It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks protests in Spain over Julian Assange arrest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Wikileaks protests in Spain over Julian Assange arrest

www.bbc.co.uk

Protests have taken place across Spain calling for the release of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is facing extradition from the UK to Sweden for alleged sexual offences.

Hundreds of people gathered outside the British embassy in Madrid calling for him to be freed.

Wikileaks is publishing insights from hundreds of thousands of sensitive US diplomatic and military documents.

The demonstrators believe Mr Assange's detention is politically motivated
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
These are the first physical protests against the arrest of Julian Assange. The group claimed there would be more protests around Spain.

They are calling on the UK government to release him as he is viewed as a political prisoner. They are also calling for Amazon to restore there servers, and for Visa and Master Card to restore payments to the group.

I wonder if the car bombs in Sweden today are connected as well.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

And yet only a hand-full protest against this injustice in the UK.

The Ukraine had demonstrations in the hundreds as well. It seems the Brits only get fired-up over student fee cuts - how fickle.

Edit: They are not the first protests against the arrest of Assange. India has had very notable protests too. Assumptions are the mother of all *****-ups.
edit on 11-12-2010 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Way to go Spain! Will other countries follow their lead?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

edit on 11-12-2010 by kushin because: Delete, There's been a lot of anti British sentiment fuelled by recent events, having re -read my post I now see Larry Love is "allegedley" UK Based, and I recinde my rhetoric with an apology

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hundreds took to the streets in Australia 10 December 2010 across capital cities protesting:

www.news.com.au...

More organised protests are expected.
edit on 11-12-2010 by heffo7 because: to correct date of protest

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

You can only have so much protesting until you get tuckered out, now I am under the assumption that the tuition was raised somewhere around 300%. That is something to fight about too, the extradition process will take a while though.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
"hundreds" protested?

And the picture of the protest shows, well, FOUR protesters?

Hundreds of thousands of protesters might make a splash...but not these clam-bake sized things.

I'm thinking this 'world wide revolution' will be forgotten by next semester, frankly.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Good. We have to organize here. We need to have 100% solidarity backing him, beyind him. I blieve that if they put him in jail we need to show up by the millions until he's released. I don't think we can stand around passively, apathetically allowing any more martyrs.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well here in Spain it's not been mentioned on the telly, or in the press as of yet,
2nd line

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
i want to see a cable on israel
i want to see substance
but i see only smoke relayed by msm,
like 2towers before a fall

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

You better believe it's political. And, because of that, all the protests in the world will not get him released. Democracy, political intrigue and military adventurism do not mix. The reason is because the big $$$$ guys use these things to advance their private agendas and will not abide interference by the little folk.
edit on 12-12-2010 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think we need more media coverage of actual Americans saying that we think it's wrong for them to do that as well and also for us to say we don't agree with the actions of our government. Of course if we reject the workings of our government we become criminals but i suppose we can reject that as well

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
These protesters are ignorant.

Britain have correctly arrested him, pending extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning on certain charges. That is all that has happened.

What if he is actually guilty of the crimes that he is wanted for ?

It seems to me that Mr. Assange has got carte blanche to commit any crime that he wants, as people will still knee-jerkly cry 'set-up', whatever the truth or not of the matter.

edit on 12-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Obviously it is related to politics,but i don't think these protests can be useful .Because Julian really got on someone's nerves .As now he is arrested ,it is hard for him to get freedom .

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyvia
Obviously it is related to politics,but i don't think these protests can be useful .Because Julian really got on someone's nerves .As now he is arrested ,it is hard for him to get freedom .

Why is it ''obviously'' related to politics ?

How do you know that Mr. Assange isn't a reasonable suspect in the crimes that he's being accused of ?

edit on 12-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

How do you know that Mr. Assange isn't a reasonable suspect in the crimes that he's being accused of ?

There are strong indications he is not.
Here the way Glenn Beck is explaing the facts, at length lol.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
These protesters are ignorant.

Britain have correctly arrested him, pending extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning on certain charges. That is all that has happened.

What if he is actually guilty of the crimes that he is wanted for ?

It seems to me that Mr. Assange has got carte blanche to commit any crime that he wants, as people will still knee-jerkly cry 'set-up', whatever the truth or not of the matter.

Just like when people knee jerk and agree with the government when they charge some one with a crime. Even though its been proven time and time again that governments lie to us all the time. oh Im sorry, that is what this whole mess is about.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Second video, sorry for not posting before .

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

He may be guilty he may not be guilty, the evidence is flimsy at best, but why is it that a man who turned himself in, on allegations of rape is not granted bail, when a man arrested with allegations of hiring hitmen to murder his wife on honeymoon (Been all over uk press recently) is granted bail.

That alone should show the only reason for his arrest warrant is politically motivated.

<<   2 >>

join