It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Venezuela Missile Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The Venezuela Missile Crisis

www.hudson-ny.org

Iran is planning to place medium-range missiles on Venezuelan soil, based on western information sources[1], according to an article in the German daily, Die Welt, of November 25, 2010. According to the article, an agreement between the two countries was signed during the last visit o Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to Tehran on October19, 2010. The previously undisclosed contract provides for the establishment of a jointly operated military base in Venezuela, and the joint development of ground-to-ground missiles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Wow, if true the implications could be immense!
Doesn't this remind you of The Cuban Missile Crisis of '62?
What bothers me is Venezuela is given permission to use these missiles to their own discretion in case of "emergency".

I'm surprised this hasn't been reported in the MSM because this seems like pretty important news!

www.hudson-ny.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
First wikileaks, then the anonymous hackers, then the london protest/riot and now missiles being planted in Venezuela by Iran, the country that the U.S. was just trying to attack. How can today get any worse? I guess we'll see what happens. This day has been totally insane so far. My fiancee actually had dreams about all of this 2 years ago and she keeps having more dreams about future events that seem to come true as the months pass.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

I was just reading about this. It is very similar to the Cuban missle crisis.
This is a direct challenge to the USA. Having the capability to strike the US mainland with missles that could carry a nuclear payload really ups the ante.

Venezuela is biting off more than they can chew with this one. It's almost like they are daring the US to do something. If this does happen, there will be war. America will not allow it to happen. To give Iran first strike capability would be suicide.

During the Cuban missle crisis the world was very close to all out nuclear war. This is no joke.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This isn't going to happen. It simply won't.

If Iran & Venezuela are stupid and actually attempt to do this, they will simply suffer the consequences, in particular, Venezuela.

If Venezuela want's to bring it on, then they better get ready for a world of pain.
edit on 9-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

I was just reading about this. It is very similar to the Cuban missle crisis.
This is a direct challenge to the USA. Having the capability to strike the US mainland with missles that could carry a nuclear payload really ups the ante.

Venezuela is biting off more than they can chew with this one. It's almost like they are daring the US to do something. If this does happen, there will be war. America will not allow it to happen. To give Iran first strike capability would be suicide.

During the Cuban missle crisis the world was very close to all out nuclear war. This is no joke.

US is in no position to do anything, if it did, it would have taken down Chavez a long time ago.

It tried in 2001, but miserably failed

US is in no position to do anything, if it did, it would have taken Iran a long time ago.

It tried in 2005 upwards using terrorist organizations.

US is in no position to do anything, that is why its enemies are making moves on the chess board. US needs to solve Afghanistan or face an imminent collapse.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
This isn't going to happen. It simply won't.

If Iran & Venezuela are stupid and actually attempt to do this, they will simply suffer the consequences, in particular, Venezuela.

If Venezuela want's to bring it on, then they better get ready for a world of pain.
edit on 9-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

Really?

Of course, with our vast surplus of military equipment and personnel along with our vast completely stable resources, we can easily open up a third and possibly fourth theatre of operation with little to no consequences.

We'll just put them in "a world of pain." We won't have to worry about civilian casualties being used to radicalize the rest of South America or anything like that. And surely we would have no difficulty in a potential land war in a tropical climate against enemies that have spent generations engaged in varying degrees of jungle warfare.

This could be spectacularly bad, because the U.S. is completely overextended on the other side of the world. Now that there's a threat in our own backyard, what are we going to do?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

If Iran puts missles in Venezuela that can reach the US mainland, America can and will do something.
Even with all of the problems facing the US these days the military is still quite capable.

America will not wait for a nuclear tipped missle to fall on US soil.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
IMHO this is nothing and I mean nothing like the Cuban Missile Crisis.....
Seriously though, the Cuban Missile crisis happened during the height of the cold war when the U.S and the USSR were on the brink of mutually assured destruction. One wrong breath and we could have had nuclear Armageddon for half the world. In this case... Iran maybe has one nuke and most likely none.

All we have to do is sink the ship carrying the missiles to Venezuela and neither they or Iran can do a thing to us. Not nearly as high stakes or as dangerous as the Cuban Missile Crisis. To try and make a comparison is ludicrous.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Based on "western" intelligence sources.

Because if they said "US intelligence" outright, then they already know we wouldn't believe them.

Let them put missiles there. Good. The US has more.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

There would be no need to send in troops. Just park a ship offshore and send in the cruise missles. They build it, America bombs it. They try to build again, America bombs it again and so on.

What could Venezuela or Iran do about it? Nothing. They are all bark on no bite.
America has clear air and naval superiority.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

US needs to solve Afghanistan or face an imminent collapse.

This right here is the key. We are slowly but surely trickling out of Iraq, but Afghanistan is literally an empire killer. It is an unwinnable region and we need to pull out now. Realocate our resources and get over our imperialistic pretensions.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

One missle with a nuke can take out a major US city killing millions. I think that this could be as serious and dangerous as the Cuban missle crisis.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

If Iran puts missles in Venezuela that can reach the US mainland, America can and will do something.
Even with all of the problems facing the US these days the military is still quite capable.

America will not wait for a nuclear tipped missle to fall on US soil.

DUUHH ofcourse they won't wait, but they expect everyone else to wait.

Anyways, how will US react>? Will US bomb Venezuela? Will US invade Iran?

All the other non-conventional options are out of the table because all American war strategies are getting quiet old lol.. Coups don't work anymore, just ask Chavez. Assassinations don't work anymore, just ask Castro. Divide and Conquer doesn't work anymore, just ask Afghan resistance...

US has abused these war strategies and tactics to the point where every nation has set in place safeguards to stop any such infiltrations or such actions.

The only two option left is a bombardment, or an invasion + occupation. Both out of the Table, both could cause the US collapse, unless it sparks WWIII.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

With the amount of missiles and nukes the US has spread across the globe,
is it just me that sees the hypocrisy in statements like this.???

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

There would be no need to send in troops. Just park a ship offshore and send in the cruise missles . . .

Then come the enemy counterstrikes, missiles, torpedos, planes etc . . .

If Iraq and Afghanistan have proven anything, it is that we have no long term advantage when engaged in asymetrical warfare. It would not be a simple matter of playing missile base Wack-a-mole. It would be a war.

Billions more dollars spent in a new war without pulling down our wasted efforts in Afghanistan. More imaginary money printed to offset the cost of this debacle. I love how people think making money appear out of nowhere to pay for infrastructre will lead to hyperinflation and economic collapse, but massive deficent spending for blowing stuff up and bringing the pain is just hunky-dory.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
Really?

Of course, with our vast surplus of military equipment and personnel along with our vast completely stable resources, we can easily open up a third and possibly fourth theatre of operation with little to no consequences.

We'll just put them in "a world of pain." We won't have to worry about civilian casualties being used to radicalize the rest of South America or anything like that. And surely we would have no difficulty in a potential land war in a tropical climate against enemies that have spent generations engaged in varying degrees of jungle warfare.

This could be spectacularly bad, because the U.S. is completely overextended on the other side of the world. Now that there's a threat in our own backyard, what are we going to do?

I'm picking up on your sarcasm, I get it, cute.

But we aren't talking about invading and occupying the nation of Venezuela. We are talking about a one-way nuclear exchange, from the USA to Venezuela.

If they bring in those medium range nuclear missiles, then we will simply nuke those sites with nuclear warhead tipped Tomahawk cruise missiles. Done & done. The USA isn't going to mess around with idiots like Venezuela hosting nuclear missiles aimed at the USA. Those missiles could reach their targets in the USA in 5 minutes.

Again, it's so completely unacceptable to the USA that using nukes to destroy their missile sites is foregone conclusion.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Don't know what to make about this.

I can understand US concerns, but what makes it so special that it is different to any other country in the world?
And what gives you the right to dictate what other independant countries do?

Rest safe in the knowledge that neither Venezuela or Iran has nuclear capability and that even if they do develop it in the near future the US could literally wipe them both out within seconds whilst using only the smallest fraction of the weaponry at it's disposal.

Maybe the US should learn from the mistakes both it and other countries have made and try talking to the countries concerned.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Who's the one being cute here?

We just use a nuke?

We just throw any credibility we have in the area of non-proliferation into the fire? We are already the only nation on Earth to have used a nuclear weapon against an enemy. You act like a nuclear strike on a sovereign nation that had not engaged us in an act of war would be met with yawns and shrugs in the international community. Or from the nuked parties in question.

We're already hated throughout the middle east and muslim world. Let's go ahead and radicalize the entire continent of South America while we're at it.

You, my friend, remind me of my 9 and 7 year-old nephews; utterly convinced of the indominatable power of U.S. military might. Just bring the BOOM and the world will cower at our feet, right? Actions have consequences.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

As I said in the other thread on this topic. It's just to scare the American people into supporting an invasion of Venezuela. The Gov/Corps have been wanting to do this since the start of the decade.

No reason to be afraid since Iran's most advanced missile only travels around 1,250 miles and Venezuela is more than twice that distance from the U.S. (about 3500 from Cali).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join