It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Monopoly on Serial Killers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

And don't feel bad.. We got A LOT of weirdo's living here....

Funny thing is, people think I'm strange

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

From Stan Baker

"I have a problem. I'm a cannibal ." To prove the point, Stan Baker turned his pockets out and palmed a human finger bone

thats from the link you posted..

but that fool grew up in Wyoming, not Frisco

edit on 13-12-2010 by squirelnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
www.whale.to...

Another member posted the above link.

Absolutely chilling / fascinating read.

Strange how some of the serial killers were largely ignored by some departments, other killers or witnesses or jurors were killed or died in accidents - and some somehow managed to kill whole households 'completely alone', whilst other serial killers operated alongside each other, or were loosely linked.

Makes me wonder if some of the murders were part of a chain or cult or something.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Makes me wonder if some of the murders were part of a chain or cult or something.

I was thinking the same thing, but it would be against their MO wouldn't it? Most SK are anti-social, but i guess there's always the few that break the mold

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

A U.S. Navy psychologist, who claims that the Office of Naval Intelligence had taken convicted murderers from military prisons, used behavior modification techniques on them, and then relocated them in American embassies throughout the world ... The Navy psychologist was Lt. Commander Thomas Narut of the U.S. Regional Medical Center in Naples, Italy

this is also from the Henry Lee Lucas link

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

After a lot of research i couldn't find anything on the guy from the above quote..

At least anything other than forums and blogs

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Multiple reasons.

Hollywood and the sexploitation of women & children along with glamorization of criminals in the media.

Some of it is our mores, that is our values.

Americans have unusually stricter boundaries & mores relating to sex & nudity. I don't know where that came from some sort of Puritan thing maybe. Meaning Americans have more sexual hangups or problems. Most serial killers seem to spawn out of sexually motivated crimes.

Our laws or very harsh compared to many western nations. Many rapists of women & children end up killing their victims in order to destroy any witness to their crime as they know if they get caught they may spend a good portion of the rest of their lives behind bars.

The U.S. is big and we do a lot of driving, giving one the sense that they can get away with more & not be known while traveling. Not sure why, but many serial killers are truckers. Perhaps just opportunistic or maybe something more.

Some probably relish seeing themselves in the media as outsmarting everyone else. It is a game, perhaps.

As has been mentioned many countries other than the UK & Western Europe don't have our level of expertise. Our detectives are more sophisticated as well as our having national computer databases that all police agencies can use etc. Maybe American LE is more adapt to publicize such crimes as well whereas some other nation might just want to hide this type of stuff.
edit on 14-12-2010 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz

49 in UK
140 in USA

That's at least 140 confirmed serial killers in the US... 76% of the worlds serial killers

You say how scary this is and suggest the US has a "monopoly" on serial killers?

Not at all.

How many times bigger is the USA than the UK? About 5 times bigger? So, times the number of UK killers by 5 and we get 245.

It seems to me it is the Brits that need to be more worried than anyone and that the USA can relax. You won't though, we know most Americans love to give the idea they live in a weird and scary place with serial killers around every corner and gangsters on every street.

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by _Highlander_

dexter was made to turn would be serial killers into vigilante killers of killers and not random citizens.

america is not even a real country, it was born out of violence, since the beginning all it knew was violence and it's a safe haven for evil people, because as long as you don't break any laws you can be as evil as you want to be.

Oh. You mean like every single other country that does and has existed, then? I can't fathom why so many Americans believe their country is special or extraordinary. That their history is absolutely unique. It really isn't! In fact, what has happened with America has happened with almost all countries, except it happened to the other countries centuries before it happened in the US.

P.s. Sorry Dave for going over the Per Cap details without realising you had already done so and done so better

edit on 14-12-2010 by triplesod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by triplesod

Yes, but UK has been keeping track of it's serial killers for a hundred years longer than the US..

since 1900 we've had that many..

And I would've wrote the same thread if Mexico had more serial killers, or if New Zealand did.. I didn't write it because i thought it made my country sound unique, I wrote it because of how lopsided the numbers are
edit on 14-12-2010 by squirelnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by davespanners

The only flaw in that argument is the UK has been keeping track for a lot longer..

America only started keeping track of it's serial killers since about 1900.. UK started around the 1800s

Ridiculous argument!

Your Wiki quote counts the number of serial murderers we know of now. Retrospectively. It has nothing at all to do with when they were "keeping track"! Also, although we know serial murders were known before, Jack is still counted as the Worlds first and he killed in 1888 and your list even includes, for the USA, the "Bloody Benders" family of serial killers who killed in the 1870's, which completely destroys your argument.

There is no flaw in his argument at all, only in yours. You were completely wrong that the USA has a "monopoly" on SK's and has been shown, it actually has less, per capita (which is the important and correct way to record such stats) than at least one other Western country.

reply to post by billybobh3

I could get behind this IF other countries had higher serial killings or if US had less, but to say we have 76% because our detective work is better???

What makes you think Canada or Russia or China or Australia have less inept cops and detectives than here?

I DO think it has to do with some of it, sure, but to say, We only have more because we catch more, is a cop out..

I can't understand why you are refusing to take the per capita results on board. Well, I do understand, it's because you want the USA to have a "monopoly".
There are less serial killers per 100,000 in the USA than there are in the UK (and possibly other countries), by quite a large number. Yet you still keep going on like the US is the only place that has to deal with these pillocks.

EDIT: The numbers AREN'T lopsided!! The USA has a slightly higher average number than most places but not the highest, it's simple! And it doesn't matter when countries started "keeping track" (you are wrong about that anyway, by the way. It was an American who came up with the idea of a serial killer, so really, it was the US who started "keeping track" first). The data you are going off is retrospective data which includes all known serial killers and in that data is included American killers from the mid 19th century, earlier than the first UK SK in the data. Basically, the data you are using includes the first serial killer in the US and the UK at roughly the same time.
edit on 14-12-2010 by triplesod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by triplesod

Than let's talk about the serial killers in the UK.. Is there anything you think is causing it?

I honestly didn't think about population vs. the killings, i apologize if i offended you for not saying UK is the "special" place as you so want it to be..

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

I would question the numbers of UK serial killers for a start. The OP says that the number is quoted from Wikipedia, yet that same website comes up with 35 "serial killers" seemingly defined as someone who has killed three or more people, over a prolonged period and since records began – which in the case of the UK is over the last few hundred year.

UK killers

If the statistics in the OP are wrong – unless someone can actually prove that there are 49 UK serial killers (who by the OP quoted definition of three murders in a month) or even 49 UK mass murderers, then I will take the statistics seriously.

To address a wider point. I think that comparing countries is highly problematic, especially the countries like China which does not have a transparent judiciary and where any form of statistic must be questionable and should be questioned. Couple that with the poorly resourced and backward policing system (compared to the West) in much of poor rural China and you can speculate that many crimes have never been investigated, recorded or simply unrecognised as such, or covered up.

Psychopaths exist in all societies and have done through the ages. Ironically the World’s biggest mass murdered was that charming man Mr Mao, a Cheses who clearly loved his fellow man. Thought I would throw that in to indicate that the US may have violent movies, but China has had a brutal and violent past in recent and living memory. Arguably, China still does but that is the subject of discussions elsewhere.

Regards

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join