It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA buries hundreds of unclaimed dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

LA buries hundreds of unclaimed dead

www.news.com.au

AUTHORITIES in Los Angeles County have buried the cremated remains of more than 1600 people in a mass ceremony.

County officials said yesterday that the ashes were from 1689 bodies that were cremated in 2007 and were unidentified or unclaimed.

Chaplains from Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center recited interfaith prayers and placed calla lilies, roses and camellias on the mass grave in a public cemetery as a a few dozen coroner's officials, county employees and bystanders watched.

The county has held a similar ceremony each year dating back at least 60 years.

Those who are buried
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is interesting but it is understandable that something would happen with people who have no known family, can not be indentified or the homeless. Its sad to read about it but its an unfortunate reality. According to the article this has been happening for the passed 60 years in LA. Has any one heard of this before?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i take it when a person dies in la, they dont really do much investigating. i wonder how many of these where black or hispanic.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that most of them were homeless John Does/Jane Does.... It's got to be hard for officials to decide what to do with the bodies of homeless people in such a big city. Any way, I'm not sure this is really breaking news, interesting none the less.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
in england we probably only have about a few hundred homeless people, we dont see them on the streets and even the beggers usually have some form of accomodation. the only homeless people are those who want to be homeless and i find it astonoshing that a country as rich and prosperous as america could have levels of poverty that would be unheard of in third world countries such as cuba.
remember the little man as he will poo on your street and piss up your door if your not careful
edit on 9-12-2010 by lewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
i i find it astonoshing that aas rich and prosperous as america could have levels of poverty that would be unheard of in third world countries such as cuba.

knock knock, America is not rich and prosperous anymore
edit on 9-12-2010 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2010 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
im betting a big percentage of those corpses were knowingly "forgotten" and left by relatives that did not have the money to give them a proper burial.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

. According to the article this has been happening for the passed 60 years in LA. Has any one heard of this before?

Most counties do have a "Paupers Field". They often stack the "butter dish" style coffins with three or four on top of each other. Headstones are not allowed; flowers and trinkets are not allowed. Usually the graveyard is just a fenced in lot somewhere off to the side of an established cemetery. They mow the grass a couple of times a year and it just looks like an empty restricted lot.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

yes sorry i was living in the past slightly, i still find it a bit crazy though even though there are now more prosperous nations(or a nation), but this is the usa, the land of hope, freedom, cheap gas and democracy i would have thought they could check a few dental records and finger prints as i bet most homeless people have been involved with the police before or am i just being a bit steriotypical

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

i take it when a person dies in la, they dont really do much investigating. i wonder how many of these where black or hispanic.

Well they are all Black and Brown now..!!
2nd line

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

why not just cremate them and let the ashes blow away in the wind, seems a good way to go if you where living on the streets.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GammaRayBurst

such bad taste but it did make me laugh

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

in england we probably only have about a few hundred homeless people, we dont see them on the streets and even the beggers usually have some form of accomodation. the only homeless people are those who want to be homeless and i find it astonoshing that a country as rich and prosperous as america could have levels of poverty that would be unheard of in third world countries such as cuba.
remember the little man as he will poo on your street and piss up your door if your not careful
edit on 9-12-2010 by lewman because: (no reason given)

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that you'd be wrong. A couple of hundred homeless in a country of over 50 million people? and as for 'the only homeless people are those who want to be homeless' are you kidding? Open your eyes buddy!
Wiki link from typing 'homeless in england' into google

The official figures[3] from the Department for Communities and Local Government for England (not including the rest of the UK) are that on average 498 people sleep rough each night, with 248 of those in London. There are a total of 84,900 households (which may contain more than one person) that are classified as homeless. Some homelessness workers have claimed that these figures are manipulated to give a lower number of people sleeping rough.[4]

Remember, not all who are homeless are "rough" each night, like the stereotypical sleeping under bridges stuffing newspaper down their shirts and hovering over dumpster bonfires, there are plenty sleeping in cars, at friends places, family have taken them in temporarily, shelters, etc etc.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
for some reason, when i read the title "unclaimed dead", I think of "unclaimed furniture", and then I start to think of corpses being used as furniture - their stiffened corpses bent and shaped into settees, recliners, footstools, etc.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
if you live in a hostel, in england under laws brought in when tony blair was leader, you are classed as homeless. i understand the meaning of being homeless but i have slept on friends sofas and been in hostels before and i never once classed myself as being without a home as i always knew where i would be sleeping that night.
the conservitive government tried to bring up these statistics a few years back but where laughed oput of the house of commons when the statistics of how many of these homeless people where infact in temporary accomodation.
being homeless in the uk and the us are entirely different things as a person who sleeps on the streets por in a car is a very rare thing in england(i cant comment on the rest of the uk as i have not much experience of living in these parts).
it took me two days to get somewhere (a hostel) when i last had problems with my housing situation.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A lot of those bodies are probably undocumented illegal immigrants (which is a big problem in LA). They come here alone, no identification, no documentation, leaving their families in Mexico (or another country). Then they somehow die without leaving any information about their name, or who to contact in Mexico (or another country). Nobody to identify them, and nobody knows they are dead.

It happens.
edit on 9-12-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

i apologise i was meaning street sleepers but worded it wrongly(could blame the wine), although your stats do show that the rough sleepers are in the hundreds which would prove me right if anyone believes what i meant, but who cares about being proven right to people you will probably never meet as there are people dying with no one to even shed a tear for them so maybe this is all just a load of crap and we should all love one another and have a big cuddle with the nearest person in need.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

America has open borders to third world countries. It's estimated we currently have around 12 million. Poverty programs here for the poor are fine. Unlike England, the US has a safety net transitioning poor rather than a hammock. We have jobs training and programs for the poor. Welfare is not endless in the US.

new topics

top topics

join