It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Deputy Fatally Shot at Traffic Stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Florida Deputy Fatally Shot at Traffic Stop

www.officer.com

ORLANDO, Fla. --

The Orange County Sheriff's Office identified a deputy shot and killed during a traffic stop on Wednesday night.

At a news conference on Thursday, Sheriff Jerry Demings said his force is mourning the loss of Deputy Brandon Coates.

Demings said investigators were working to determine how a routine traffic stop ended in a fatal shooting.

Authorities said the traffic stop happened at about 8:27 p.m. Coates indicated on his radio that he had pulled over a white Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.

"He came up on the radio, gave details about the traffic stop in the a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.officer.com
Link with some Video
edit on 9-12-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This Deputy was personally known to me, sort of a friend of a friend, but still personally known. This is a very sad and disturbing story. I think the Tasers should be recalled from all officers! They are abused too often, and on the flipside they don't provide the protection needed in life and death struggles! This man was a newly wed and an overall good guy, and this happened at a routine traffic stop. Worse yet the suspect ran off and killed himself, so there will never be any closure or explanation for the event. Sad, sad story. I will continue to follow the story and post updates if they become available.

www.officer.com

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm very sorry to hear this. As an LEO it breaks my heart. It drives home the point that there is no such thing as a routine traffic stop.
Brace yourself for the cop haters on here that will have some unsensitive comments to make.
Sorry for your lost.
Seeashrink

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I really have no idea how the guy took two to the head and survived the trip to the hospital. That alone is a miracle. I don't think they need to remove the tazers, they have done a lot of harm, but also has saved lives.It seems the man didn't take the proper precautions when pulling the truck over.

Was he aware of the crooks in the car? If so, why didn't he immediately call for backup? Sounds like he was trying to be a hero cop. It is an unfortunate event and is horrible, but things can be avoided.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Thank you. His new wife is an officer on the same force, I can't imagine how she must feel. They were both giddy and happy about their new marriage, and now this.

Please take care as an LEO, there certainly is no such thing as a "routine" anything. Wear your vest, take precautions, and expect the unexpected. Supposedly the suspect had a long record, but nothing violent, and yet somehow they got two headshots on the deputy?!?!?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BioChemMatt

I don't know anything more than what is in the article. A friend called me a little while ago to tell me that it happened, and I went and looked up the details online.

I don't get the impression that he was trying to do anything heroic or drastic, just a traffic stop that turned violent, he tried to use his tazer, but they used lethal force. Apparently witnesses came to his aid and help arrived fairly quickly.

I will definitely let you know if I get more details.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
HOLY CRAP them cop killers suck i'm in florida and a cop gets shot every other month...
havn't seen this yet.... i'll turn on the locals thanks S and F stranger!!!
edit on 9-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Worse yet the suspect ran off and killed himself, so there will never be any closure or explanation for the event. Sad, sad story.

If that is true then an extensive investigation into the recent life of the suspect should provide some closure in that regard.

This person may have been already delusional and suicidal and intent on killing someone, or maybe more.

In that case your officer friend would be a rare true hero.

Stories like this often make me wonder about a higher power, and that everything does happen for a reason.

Had there been no traffic stop. what could have happened?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Thanks FF. That is a nice way to look at it, and I suppose a cop getting killed in place of an average citizen can be considered a success. They put themselves in harm's way to protect the general populace, so maybe his wife can find some comfort in that. Thanks for your input.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So sorry for your loss, what is going on in this country, I hope he rests in peace and condolences to his wife, famiiy and fellow police officers.

S&F

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Hi Aquarius,

It sure does seem like this type of thing happens more and more often, and it strikes closer and closer to home. Sometimes I can't tell if I am just getting older or if things are really getting that much worse??? I look at my 4 year old and 3 year old and I can't begin to imagine what the world will look like when they are 16 or 25 or 35.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Aquarius1

Hi Aquarius,

It sure does seem like this type of thing happens more and more often, and it strikes closer and closer to home. Sometimes I can't tell if I am just getting older or if things are really getting that much worse??? I look at my 4 year old and 3 year old and I can't begin to imagine what the world will look like when they are 16 or 25 or 35.

It is scary to think that eventually these times may be called "the Good Ole Days.."

I would ask to please convey my family's sympothies to the officer's wife, a poor description for our feelings for the family, but sincere.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

My condolences to the family, friends and the department. This never goes down easy. I lost one of the best men I had ever known who was a Pompano Beach K-9 20 years ago and it hurts today just as it did the day it happened. Thank You for your service Brandon and may you rest in peace. Your wife will take it from here...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

This is sad news and unfortunately, this kind of thing is happening what seems like all too frequently. My condolences to your loss and the loss to your community.

reply to post by seeashrink

Nothing makes me madder to see all the negative postings about the police when a thread is started about some "police brutality" or a law enforcement officer breaking the law they're suppose to uphold. If the critics only knew how much the police force hates the actions of a rogue officer, they may have a different opinion, but I seriously doubt it.

It's actions like this that'll put officers on edge. I know you feel a loss and my condolences go out to you also.

Pride, Integrity & Guts

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why is this story on ATS?

I don't understand? Who cares if one deputy is shot. ITs his job to be in dangerous situations and its about time the police know they are not the only ones who can attack mindlessly.

Stupid story whent here are so many important things going on right now world wide.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 30thjan1933

Do you have any idea of how ignorant your post sounds? Do you really think that law enforement officers become who they are just to get killed by some punk-ass? This is news. It shows that the violence in America is getting worse day by day.

A person that shoots a police officer won't think twice about putting a plug into you, your mother, your father or your children. It sounds to me this is the way you want it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They are no longer looking for a second suspect, and apparently the suspect killed himself while being actively pursued by the police!

Demings said Coates had been with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for 4½ years, and was a member of the agency’s Tactical Anti-Crime Unit.

Coates' wife is also an Orange County deputy, but she was not on duty at the time of the shooting, according to sheriff’s officials.

“The only thing I can say to her is we’re sorry that it had to happen to her,” said Demings. “What I have shared with her is that this community stands behind her. This community stands up against evil, and they support their local law enforcement officers.”

With the help of Orlando police and the Florida Highway Patrol, Orange County deputies tracked down the pickup to Texas Avenue and Americana Boulevard, less than two miles from the shooting, in the Alhambra Court Apartments.

Sheriff’s Capt. Angelo Nieves said they had the pickup cornered, but no one was inside.
As deputies searched the area for a suspect, they heard a single gunshot, and found 29-year-old Brandon Lyals dead near the vehicle from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Deputies were searching for a second suspect but at about 9:20 a.m. said they are no longer seeking another suspect.

On a scarier note, violence against deputies in Orlando is apparently on the rise!

Nieves said this shooting was just the latest in a series of violent acts on deputies that has the Sheriff’s Office concerned.
“You have individuals who don’t want to go to jail, and are willing to take on law enforcement,” he said. “If they are taking on law enforcement, what are they doing to people in the community that they are victimizing?”
“We know there is risk in the jobs we do each day, and the men and women who serve as law enforcement officers in this community, they do so understand that risk,” said Sheriff Demings. “They’re willing to go out and assume that risk to keep others safe. We still have a job to do.”

Great Write Up about the Deputy on the County's Website

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Sorry I missed this...

Thoughts and prayers go to you and the family. I am sorry for your loss.

Officer Down Memorial Page - Deputy First Class Brandon Lee Coates

Orange County Sheriff's Office
Florida
End of Watch: Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 4 years, 6 months
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: Committed suicide

Deputy Brandon Coates was shot and killed while making a traffic stop near the intersection of South Nashville Avenue and 45th Street at around 8:30 pm. Moments after radioing in the traffic stop 911 dispatchers received calls stating a deputy had been shot and received a description of the suspect's vehicle.

The vehicle was located at a nearby apartment complex. During the ensuing search for the suspect, the man's body was found suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Deputy Coates had served with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for 4½ years and was assigned to the Tactical Anti-Crime Unit. He is survived by his wife, who also serves as a deputy with the agency, his mother and brother.

edit on 30-12-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join