It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smack your beer to make it freeze!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Hey ATS, did a little search and came up with nothing so I decided to post.

I saw this video,

www.youtube.com...

Of where the guy put's the beer at around 30 F, just before freezing. Then as he smacks it, it instantly freezes.

It's not a hoax, you can try it for yourself as I did. Throw a 24 in the freezer though, it takes a while to get it. (2 hrs 35 mins for me)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yea, I seen that !
I thought 'cool' and then
I started thinking hey,I love
beer, and frozen beer sucks.
cool though it is .

Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ya you can do that with any liquids.. I would leave pop, Gatorade, and so on in the car in the winter and would come in the next day to drive it when I would open the lid the liquid inside would freeze, I always thought it was awesome... I never did it with beer but i would think its the same thing as pop or something so it don't surprise me that he did this..

::EDIT::

I forgot to add, this one place i was staying had this freezer, I would put gatorade in it and let it sit on the door when i would need it for work in the summer it would do this same process..
edit on 12/12/2010 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
You're right; it's totally not. They even did it on this show call Mythbusters. It was really, really awesome.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Had this happen to my apple juice when I left in in the work van or in the freezer too long.

Here's another neat beer trick my grandmother taught me. If you have an opened beer you don't want to drink, don't try to put the cap back on. If you recap it, it will go flat. But if you leave the cap off, it will stay carbonated.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Cool trick i did it once also with a Corona though i had to get another beer though after that one froze science is fun.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The phenomenon is called supercooling. Crystal nucleation does not occur until the liquid is disturbed, basically. Very common phenomenon in the upper atmosphere in relation to aircraft disturbing supercooled water.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have seen this same thing happen with a bottle of water in the freezer.

It is hard to get the thing set up right. However, I have gotten the result three times. It happens when I run out of water in the fridge and want to cool some water down quickly.

I put the bottle in the freezer and then it is about timing (which I have not perfected). Later you check the bottle and it has a small amount of cloudiness to it and the water is still in liquid form. If you turn it upside down rather quickly you can watch it freeze throughout the bottle. I discovered this completely by accident. I was amazed the first time I ever seen it happen. Certainly one of the cooler things that can happen.

Raist

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
The phenomenon is called supercooling. Crystal nucleation does not occur until the liquid is disturbed, basically. Very common phenomenon in the upper atmosphere in relation to aircraft disturbing supercooled water.

don't say that too loud. that'll blow the whole chem trail conspiracy away.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

tripped me out the first couple times it happened to me. haha. the first time was with a big freezy. i grabbed it and was like...damnit its still liq....OH MY GOD I thought i some how developed mutant powers on my way to the fridge.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Forgive me for being a bubble burster but, I thought this was common knowledge?

....seriously.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Common knowledge would be something that is obvious. This, is obviously not obvious.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Here's another neat beer trick my grandmother taught me. If you have an opened beer you don't want to drink, don't try to put the cap back on. If you recap it, it will go flat. But if you leave the cap off, it will stay carbonated.

Hmm that doesn't sound right ~ I think you may have that back to front

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've been doing this trick on my friends for 20+ years. I like me beer ice cold...with little ice crystals in it. When I am asked to grab a beer out of the freezer for someone else, I will give it a little tap or turn the bottle upside-down. It works like a charm. And while I'm drinking away, they are left sipping a slurpee with a straw.

That being said, I was mesmerized the first time I discovered this phenomenon.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
We used to do this to get stronger beer in Kansas that had it's 3.2 statute in effect. You freeze it and then poor the liquid into a glass and it leaves the water in the can. You get almost a 7% beer. Tastes better than the College Koolade they sold us in most bars!

Zindo

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I suppose people do no experimenting in your neck of the woods. Just about everyone I know figured this out before they were 15 or so. It works w/ water too.

new topics

top topics

join