It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA's own wikileaks mirror easily observed as CIA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

CIA's own wikileaks mirror easily observed as CIA.

www.boingboing.net

Looks like the CIA created a "honeypot" wikileaks mirror at wikileaks.psytek.net, presumably to see who is downloading the leaks—but they screwed up the anonymization.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Of course it doesn't necessarily mean they cared to hide it at all or it was in fact to observe who visits. As someone else commented it could simply be so they know what is posted as soon as it is posted by WL without visiting another mirror, and this mirror would be saved from being shutdown. However it still seems odd. Im sure they could get the info another way.
It's also not likely the CIA would fail so miserably at masking their identity. It may be intended to make people think other mirrors are secure as this is the obvious CIA mirror, probably not though.

They no doubt have better masked mirrors, either way, don't let that deter you from visiting other mirrors, just don't visit this one.

www.boingboing.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Is there any evidence to suggest that this is an actual mirror? All it says is "It works!"

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Check for yourself.
It's not hard to do. You have to understand how boingboing is.The content of the site is always legit. They wont post anything that isn't true. If they do they will post again with a correction ASAP.
The image is because "It Works" is the title of the page on the google search.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Also.. it was found out because this mirror was being circulated in (and in some cases at the top of) a lot of WL mirror lists.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hopefully Wikileaks will pickup on this quickly eh?

Cheers for posting.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a quick whois yielded this..

www.whois.net...

Domain Name: PSYTEK.NET
Registrar: CSL COMPUTER SERVICE LANGENBACH GMBH D/B/A JOKER.COM
Whois Server: whois.joker.com
Referral URL: www.joker.com...
Name Server: A.NS.JOKER.COM
Name Server: B.NS.JOKER.COM
Name Server: C.NS.JOKER.COM
Updated Date: 04-sep-2009
Creation Date: 22-may-2004
Expiration Date: 22-may-2012

netcraft
edit on 10-12-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Sad, entrapment used to be illegal..
Now it's accepted in all aspects of policing and intel....
What have we become???

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Your first edited suggested Virginia, the netcraft says Germany is the location.
Also Australia is in the info. What is your opinion of your searching?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yes. It's illegal for the CIA to gather info on U.S. civilians.
As was mentioned above, I hope WL warns people about this possibility.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by fordrew

Your first edited suggested Virginia, the netcraft says Germany is the location.
Also Australia is in the info. What is your opinion of your searching?

cia is at least smart enough to use an overseas provider ! I am really not sure what to make of this. But I am still not convinced by looking up this domain on google that it really does directly link this website to the CIA...

if anyone with more website management/ hacking skills wants to comment go ahead!

edit on 10-12-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I like what this guy said in the link,

Church
Wait, so if I download from a government agency, that means that the government approves of it. Right?

If the government is sponsoring the mirror and/or Wikileaks then they have put their stamp of approval that the material is legit, that the files are safe to download, and that they are being hosted on multiple mirrors for the sole purpose of improving their citizen’s access of downloading the leaks. I feel it is a Sike--Op! any way you look at it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
I like what this guy said in the link,

Church
Wait, so if I download from a government agency, that means that the government approves of it. Right?

If the government is sponsoring the mirror and/or Wikileaks then they have put their stamp of approval that the material is legit, that the files are safe to download, and that they are being hosted on multiple mirrors for the sole purpose of improving their citizen’s access of downloading the leaks. I feel it is a Sike--Op! any way you look at it.

Good work..So if it can be proven it IS a CIA or any Government agency site and if they post just ONE legitimate leaked WIKI cable, then they legitimise ALL of wiki's leaks or condem themselves to the same criminal actions.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Solasis

Check for yourself.
It's not hard to do. You have to understand how boingboing is.The content of the site is always legit. They wont post anything that isn't true. If they do they will post again with a correction ASAP.
The image is because "It Works" is the title of the page on the google search.

Well, I did check for myself. All it says is "It works!" I was not questioning whether it was a CIA property -- i took your word for that. They wouldn't even be keeping track of who was downloading the leaks -- they would be keeping track of who was interested in seeing the page the leaks were on.

Still would be awful, but the site clearly is not currently mirroring wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

A common ploy used in surveillance is the "obvious tail." They put one or two people on the trail that can be easily spotted. Then they are instructed to be easy to shake off. Once you get past the tails and start feeling secure you become sloppy. That is when the hidden ones can catch you off guard.

Seems like the CIA made it through basic surveillance 101.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Since this is a government agency participating in the distribution of "illegal material" via their mirror of Wikileaks, then when can we expect Mr. Assange to be released? After all, it must no longer be illegal or damaging to this country if the CIA can also provide these files for downloading.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
After looking into this a big more.. I'm not sure what the proof was as it apparently went offline very very shortly after these small stories broke. Which is odd because it was on the mirrors list. Like others here I did the "whois" search and didn't get much, but if you look around, before it went down, people apparently had some evidence.

www.techdirt.com...
www.reddit.com...

and not that this proves anything, but another poster posted this and it is interesting to see where the majority of searches from Wikileaks is coming from.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Dude that original boing boing link isnt working any more its been shut down... and it's not even your link being bad... I googled boingboing wikileaks and CIA and the link on news.google.com is the same one!!!

So now, you will see me say something I haven't ...

HOLY CRAP THE CIA ACTUALLY JUST SHUT DOWN THAT STORY!!!!!!

Uhm... You may want to back up this thread... I know I am... because if they can pressure boingboing, then they can pressure ATS...

UPDATE: Evidence

It existed on Google...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c4461f275af.png[/atsimg]

It existed on tweet meme by many many tweeters...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0e70a15b166.png[/atsimg]

And now it's gone!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f923fbf0f4ac.png[/atsimg]

But google still has a cached photo of the page...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5c209732b47.png[/atsimg]
edit on 11-12-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Don't let this story die... ATS is the only place covering this disappearance...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

HOLY shiz!. It looks like it was really shutdown. I believe you, I read the whole article.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join