but theres always idiots in all walks of life)... some of the wild ideas and incredibly wrong notions some people in this thread have about my old church sure do make for some rather amusing reading and some just make me face palm and groan. I mean come on people some really are laughable (Now I know how some of those Masonic members must feel when people bash the Masons and talk about them in whispers... granted the Masons do give me the willies
).

Yes genealogy is a big part of the church as it does tie in primarily with baptism for the dead (And yes ive been part of the whole baptism for the dead 'ritual' its nothing all that special, its nothing more than a proxy baptism really)... it aint some giant conspiracy, as some on page one seem to make it, I guess its just some crayzie religious thing really... all religions have em.

Then again the church in America is often a little more insular and tends to have a slightly different vibe compared to the church else where, I guess where a little more worldly down here in that we dont have a large community thats saturated with members unlike places like Utah. Sure there's some odd things about the church that even me as an inactive member makes me think... and yes some of the older history has issues but unlike some churches we've evolved past them and expanded on them as times change.

But Id personally class it as all benign. Nice people really having been one myself... we aint/werent the debil...

Originally posted by initsix
Because they pray. There is a sub-sect of Mormons that believe souls can be saved after they have been judged and consigned to hell.

Umm we/they ie the main church dosnt actually believe in a Hell... to put it as simply as I can (and it isnt 100% accurate since its been 12+ years), you have the spirit world that coexists with our own, everyone and living thing goes there at death bad or good but without a body, emotion like anger and hate, fear etc or addictions and the like are stronger those who lived a 'bad' life or have issues find it harder to exist there and as such segregate themselves from those who arent... more or less, there is no Hell as most religion puts it, but heaven can be hell if you arent prepared or are of the wrong mind. Those who are alright, do their best to minister and help those who arent.

Not 100% correct but thats more or less it from what i remember. Also those sub-sects are not really in anyway related to the Mormon church outside of using similar names and the like, they broke off ages back and are the equivalent of Seventh Day Adventists compared to Catholics... Jack Mormons (the ones that you hear in teh news about polygamy) are nutters

edit on 14-12-2010 by BigfootNZ because: meep

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
But seriously, who cares? This is all matter of public records stuff and they've been very transparent with sharing the data. I can't comprehend why the Mormon church would collect information for nefarious purposes---how is that even reasonable to believe? And I'm far from Mormon...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

well if you use Ancestry.com which i do one would realize that the census' reports are all from 100yrs ago which is more then a generation in any given family...and thanks to it i have traced my family back to the early 1700's but have taken it much further back to 1290 which i feel has been very helpful....but as far as them having info of history and the geneology of people and they want to spend the dosh on keeping these records....does it really matter...I think not...personally i would like to get hold of some of the information so i could trace my roots back even further...cause It is important to know where one comes from as it is an amazing journey back in time and i suggest everyone should try it.
But the churches objecives will be different of course because it will tell the lineage of the founding fathers of the human race.
but since we are all related in some fashion it would be reasonable that all roads lead to Rome....well in this case the adam and the eve....the genetic eggs of life...the creation of the human race...cloning is a tricky business and the diversity of the clone is extremely hard to achieve and i would like to know how it was done.

edit on 023131p://f21Tuesday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I lived in Salt Lake City for some time and did notice that a lot of inbreeding occurs amongst the greater Mormon population. They even passed a law to reduce taxes on new settlers to the state so that they could bring "fresh blood" to mix in with the general population. The inbreeding is evident when you look at the faces of the youth and see they have droopy eyes and other tell tale signs of inbreeding. Maybe they are amassing the database to prevent inbreeding amongst the populace by informing them that who they are about to marry is closely related.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

reply to post by SeventhSeal

The fact you say that is alarming (Mormons Dangerous). What purpose would you have to say that - what do you have to back that up? As fast as the world is decaying from a spiritual and family oriented stand point, with strength in family becoming a divorce joke, what is the reason?

I don't get attacking something pure - in this day and age of impure habits - impure eating and impure thoughts!

That to me - is the joke!

they have "magic underpants."
they baptized Hitler...after he died.
Joseph Smith said no blacks in Heaven.
the list goes on.

Mormonism is bat sh*t crazy.

Ummm...Joesph Smith was wayyyyyyyyyy more progressive on the topic of slavery (supporting peaceful abolishment) and even allowed blacks in the priesthood, so your statement is basically a lie.

You should really do more research than relying on anti-Mormon tripe and chain emails from conservative (protestant) friends. I'm not particularly inclined to organized religion but at least I educate myself on it.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
(Now I know how some of those Masonic members must feel when people bash the Masons and talk about them in whispers... granted the Masons do give me the willies
).

Nice people really having been one myself... we aint/werent the debil...

Yes, many of them are nice people. I have had Mormon friends and even attended an ice cream social. I was impressed with the focus on family as well. But, just like with the Masons, the lower ranks never see what is really taking place in the big picture.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I would like to congratulate the Mormons on their amazing database.

They have obviously always been interested in human history.

I would also like to congratulate the Mormons on being a religion which does not wage war.

I would also like to congratulate them on the way they bravely try to spread their word in the face of an indifferent world.

I believe that the way these people live is close to the true spirit.

I am not a Mormon, I am a follower of Jesus, without the corruption of the churches.

So I think I have a lot in common with Mormons, in my beliefs.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Who could they wage war with?

Theyve been around for only 150 some odd years.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join