It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Security Nightmare!"Chinese Government Has Microsoft Windows Source Codes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

"Security Nightmare!"Chinese Government Has Microsoft Windows Source Codes

beforeitsnews.com

This is extremely unsettling. The Chinese government has the keys to the kingdom as far as software information is concerned. And they were essentially given it through a Microsoft tech program designed to improve the software. Only problem? The Chinese government used it to search for vulnerabilities in Windows to penetrate U.S. government computers. They managed to “slurp up” 50 megabytes of government emails as a result. An excerpt:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Cyberwar! Is this the prelude for a total war?
I find this news extremely important.
What if they (China) make irreparable damage to US or other western countries sensible/vital cybernets?

“The Chinese government may have used its access to Microsoft source code to develop attacks that exploited weaknesses in the Windows operating system, according to a US diplomatic memo recently published by Wikileaks."

What is the Point of No Retrurn in this undeclared WAR?

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I can't possibly know this for sure, but I would assume and like to think that any truely imporatant information is not stored on a Windows machine, as it's well known how insecure is is as an operating system.

Although, after Gary McKinnon managed to basically "walk into" US government systems and 250,000 cables have been leaked to the one guy who would be willing to publish them, who knows how incompetent their IT security is?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This is more than a reason to switch from Window$ to Linux/UNIX.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If our government is using Microsoft Windows as their OS then we are already screwed anyways.
Hello? Most operating systems are open source and have few security issues, in fact much fewer than Microsofts crappy OS.
This story sounds silly to me. In fact I cracked up reading it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

and you think thats cause windows is sooo crappy?

its just cause everyone use it....

when everyone is using linux...exactly the same will happend...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

yes , pure IT incompetence.

see my thread on NASA and its IT errors :
Nasa sells shuttle PCs without wiping secret data
www.abovetopsecret.com...

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
IMO this could be a good thing. More leaks which will drive the Cabal insane. Remove their walls of secrecy and they cannot function.

Perhaps they'll hand some of the info to WL!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
reply to post by nik1halo

yes , pure IT incompetence.

see my thread on NASA and its IT errors :
Nasa sells shuttle PCs without wiping secret data
www.abovetopsecret.com...

snoopyuk

They deserve to have their info leaked, imo.

second

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

not in a million years.

Linux/UNIX doesn't suffer from the same non-sense as Windows because there is a small fraction of people that use it. If Linux was the standard, hackers would find their way into it as well. It's common sense.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimePorkchop

Indeed. And if one were to have the source code to the varients out there, they could easily exploit Linux as well.

There is a widely held belief that Linux is a completely secure operating system. But to Brad Spengler of the grsecurity project, the belief is far from accurate. And he has the kernel exploits to prove it.

www.esecurityplanet.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Yep... There was a new exploit for Linux found just yesterday

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Is it safer if everbody know (including the exploit) or if just a few know?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Why is this a problem?
The US government will sure as hell have access to that same source code, as will many other governments too quite probably. We mere mortals are not even allowed to produce or distribute any encryption utility without first providing the keys to those in power - doing otherwise could well have you end up in jail.

See, we are not allowed to keep anything private or confidential, only the government is allowed to do that.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

i guess its a security nightmare when the other side has the same tools and know-how, not considering that the US NSA & other agencies in their alphabet soup already had access to the source code since the very first iterations of Windows. how this constitutes a nightmare is beyond me, unless they're flying the B-2 & controlling the ICBMs with computers running Windows.
edit on 12.9.10 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
50 MB of emails from the government? That's a lot of important material...

Who would've thought 20 years ago that cyber-war would be possible, better yet, actually happening?! Oh yeah that's right, the science-fiction writers who never get taken seriously predicted this long ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

Are you talking about every average person? Why? Any government can take info from any average joe's computer, regardless of the OS.

As for China, the US should stop buying its programs, hack their systems and do far worse damage. China has been outed on these cyber tactics before. Gotta put an end to this.

new topics

top topics

join