It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rights groups report Iran stoning woman released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Rights groups report Iran stoning woman released

www.newsdaily.com

TEHRAN, Dec. 9, 2010 (Reuters) — A European human rights group said on Thursday an Iranian woman who had been sentenced to death by stoning had been freed, but there was no confirmation from Iran.

The International Committee Against Stoning, based in Germany, said it had heard from "sources in Iran" that Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani had been freed.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini welcomed the "excellent news" although the ministry said the comment was based on the committee's report which it was trying to verify.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This will be fantastic news for the condemned woman and her family if this bears out and is verified. I for one hope it is.

It would be a notable softening on Iran’s hard line theological stance where it comes to religious law, and be a welcome gesture to those moderates and liberals living in Iran and those who are adamantly against such draconian punishments abroad.

One does have to wonder though why this news isn’t coming out of Tehran officially as of yet.

Perhaps a face saving gesture or a nod to religious conservatives within Iran or their Official News Agency and the Leadership is just waiting for maximum effect in the announcement.

This will be great news if it pans out.

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

One does have to wonder though why this news isn’t coming out of Tehran officially as of yet.

Or it hasn't happened, her release that is ... I guess we won't know for awhile, if at all. Every report I've read suggested that the suspicion that she has been released stems from a recently released photo taken of her and her son at her home. However, it hasn't been verified when that photo was taken. So, nobody knows.

edit on 9-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well I guess all we can do is cross our fingers and wait to see. The last I heard (a few weeks ago) is that the Iranian Government had ok'd the execution and that her son was refused permission to visit her. So I think in the least it's good news that no official announcement stating she was executed by the Iranian government or her son or exiled attorney has come forth.

Hopefully she is still alived and has her freedom too.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Agreed. Wait and see, game ... I'm sure Tehran will make some sort of announcement when it fits their schedule.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This is injustice.

She was convicted. She helped murder her own husband brutally.

She deserves to be hanged.

If she is innocent, that is a whole different story.

I want to know why Iran has decided to not pursue justice, if she is actually guilty.

Funny how not long ago US went a long and killed a mentally ill women for helping with her husband's murder, yet they are pushing for her punishment to be cancelled.

If Iran has done this due to external pressure, Iran has lost.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

"Contrary to a vast publicity campaign by Western media that confessed murderer Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani has been released, a broadcast production team with the Iran-based Press TV has arranged with Iran's judicial authorities to follow Ashtiani to her house to produce a visual recount of the crime at the murder scene," Press TV said on its website.

english.aljazeera.net...

Praise the lord for justice, I almost fell out of my chair.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If she was guilty of murder she shoud GO TO JAIL.
EXECUTION of criminals, or for that case ANY HUMAN is out of the question for ANY civilized person.
That HAS to be the BASELINE. If not, we're screwed.

top topics

join