It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: People behind WikiLeaks should be prosecuted

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Poll: People behind WikiLeaks should be prosecuted

www .mcclatchydc.com

"Clearly people are very unhappy with it," said Lee Miringoff, the director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., which conducted the national poll.

The survey found that 70 percent of Americans think the leaks are doing more harm than good by allowing America's enemies to see confidential and secret information about U.S. foreign policy.

Read more: www.mcclatchydc.com... 5p7Sn
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is either blatant propaganda, a rigged poll, or americans in this vicinity are a throw back to the sheeple generation of last decade. lol

This poll sounds almost as if it were designed by the clowns on Fox news who are calling for Assange to be assassinated.

My feeling is these types of polls and media hit pieces will be a last gasp effort at trying to re-brainwash the masses back into sleep under the guise of 'patriotism', the way they have done in the past with foreign conquests and other criminality.

Hopefully nobody is dumb enough to buy this though. I do not know a SINGLE person in my circle of family and friends who is against these leaks-They ALL think that exposing our pathologically lieing politicians and all of their criminalistic activities is FANTASTIC. haha

www .mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm gonna go ahead and say that Polls of this variety really don't mean much. A sample size of a little more than one thousand -- It's going to give you some results, but on a topic as divisive as this one, you'll get some serious inaccuracy.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Lol @ title thread.

In reply:- those who wish to do the prosecuting and enforcing it will have to enough bullets or, build enough cages, and feed 6 billion humans for life doing nothing but spending it behind bars.

Have fun..
edit on 11-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
almost 40,000 people have joined the facebook wikileaks site in the last 24 hours. i guess there aren't many americans amongst them then if that poll means anything lol

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Poll Questions can be posed and often are to lead people to an answer for instance:

Question: If Wiki-Leaks disclosed top secret clasified information from the U.S. Military that led directly to a devastating military attack on U.S. Soil from a foreign government that killed your spouse or significant other, mom, your puppy dog, and the last slice of apple pie in the refigerator would you like to see Julain Assange prosecuted?

Answer: Well yeah, I sure would, I love that puppy!

Translation for the readers of the result:

(Condensed version of question above) Would you like to see Julian Assange prosecuted?

(Condensed answer) Yes!

Most poll questions are specifically designed to lead to a very specific answer. That's all they are doing.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
the prosecutions should start inhouse
the last 4 presidents and their staff for starters
the congress
the senate
the military industrial complex
the bankers
wallstreet
drug manufacturers
oil industry
military contractors
department of energy
IRS
FBI
CIA
ETC!ETC!ETC!
then after that they can focus on the media

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
As discussed a myriad of times, polls are ridiculous. Want them skewed a certain way? Target a certain demographic simply by the time you place the call.

Anybody calling for the arrest and / or prosecution of WikiLeaks is asking for repeal of First Amendment Rights as they pertain to publishers. This would also include NYT, WSJ, CNN, etc. You can not prosecute WikiLeaks without lumping all publishers into the same category.

WikiLeaks distributed, also known as published, newsworthy, accurate information.... the same thing the NYT did when they published the Pentagon papers and the government lost their ability to stop them via the Supreme Court ruling to that affect.

The only way to prosecute WikiLeaks is to amend the First Amendment. And yes, it pertains to foreign publishers as well since the thought is that the readers of the United States are protected by the First Amendment and have the right to read this information.

Anybody calling for ANY amendment of the First Amendment is nuts in my opinion. They can already get around the First Amendment, and most others, simply by labeling their target as a "terrorist". In my opinion, that is way too much maneuvering room already.

The way to stop WikiLeaks is to prosecute the person or persons that stole the information in the first place. Treason, espionage....both viable charges. Without a thief, publishers can't publish the information.

Go after the thief, not the organization or person simply publishing it.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
I'm gonna go ahead and say that Polls of this variety really don't mean much. A sample size of a little more than one thousand -- It's going to give you some results, but on a topic as divisive as this one, you'll get some serious inaccuracy.

It all depends on the level of the awareness of the details. If people are only given a small sampling of them how can they make an well informed or even a half educated response?

Second, having an opposing opinion is not a sign of Brainwashing. I'm sorry, but that sounds like a Cop-Out response. It's easy to toss in names when one disagrees with the findings. What does that say about the ones who disagree with the findings? Anyone who disagrees are automatically brainwashed simply because they believe what they do?

The poll findings are what they are.

Good, Bad or Indifferent.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Poll Questions can be posed and often are to lead people to an answer for instance:

Question: If Wiki-Leaks disclosed top secret clasified information from the U.S. Military that led directly to a devastating military attack on U.S. Soil from a foreign government that killed your spouse or significant other, mom, your puppy dog, and the last slice of apple pie in the refigerator would you like to see Julain Assange prosecuted?

Answer: Well yeah, I sure would, I love that puppy!

That poll respondent is a monster. they are not even concerned about the pie.

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Second, having an opposing opinion is not a sign of Brainwashing. I'm sorry, but that sounds like a Cop-Out response. It's easy to toss in names when one disagrees with the findings. What does that say about the ones who disagree with the findings? Anyone who disagrees are automatically brainwashed simply because they believe what they do?

The poll findings are what they are.

Good, Bad or Indifferent.

Well said, Slayer. But I think there's more than "good bad or indifferent" at play -- I'm talking about "accurate or inaccurate" and think that's what we should all be talking about.

Well, and what the poll indicates.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is DEFINITELY BS!

There is no way that 70% of Americans seriously feel this way - this is just another attempt at propaganda to brainwash the masses. In this system the status quo = truth and when the sheeple that are pro-Wikileaks and even the sheeple that are undecided see this poll they will feel like they have the wrong opinion and will change their minds to go with that status-quo.

What BLATANT BS!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There was a political cartoon in a local paper here that was very misinformed.
It should Osama bin Laden holding a document that said "new targets" and talking to media (some of which were holding docs that read "new leaks") and Osama was proclaiming his appreciation and support of WL.

It's sickening to see a paper against WL, local paper is where most people get their news. Press against freedome of information. I have come up with my own WL cartoon and am trying to get my dad to illustrate it (he was a published political cartoonist during the Clinton era and had some cartoons published in slick times), but I doubt it would be printed as they are clearly biased.

On topic.. I would say they drew from a very limited group of American, possibly lead them, and unlikely very many youths. Of course.. a lot of Americans are buying into the propaganda so who knows?
edit on 11-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I'm sorry, that doesn't indicate a newspaper being against Wikileaks -- that indicates a Political Cartoonist being against Wikileaks. The inclusion of the cartoon doesn't indicate an agreement with the message, only an approval of the logic behind the opinion.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This poll sounds almost as if it were designed by the clowns on Fox news who are calling for Assange to be assassinated.

Assassinated? I don't think anyone wants that really, he isn't a treasonist, he's not an American. However, the person who stole the classified information should be punished for treason.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Same over here in Germany. The biggest news show reported, that about 65% of the Germans are against Wikileaks. An institute had done that poll by phone with about 1000 people.

On their internet-site they had the same poll. There far more than 40.000 people had voted and it was nearly 70%, who were for Wikileaks. But they did not report about that at all, since it was not a "scientific" poll.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I bet this poll is fake; but if not, then the Americans deserve what they get. A bunch of mindless fools who blindly follow the governments falsehoods. I honestly don't know what to think anymore, or if I have any hope. It feels like we're spiraling down this maelstrom of selfishness, greed, lies, hypocrisy, and endlessly corrupt higher ups who don't care a bit for the rights of the individuals. It's a depressingly confusing world we live in.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Eh I guess you are right based on just the little bit I said and as someone who doesn't read the paper. I should mention that all articles were slanted against wikileaks (there were actually two negative wikileaks articles and the cartoon in this one edition of the paper). It's a pretty shoddy rag, reporting is generally done by opinion, and I mean the reporting by the staff not just letters to the editor's and etc.

I will send in some pieces and cartoons that re supportive of WL and I'll update on if any of those are published.

You can at least agree that the content of the cartoon was fairly ill informed?
edit on 11-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
Same over here in Germany. The biggest news show reported, that about 65% of the Germans are against Wikileaks. An institute had done that poll by phone with about 1000 people.

On their internet-site they had the same poll. There far more than 40.000 people had voted and it was nearly 70%, who were for Wikileaks. But they did not report about that at all, since it was not a "scientific" poll.

This is a prime example of what I was saying. It's not just "Americans" or the way the poll was presented. It's the lack of awareness of the details. Whose fault is that? The people themselves for not educating themselves.

Be they Germans, Americans or the guy down the street etc.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Actually several people have called for Assange's assassination.
www.mazine.ws...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Assassinated? I don't think anyone wants that really

Except for the blowhards on Fox news:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Doesn't get more blatant and out in the open than that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join