It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
In having read literally hundreds of posts and threads here on ATS that purport to stand solidly behind Wikileaks and their agenda for complete information transparency, I would like to offer this opportunity to Assange supporters to demonstrate that they are true believers.

If you have rejected the idea that Governments, or Corporations and Individuals have the right to protect confidential or classified information, then I invite you to take the first real steps toward this brave new world and volunteer to have all of your private information publicly accessible...past, present and future.

I am prepared to underwrite the costs of establishing a website wherein all of your personal information...and that of all of your family members (as it is leaked to us)...will be available to anyone who wishes to peruse it.

You will be required, in the spirit of the undertaking, to provide complete disclosure on everything that you have ever said or done in your lifetime. You will need to sign an unconditional waiver of all of your rights to privacy, and...if we deem necessary for our own voyeuristic (or other) reasons...will sign an authorization to allow us to record all future conversations that you have, emails that you send, and activities that you engage in (so, you will have to agree to us installing cameras and other recording devices in your kitchen, washrooms, bedrooms, etc.)

If you attempt to keep anything at all private, or secret - for any reason - after you have signed on as a member of the website, it will be assumed that you are up to no good...and this fact will be widely leaked as well.

Those of you who are members of ATS, and who do not consent to joining my new "transparency of information" website will likewise be deemed to have something to hide, and we will publish open invitations to the general public to provide us with leaked information about your past or present conduct...which we will cheerily in turn transmit to any and media outlets.

We will be asking current and former teachers, girlfriends/boyfriends, husbands/wives, employers, employees, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, competitors, landlords, credit bureaus, courts, police forces, etc., etc. to please release to us as much information as possible about you.

It does not, and will not, matter to me if the information we gather about you is true or false, indicates criminal behaviour or simple errors in judgement, if it will cause you embarrassment - or even destroy significant relationships you have with friends, families, spouses, children, business associates...whatever...as all must be revealed for the greater good of mankind.

So...join the crusade for total transparency of information in the spirit of the New Wicki Order (NWO). Show your complete and total support by signing up as a member of this new website today!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Absolutely Perfect!

Nothing wrong with a little Sunday morning sarcasm.

Certainly hits home a little more with these yahoos when the tables are turned. S&F for you my friend.

Well Done.

Becker

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Do it!

Start the site.
Just play fair and pay for advertising here, and other sites.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Is this an anti-WikiLeaks thread, I suppose that's a silly question.
Anyway the point about Wikileaks is that it exposes decisions and attitudes of diplomats and public figures for what they are. It's not about the personal and private lives of anyone. Surely we must always aspire towards transparency in these areas. These people are put in these positions, well suposedly, because they are fit for purpose and represent the qualities needed. If they are exposed as trivial, petty, untrustworthy scallywags then surely this can only a good thing. Should it remain hidden from view. Although having said that I'm sure it will just be used as another excuse to tighten security. Perhaps that was the whole idea in the first place.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
"I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours..."

Oops - wrong context!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
touche' !

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Thumbs up!

Btw, do not forget to publish your own info first. As "they" (don't we love to use the word, "they"!) say, practice what you preach!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Do it!

Start the site.
Just play fair and pay for advertising here, and other sites.

Yes, if a number of people actually were to subscribe to it, it would likely create quite a sensation.

[snip]

But, I am not holding my breath. I suspect that most, if not all, who rail here, do so within the comfortable certainty of the sanctity of their own private affairs.

edit on 12/12/10 by masqua because: removed contested statement between myself and the author

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by remembrance_of_past
Thumbs up!

Btw, do not forget to publish your own info first. As "they" (don't we love to use the word, "they"!) say, practice what you preach!

I am afraid that I would be within the ATS population who would not subscribe, and thus would be "deemed to have something to hide". So former (and maybe present) associates would have to leak information about my plentiful misdeeds over the years.

Okay...partial disclosure here.

1) I once made out with a girl before I had broken up with my then current girlfriend
2) When I was 10 years old, I was caught shoplifting some chocolate bars...but I have never told my parents
3) When people say "How are you?"...I do not always disclose if I am feeling a little under the weather.
4) I have been known to smile and shake the hands of people I have no use for.

There is "probably" more that will come out when the leaks start coming in....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Anyway the point about Wikileaks is that it exposes decisions and attitudes of diplomats and public figures for what they are.

No it isn’t. Wikileaks has published private information on a number of occasions including membership details of a far right, but legal, political party in the UK (the BNP); documents that legally belonged to the church of scientology; private pager messages that were sent on 9/11 and even their own donor list.

People have it in their minds that wikileaks is a glorious revolution aimed at bringing down some evil new world order when it actually has an ideology of total transparency; if you give them something they will generally release it regardless of what it is.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Our governments are supposed to represent us (we the people). Yet they're not representing us...on the contrary, they're lying to us, hurting us, risking our lives, taking away our freedoms and liberties and making our lives all the more difficult... all for the purpose of protecting and ensuring their own interests.

We have given them the power to be able to do all this, and you're a damned fool if you believe we shouldn't be allowed to expose them for what they are, in order to strip them of that power.

To be honest, your whole premise/analogy for the OP is quite a lame one.

edit on 12/12/10 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Ultimately WikiLeaks may do more harm than good, or good than harm.
How can I say...for me, I can't say...yay or nay!
But ultimately in the end, transparency is what we must strive for, surely.
Too much secrecy, and shady dealings...are one of the causes of the mess we're in.
And your examples of Scientology and the BNP, well enough said...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
Our governments are supposed to represent us (we the people). Yet they're not representing us...on the contrary, they're lying to us, hurting us, risking our lives, taking away our freedoms and liberties and making our lives all the more difficult... all for the purpose of protecting and ensuring their own interests.

We have given them the power to be able to do all this, and you're a damned fool if you believe we shouldn't be allowed to expose them for what they are, in order to strip them of that power.

To be honest, your whole premise/analogy for the OP is quite a lame one.

edit on 12/12/10 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

Well, let's take this to a slightly different leve, but one at which I believe the premise/analogy still holds.

If you bought shares in a Corporation, and therefore you are one of "the people" of that enterprise.

If that Corporation had a number of Trade Secrets, and was involved in a number of secret negotiations with certain individuals, or other Corporations, or even Governments which might eventually lead to greater profits for said Corporation (and by extension, you)...would you support the idea of an employee of the Corporation transmitting certain of this information to an organization sworn to divulge nearly any and all information submitted to it?

As the Shareholder of a Corporation, you are in fact a part of the root of power of that organization. But your single vote (or the votes represented by your shareholdings) do not necessarily entitle you to access to all of the information held by that company - let alone entitle others outside of the organization access to the information you might come into possession of due to your association with the Company.

It is intuitively obvious, I think, that the unauthorized release of sensitive information can (and most likely will be) damaging to a person, organization or government - often even if the nature of that information is entirely proper and legal.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Transparency to what end and to what degree? And who decides?

Anyway your claim that wikileaks exists to expose public figures is wrong, they’re more than happy to divulge private, personal information.

And your examples of Scientology and the BNP, well enough said...

What do you mean?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
There is a good side and a bad side to every issue. You can nit-pick all day about individual leaks and whether or not it is a good thing or a bad thing that it came out.

Generally speaking, there is a lot of hanky panky that goes on in our name but behind our backs and it just feels good to a lot of us to get it out in the open.

But never mind that, your avatar is screwing up my eyeballs Mobus! I'm never quite sure what it is I am looking at. It keeps changing. Is that some plot?

edit on 12/12/2010 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I see where your coming from and I understand the analogy... but there's one key factor I don't think your quite getting... I'm no shareholder in this "corporation"... I'm the damn CEO, along with the rest of the citizens, and we're really getting pissed off at the people we've employed who are willfully neglecting to do their job. Not only that, but these arrogant employees of ours are actually committing treason by trying to take over our corporation to pursue their own selfish interests. They've just about broken all the rules we've set for them! I'm just damn thankful we CEO's hired the right detectives for the job! They've done brilliantly in going undercover and providing we the people with some solid evidence so that we can finally see to it that these criminals get fired! I believe they go by the name of "Wikileaks".

Or something like that.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All that info is already available to our herders,its called the Patriot Act, silly little troll. And Wikileaks is the peoples version of the patriot act. Lights on-Rats out.

Obama is all for transparency,whats the problem?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Secrets behind closed doors can’t be good for anyone really.
We as humans should be better than this.
If our diplomats are exposed for what they are, then I am all for it.
I have already said…I have no idea if WikiLeaks is a good or a bad thing.
Although in an ideal world there would be nothing to hide…although,
I am well aware the world is far from ideal.
There are also organizations that should be exposed for what they are,
Like Scientology or the BNP,
Perhaps WikiLeaks is not an ideal vehicle for any exposure, or transparency
But it could be a step in the right direction…and even if it isn’t, maybe some good
Will come out of it.
Are you a defender of Scientology and the BNP...good luck with that!
And before you try and drag me in to a discussion of either of these two organisations
they are not what the thread is about.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
There is a good side and a bad side to every issue. You can nit-pick all day about individual leaks and whether or not it is a good thing or a bad thing that it came out.

Generally speaking, there is a lot of hanky panky that goes on in our name but behind our backs and it just feels good to a lot of us to get it out in the open.

But never mind that, your avatar is screwing up my eyeballs Mobus! I'm never quite sure what it is I am looking at. It keeps changing. Is that some plot?

edit on 12/12/2010 by wayno because: (no reason given)

Thanks for this apt post about all things having good sides and bad sides...and seguing that into into my moniker and avatar...very clever.

A Mobius Strip is a strange three dimensional object that has only one side. If you place your index finger on one side of the object, and your thumb on the exact opposite side (or surface), both digits are actually still on the same side.

In a holistic universe sense, this describes perfectly how people can at times hold to entirely different views on a subject, but still be describing universal truths of one kind or another.

Okay, my head hurts now....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Nice line in sarcasm :-) However, you would appear to not understand the difference between personal privacy and state secrecy.

In a correctly functioning free society there must be a two way monitor between the state and the populace.

The state with its resources can lay your whole life bare with ease. You have no secrets to the state. Thats just a fact of life and if your living a normal life within societies laws its not something to be too concerned about.

But only if in the other direction, the populace can rely upon investigative journalism to find out if the state misbehaves. This relies upon people within the state apparatus having moral courage and telling journalists of transgressions. It also relies upon having a free society where leaks can be relayed to the populace to be judged.

There are valid secrets, technical, financial, military and political. Nation states and organisations cannot function without them. However there are invalid secrets. Covering up unlawful or incompetent behaviour for example. You rely on employees to behave responsibly and keep the secrets entrusted to them in almost all cases. But also you need people with courage to expose corruption when required.

It is not inconsistent to believe that the leaker 'manning' should spend 50 years in jail for breaking the law and showing poor judgement, but wikileaks and any other mainstream outlets should remain unmolested for passing the news on. Not many people are upset about manning being jailed because its the expected price to be paid for what he did.

People are upset because if the government can attack and destroy journalists handling the leaked data then you eliminate the feedback loop. If you take away the ability for the press to report on anything leaked marked secret then corruption and abuse will run rampant in the darkness. It means secrecy is a perfect criminal cloaking device. Thats the danger of whats happening now. You are creating a future where everybody must follow orders and remain silent no matter how immoral or illegal they know a thing to be. Those societies have existed before. It usually ends badly.

Comparing the state-to-citizen privacy relationship with the citizen-to-citizen privacy relationship is totally erroneous. Missing the bigger picture.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join