It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for Self-Defence, Including Extranormal Threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
A little research/advice thread I decided to put together. Applicable to normal threats, societal breakdown and extranormal adversaries. Much is best applied to non-intelligent cryptid-type foes, as well as human opponents (with some modifications).

The first thing you need to do is train yourself. All the weapons and technology in the world won't help if you're to weak to use it. Second thing is don't buy cheap on your gear. Take my word on this one. Third, don't go with anything above your skill level. You need to know what you're doing to succeed. A well-trained person with an axe will fare better than someone with a 20mm cannon and no training.

To start, choose what you want to use. Rifle, pistol, blade, bludgeon or what have you. Make sure it's powerful enough to stop something bigger than a man. My suggestion is to know multiple weapons in whatever classes you choose. A good bet (if you live somewhere where it's possible) is to know your way around firearms. Not out of bias towards one fighting style, but practicality. A hundred yard shot on a threat will pose less risk than close combat. However, it is imperative that you know how to defend yourself in extreme CQB. Again, take my word on this. In choosing a firearm, you should look for a simple, practical big-bore rifle, in the .30 caliber/7mm range or above. Anything below this won't reliably drop a human-sized or larger target. Ideally, avoid self-loading models and anything falling under the current "tactical" trend. Too complex, and prone to malfunctions. Don't skimp on quality, either. A custom rifle isn't necessary, but a cheap Chinese carbine will likely let you down when you need it. Don't rely on optics, either. A plain glass and metal, fixed magnification scope is fine, but be sure to have iron sights as well. Train on both. If you choose to use a handgun, a revolver above .38 caliber is a good bet. Nearly any malfunction in a revolver is solved by stroking the trigger again.

Choose your ammunition well. Surplus ammo is not a good idea. It may be cheap, but it can't match the reliability or accuracy of quality factory ammo or well-developed handloads. Fancy polymer-capped or nickel-washed rounds aren't necessary either. Stick to high-velocity hollowpoints or other expanding bullets and you'll do well. Always aim for the center mass of the target, and you should succeed.

Some suggestions for rifle and caliber selection:
- Below .30 caliber or above .50 caliber is a waste. Think of this as a heavy big-game rifle, and you'll be fine.
- Express rifles and calibers (in the African hunter style) are acceptable, if somewhat expensive. Again, above .50 caliber is too much, so stick to the .450/400 Nitro range. An exception to this rule would be if the target is above elephant-size. In that case, anything from .577 Nitro Express to .950 JDJ (if you can afford it) would be desired.
- Go with bolt- or lever-action, or break-open breechloaders. Shot placement and power are more important than firing rate.
- Shotguns are, as always, an excellent choice in close quarters. Nothing less than 12-gauge is acceptable. 10-gauge is ideal, if difficult to get. Load 00 or 000 buckshot, or any type of slug.
- A longer barrel usually means more accuracy, but a shorter one gives easier handling in tight quarters. Decide which is more important.

If you go for a blade or bludgeon, you're in for a tougher fight. First things first, make sure your chosen weapon is strong enough to withstand combat. Replicas need not apply. As a rule, it's easier and cheaper to improvise a melee weapon than to buy a combat-ready model. If you have the capital to invest in a custom-made sword or warhammer, go ahead, but a mass-produced tool might be cheaper. This isn't as true with bludgeons, but a handmade mace might still run into the hundreds of dollars. On the other end of the scale, don't cut corners on a tool that may save your life. A quality machete or crowbar will run between $30-$70. When choosing a meleé weapon, fit and feel are most important. A zweihander might be deadly, but in the hands of a 5 foot tall 90 pound woman, it won't be very useful. One thing to remember with these weapons is that customization is always an option, and often a good idea. Anyone can wrap a handle in duct tape for durability and grip, and the more skilled among us could make a new grip entirely, as well as re-contouring a blade and many other things. Buy quality, and make it fit you.

Some tips:
- Machetes, kukris, brush axes and ditch blades are good choices in blades. They're light enough to carry easily, and can do serious damage.
- Be sure your blades are sharp. It takes little effort and skill to sharpen a weapon.
- Long-shafted implements like shovels, scrapers and certain axes take more skill to use, but pay dividends in safety.
- Any weapon capable of generating enough momentum to require a committed swing are a bad idea. Anything that will throw your balance is more of a risk, even though they provide supreme damage.
- Discount power tools entirely. Too heavy, limited use, and more of a risk to you than anyone or anything else. Have you ever seen what a chainsaw will do when it connects with bone? It'll kick back and kill you. A third thing to take my word on.
- Fighting knives can go either way. A solid Ka-Bar makes a great tool and a decent backup weapon. A push dagger or boot knife does not.
- Serrations are a bad thing. While they might be good for cutting meat and twine, they are not good when you need to withdraw your blade from a torso.
- No saws. Ever.

And finally, some general tips:
- Wear something sturdy on your feet. Your boots are the only clothing item that can double as a weapon.
- Speaking of clothing, it needs to be functional. Dress for the environment, and maintain as much mobility as you can.
- A flashlight is your friend. Best make it a sturdy one so you can strike with it.
- Always carry a backup to your chosen weapon. You'll need it.
- Plan ahead, but know that no plan survives contact with the opposition.
- Trust no one.
- Don't believe everything you hear or read.
- Folklore is usually bull. If a silver bullet will injure it, chances are a .45-70 slug will too.
- Eyes open ALL the time. Don't drop your guard.
- Observe. Don't just look. You've got 5 senses for a reason.
- If something feels "wrong", chances are it is. Trust your intuition.
- There might be a sixth sense, but it hasn't been proven. Use it anyways.
edit on 10-12-2010 by ShadeWolf because: Removed poststamp from previous location (don't worry, it's not stolen, just posted elsewhere first)

edit on 10-12-2010 by ShadeWolf because: changed the title

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
How is this specific to the Extranormal? why not title it Here are my opinions on equipping yourself with a weapon? or simply Defensing oneself?
Apart from the silver bullet comment I fail to see any connection regarding the paranormal

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Eh, it was supposed to be a lot more focused, but I ended up going to a much wider spectrum. Still, a lot of it holds very true if you're dealing with nonconventional threats. Title changed for clarity.

Oh, and to the idiot who asked me if I was in a mental institution: nope, but by the sounds of it you ought to be.
edit on 10-12-2010 by ShadeWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
can a raving lunatic psycho pedophile wearing a mechsuit be classified extranormal? where can i shoot one?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Can you please name some of these "extranormal threats"?

Sorry, but I think if you have a brain then it should be used to avoid having to use most of the things you have mentioned here, which are in reality...preparation and a last resort but NOT the most effective weapons or defenses.

What are you trying to achieve with this thread other than give TPTB a reason to cart people away after playing right into their hands and giving them an excuse?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Can you please name some of these "extranormal threats"?

Sorry, but I think if you have a brain then it should be used to avoid having to use most of the things you have mentioned here, which are in reality...preparation and a last resort but NOT the most effective weapons or defenses.

What are you trying to achieve with this thread other than give TPTB a reason to cart people away after playing right into their hands and giving them an excuse?

Of course. Advising people on defence against any kind of threat is "playing right into the hands of TPTB". All of this applies to any breakdown of society, as well as any sort of corporeal entity, including many I've seen discussed elsewhere on ATS. Examples include cryptids, hostile people, and anything else with a body that's not recognized by science.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Good info, if fairly general.

A couple tips I would add:

-Know your terrain. Even if only through a few camping trips, know what it's like in your neck of the woods.
-Get an edible plants book for your region, and never lose it.
-A handgun is a defensive weapon, and should not be relied on as a primary.
-Forget all other machetes-a carbon steel kukri is all you will ever need. Doubles also as a hatchet.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

cheat

Never fight fair.

Someone breaking into my house while i am home would run into a cloud of bear repellent.
A also have a gas mask with my 1911 .45.
This gives me a tactical advantage of surprise when they can not see or get a breath of air.

It only takes a second to fill a room with bear repellent as you retreat to a defensible position.

The criminal will be so surprised they likely will retreat.
If they do keep coming they likely will be in no shape to fight.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
Examples include cryptids, hostile people, and anything else with a body that's not recognized by science.

Ah yeah, get those all the time round here.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Very amusing post.

Basically you favor a gun of some sort.

Typical.

I prefer the Medical Scalpel and a weighted catapult.

easy to conceal, can carry upto 400 scalpel blades without weighing me down and I can use stones as the ammo for the catapult. Again im not weighed down as stone are found in nature UNLIKE bullets..

From any distance of upto 40 yards these two can be lethal if not maiming.

I have always preferred a knife

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I prefer to bait my enemy then unleash my hives of killer bees on them...works every time.

the trick is to release an air burst of pheromone over your enemies troops that triggers the bees into a killing frenzy

there's nothing more powerful than mother nature
edit on 10-12-2010 by aliengenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The problem with knives is their lack of reach. They takea lot of skill to use against an armed opponent, but are excelent when in really close, or with the element of surprise. That is why most consider them to be a backup. Also ShadeWolf, how do you feel about the M1 garand (others answere to please). I have asked this before and will continue asking (I want a widly held veiw of the garand).
edit on 10-12-2010 by JDBlack because: cant write

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If you want to see what knife will last if you come across any extranormal threats
then check this guys website out. He tests all sorts of knives untill they are pretty much destroyed

test knives untill they break

Ive linked it to the kukri seen as it was mentioned earlier.

edit on 11-12-2010 by alanmooncat because: spelling

edit on 11-12-2010 by alanmooncat because: more spelling do'h

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
How about Holy Water Grenades(either thrown by hands or fired from Grenade Launchers) against Paranormal and Supernatural threats?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

Hrm. Not too fond of the idea (since holy water is chemically still H2O), but if my generalization regarding folklore being exaggerated turns out to be false, by all means give it a go. Modern firepower first, folklore second. But if it gives you more confidence, go ahead and dip your ammo in holy water or cast yourself some silver bullets. Or you could get some sulfuric acid blessed. Same effect whether the blessing works or not.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

Hrm. Not too fond of the idea (since holy water is chemically still H2O), but if my generalization regarding folklore being exaggerated turns out to be false, by all means give it a go. Modern firepower first, folklore second. But if it gives you more confidence, go ahead and dip your ammo in holy water or cast yourself some silver bullets. Or you could get some sulfuric acid blessed. Same effect whether the blessing works or not.

Chemistry doesn't matter, but what does matter is the water memory itself and for further info, watch this video: vimeo.com... as well following links: www.bibliotecapleyades.net... www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

2 things. 1) water memory has never been proven, despite many tests. Only certain people seem capable of getting results, which screams falsified data. 2) the water actually has to have something dissolved into it to be capable of any sort of memory effect (which dissipates after roughly 50 milliseconds). As far as I'm aware, holy water is just regular H2O with a few choice words spoken over it.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
out of curiosity, could yuo rate the weapons that i use in "hunting". i use two explosives, one uses black powder that is packed at uses metal shrapnal and clay to cause damage. the other explosive is unique because it is made for combat in water. it uses the igniter in an airtight bottle. the bottle had clay and shrpnal wrapped around it also. the explosive detonates by me opening the bottle and allowing water to enter it, i then close it and throw. those are my explosives and medium range weapons/ for far range i use a 30-30 scope bolt action rifle. for close range i use either a sword cane or a variety of hidden knifes incase the prey can be taken down with them. if i need to face a larger best i use a saber or an axe. please critique my weapons for me

top topics

join