It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berkeley Considers Declaring Bradley Manning a Hero

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Okey, dokey...I'll amend my statement.

Assange is a smart guy hero cause he's not in jail.

PFC Manning is a dumb guy not-a-hero because he is in jail.

All over information that anyone could have obtained for themselves through the Freedom of Information Act.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Maybe another way of separating heroes from dunces is found in these quotes...

Mr. Correll described the attacks as more organized than sophisticated. "People are finding out they don't need to stand in a picket line anymore. They are using technology to fight back."

Bruce Schneier, a cyber-security expert, said it was a common type of attack, "and not a particularly interesting one at that…It's kids playing politics, no threat whatsoever."

online.wsj.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fredcall

Your right, I was just figuring it would be obvious that we would surely be sending them home ASAP if we started cleaning house.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

OOohhhh so he just got LUCKY???? Whatever, the guy knew what he was doing and what he was getting from my stand
Everyone is raving about the leaks, as pointed out by another Poster, alot of this stuff has been around for years, but thought to be crazy thoughts from anti americans, now that he has made it easy for everyone to look at (for the most part), people are starting to pay attention.
Im thinking this is the straw that will break the camels back so the dirty laundry can be cleaned and exposed for what it is, if your going to clean then why do a half ass job!
Im not putting the guy up for a CMH but he surely desrves a lifetime achivment award.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patrioitinsheepclothing
reply to post by Mike_A

Im not putting the guy up for a CMH but he surely desrves a lifetime achivment award.

Assange pretty much did what the guy who invented Craig's List did, assemble a lot of readily accessible but spread out information into one place to make it easy for everyone to read.

So goes the secret of making money on the internet.

PFC Manning became the scapegoat for the internet bank heist.
edit on 9-12-2010 by fredcall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

OOohhhh so he just got LUCKY???? Whatever, the guy knew what he was doing and what he was getting from my stand

How could he have known? He leaked 250,000 cables amounting to possibly a million pages; there is no way he could have read and digested all of that information between the time he took it and the time he passed it on.

My point still stands, he didn’t know what he was leaking therefore he cannot be considered a hero.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

My point still stands, he didn’t know what he was leaking therefore he cannot be considered a hero.

Bingo! Because Assange knew that whatever was said would be taken up as a war cry by liberals. He just threw the info out there to the pirhanhas and let the rest take its own course. PFC Manning, he was not so lucky or smart.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Take for example the credit Wikileaks is getting for this story. And all Assange did was repost a New York Times Sunday Magazine article about Victor Bout from about ten years ago.

WikiLeaks: How the U.S. Helped Bring in a 'Merchant of Death'

Read more: www.time.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I dont doubt he is a patsy or scapegoat of some sort, but to just go in a grab 250,000 files on whim that he thinks theres something in them that might contain secrets is to high of a risk for someone to pull off in hopes theres damaging info in the files and has of 50-50 chance of having to go back for more.
Im kinda thinking he has been taking what files he could and where ever he could over time and just holding them per his keeper knowing full well once it was out he would be thrown in jail or misled to think his keeper would get him out of trouble???
All Im truely saying is Im happy it has happened, these secrets have gone on long enough, yes we have to keep National Security, Secret as well as some other things, but those are not the secrets being exposed that has them in such an uproar.
Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when, they are getting this bent out of shape about some exposed name calling and trader issues with China & NK, then how are they going to react when the full aroma of the Chit pile is in the air.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I’m not saying he’s a patsy I’m just saying he’s not a hero.

It is just a fact that one man could not have gone through that much information. As far as we know he took all of the documents in one batch but even if he did it over three years, assuming he had access to the documents since he joined the army (which is impossible), then he would still have had to read 230 documents a day, every day from when he joined the army to the day he was caught in order to know what he was leaking. I am confident in saying that he didn’t do that.

If he knew of something specific then he could have got those specific files, or he could have taken everything and only leaked the damning stuff. But he didn’t he, as I said in my first post, took an indiscriminate number of documents and then dumped them on someone whose motive he did not know.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Just think....YOU could have started Wikileaks had YOU been on the ball....................

How to Access Declassified CIA Documents
27 million formerly sensitive records now released

These records, declassified and released under Executive Order (EO) 12958, contain intelligence documents, operational information reports from the field, policy files from all CIA Directorates and administrative records documenting the establishment and management of the CIA.

How to Get Access to the Documents Copies of declassified National Intelligence Estimates and related publications as well as declassified intelligence analyses on the former Soviet Union produced by CIA's Directorate of Intelligence are available to researchers at the National Archives (NARA) as part of Record Group 263, the Records of the Central Intelligence Agency

The National Archives Building is open (except federal holidays) from 8:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday and Wednesday; from 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; and from 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Saturday. Please call the NARA Archives II Modern Military Reference Branch at (301) 713-7250 to arrange to have the records ready for your use.

usgovinfo.about.com...

usgovinfo.about.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How fast times change anymore....my....my.....

Congressman Mike Rogers says he supports execution for the soldier involved if he is ultimately found guilty.

Read more: www.techeye.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join