It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora: $190k seized because brothers were drug suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Aurora: $190k seized because brothers were drug suspects

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

Two brothers who say police unlawfully seized more than $190,000 from them during a traffic stop had been under surveillance and were suspected of drug-dealing, a lawyer for the city of Aurora said today during a court hearing.

Though neither Jose nor Jesus Martinez is charged with a crime, authorities are seeking forfeiture of $190,040 found in Jesus' truck when he was stopped by an Aurora police officer on Oct. 18.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is a story that will make your blood boil and surprisingly enough, I have heard similar testimony before. How can the government seize money without charging you with a crime? I guess in a free country that adheres to any kind of justice wouldn't do such a thing.

Now apparently, you are guilty until proven innocent, which is a farce. Sadly, even if these guys do get their money back, it will only be after they spend a ton of it trying to get it back.

Authorities should not be able to sieze money unless and until they can prove a crime, in which case these brothers should be charged with a crime.

However, on another note, why isn't the government's siezing money fromt he banks? No, instead of siezing their money or assets, we have it taken by force to give them more!

Just take a step back and look at what this country has become.

--airspoon

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is pretty common....

I had an incident a few years back where I was pulled over and detained (later found innocent all charges dropped)

But in my trunk I had legally obtained firearms parts... (about 2500 dollars worth of them) I was never issued any receipt or other notification saying they were taken. And when I told the judge I wanted them back he looked at the paper work and said they didn't take any firearm parts from your trunk it says so right here in the paper work.

So more or less I had 2500 dollars worth of parts stolen from me by the police and ZERO recourse for any way of getting compensated or etc. And when I told the judge well I had the parts I can provide the receipts and documentation etc and this needs to be handled he threatened to hold me in contempt. Then proceeded to tell me that the charges were dropped and I was "lucky" for that and they could be reinstated if I wanted to make an issue out of the parts taken and not documented, at which point the parts would have been seized legally and I would have no recourse still.

So when I tried to bring this to the judges attention I was THREATENED for asking for MY PROPERTY that was STOLEN to be returned. The judge even full out said he didn't care one way or the other and if I wanted to make an issue out of it insinuated I would end up somehow being found guilty of the baseless charges that had been dropped. I was basically told I had no rights except what they CHOOSE to ALLOW me to have at the current juncture and that I should somehow be GRATEFUL to them for not finding me guilty of CRIMES I DID NOT COMMIT!!!

This country is racing towards backwards Kleptocracy status so fast you can hear the sonic boom as it passes.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Posted it yesterday my brotha...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But it is certainly one of those cases that EVERYBODY should be paying attention to, as it exemplifies a GIGANTIC problem that the masses are facing---the 'accepted' violation and STEALING from the citizenry, from those in positions of power. It is really disturbing.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This kind of thing probably happens 100x a day throughout USA. They can take anything they want in regards to your assets. Furniture, clothing, whatever. Good luck ever getting it back.

Safety deposit boxes are probably your best bet as I have not heard of a case where 5-0 has had access to one.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
safety deposit boxes can be seized to with a court order. cops tried shaking me down when i was younger saying they had a llaw that said in part of town i was walking through individuals were not allowed to carry large amounts of cash and that he would have to seize my money i told him if he took my money i would need a receipt his badge a supervisor present and he asked why i said so i could give my cousin the top attorney in town all the details before i sued the city and police for violating my civil rights. i got to keep my money. my town has lots of bull fodder laws on the books . in my town you can get a fine for drinking in your living room . ordinace says you shall not drink alcoholic beverages within ten feet of curb some house are built right on alleyways so your living room would be within said parameters.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Interesting.

I never have understood why you cannot carry as much cash as you please. That just seems extremely wrong. On the other hand you can carry around an AMEX with unlimited buying power....

I also believe in airports there is a limit to the amount of cash you can carry at one time. No where to stash it even anymore!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The siezure of this cash will be used as evidence towards any charges that may be brought to court.

It's been happening for decades. It's nothing new.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

this is why i dont EVER carry cash

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
As mentioned here already this happens every day. In essence in this case as with others the money is what is under arrest. This is totally an abuse of authority and rarely does the person get their property back. This type of case goes to civil court thus much harder to prove the aledged property innocent.

top topics

join