It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Slams West for Wikileaks' Assange Arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Putin Slams West for Wikileaks' Assange Arrest

abcnews.go.com

The arrest of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for sexual misconduct illustrates the hypocrisy of the West about democracy, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says.

In the strongest comments to come out of Russia in the latest WikiLeaks saga, Putin also took aim at the U.S. for the cables, some of which had derided Russia a "mafia state."

Assange's arrest in London earlier this week indicated that the West isn't as democratic as it thinks it is, Putin suggested.

"If there is democracy, it must be a full one. Why did they jail Mr. Assange? Is that democracy?" Putin said at a n
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
WOW... I knew that Russia was sympathetic to Assange.. But to blast the US over the arrest...

Apparently we here at ATS aren't the only ones that see his arrest as a move from the US govt.

This could get interesting. How do you think the US will respond? "Mind your own business"

I wonder if Russia will feel the same way, when their secret info is released..

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I find it comical, Putin only feels that way because the link didn't come from Russia and Russia is not the primary focus. If it had or it was, I bet Putin would have a very different opinion and arrest would be the least of their worries.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

On Thursday, Russia called on NATO to explain a recently released cable that showed NATO was drawing up plans to defend Baltic countries from a Russian attack.

"With one hand, NATO seeks agreement with us on joint partnership, and with the other, it makes a decision that it needs to defend," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters. "So when is NATO more sincere?"

"We have asked these questions and are expecting answers to them. We think we are entitled to that," Larvrov added.

Seems NATO needs to do some explaining..

This planet is seriously in turmoil!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

Putin is off here.. He talks about the arrest in the manner Assange was arrested for the leaks, and not for the supposed sexual misconduct.

Also of all the other world leaders, Putin has not room to talk since ha singly handedly rolled bacl personal freedoms when he was President, and continues doing that as Prime Minister. From imprisoning opposition news services, to firing Mayors and replacing them with loyalists, to arresting business owners and nationalizing their companies.

No issues here with criticism, but when it comes from Putin of all people, its nothing more than lip service.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I think its a bold move by Putin, no other head of state have the guts to say anything that might oppose the US. Waiting for some remarks from Australia, they ought to defend their citizens better.
edit on 10-12-2010 by abaddon6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
lol nice find man lol

Russia doesnt have much love for the US and never have in the past. Its an excuse to have a dig at them.....i aint gonna stand in thier way, go ahead Mr Putin, stick it to the man lol haha

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Putin is off here.. He talks about the arrest in the manner Assange was arrested for the leaks, and not for the supposed sexual misconduct.

Also of all the other world leaders, Putin has not room to talk since ha singly handedly rolled bacl personal freedoms when he was President, and continues doing that as Prime Minister. From imprisoning opposition news services, to firing Mayors and replacing them with loyalists, to arresting business owners and nationalizing their companies.

No issues here with criticism, but when it comes from Putin of all people, its nothing more than lip service.
So the american gov't isn't rolling back personal freedoms? Please. Yes it might be funny coming from Putin but that doesn't make him wrong. It's showing the world these governments are accountable to no one. They sell us stories and we buy them hook line and sinker. That being said the people are waking up.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
can anyone tell me how the russians would of treated him
if the shoes were on the other feat as one would say?

put him up in a 5 star hotel?
Full works?

since hes being so bold about this he must be thinking to him self they would have done better

edit on 10-12-2010 by illusive man because: ?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If Assange was russian, he would be dead by a strange nuclear chemical by now.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Putin. lol...mans a joke.

Anyhow...so ya..an australian, wanted in sweden, turns himself in to authorities in the UK

I knew somehow this was the US's fault!

Guys off his rocker....hey Putin...guess what, Russia IS like a flipping mafia rule. Suck it up, your not pure and innocent..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I agree with Putin on this, the land of the free after a man who is fighting for openess in government and truth,
very strange move from America. The American government are under real pressure and its all due to their own arrogance. Putin can see that America are against the ropes and his bark is a reminder to America, I am still Top Dog.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Who cares what Putin says....its Putin for pete sakes?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

haha what? No Ifs or buts. The fact is, putin is going tabloid

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ROFL

Putin commenting about espionage, democracy, and hypocrisy is simply too much for me to handle.

I have only two words for ole Vlady...........

Alexander Litvinenko

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Heh heh - I actually find this kind of funny. Putin is quite a character.

As others have mentioned, Putin (and Russia) have no room to talk when it comes to freedoms, transparency or behind the scenes dirty deals.

But, he does have a very valid point in that the leaks show the US is nowhere near as squeaky clean as they like to act.

However, the end of the day I think his overriding reasons is that he is not got going to let an opportunity to take a swipe at the US pass by.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blaenau2000

"Still top Dog"

Since when has Russia been top dog?? Or do you mean that he has his hand up Medvedev's but controlling him like a puppet?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
For a guy to portray himself as this big wig, only to be the KGB's hand puppet, its rather laughable to even take this dude seriously?

Putin actually reminds me of Barney Rubble!...that Barney, what a character!
edit on 10-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I highly doubt that he is a hand puppet. My opinion is... it is he, that is the current puppet master in Russia. Of course he bows to the dollar "old money"... But for the most part, I think he is pulling the strings.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

We need a bit of ..... Russi Leaks...............

That would be seriously interesting.....................

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join