It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to decrypt AES256 Files

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Hello all.

Please don't get into an argument with me about the insurance file. I know I won't be able to open it. I don't care if you don't think Assange is legitimate or not. I just really want to try testing passwords though, just for fun, but I can't seem to figure it out. I downloaded AESCrypt but it doesn't give me the option to decrypt the insurance file, only to encrypt it again. When I encrypt it I can decrypt the file I encrypted, haha, so it's just double-crypted. Anyways, how do I make this work? Thanks in advance. (btw I have been searching all over the internet for this, can't find anything!)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Without the key you'll just need a LOT of free time. Oh and a notepad.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
By a lot of free time, i.e millions of years. =p

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well thanks for the constructive help.

I know I won't get the right password. I am not aiming to actually open it since I know that's impossible. I just want to know how to get to the point where I can enter the key and have some fun with it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Try going to simontay78.com... for step by step instructions on how to open the file & get the "what is the password" prompt.

But if you have no password, it's hard to decrypt it

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Ah, if you want to get to the password prompt, follow these steps.

> Install AesCrypt

> Go to the AesCrypt folder in your Program Files.

> Move the 3 files located in this folder to your root C:\ folder.

> Put the insurance.aes256 into the C:\ root as well.

> Go to Run, then enter this command "C:\aescrypt32 insurance.aes256", minus the quotes of course.

> Enter password. =]

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will be until someone writes code similar to the old SETI front end and utilize the worlds millions of PC's to decrypt the file ?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

As been pointed out, it is pretty difficult to open AES256 decrypted file if you haven't got a hunch about the password.

Decrypting it by brute force would need A LOT of time and A VERY powerful machine. You probably don't have resources for that. But if you're lucky, you can guess the PW. Or you can use your psychic abilities to find it out

Good luck with it, you gonna need it.

-v

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
I wonder how long it will be until someone writes code similar to the old SETI front end and utilize the worlds millions of PC's to decrypt the file ?

I've thought the same thing. Using SETI's approach many computers to link in and each computer bite at different starting letters. With a million different computers linking in and tackling it that way, 256 could be defeated in likely less than a year.

Too bad our Government is smart enough to link all their computers and tackle such a project using SETI's approach.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Question : Does anyone know a place where to download the last Wikileaks insurance file without using torrents ?
I mean is this file available somewhere on direct http download ? Thanks you in advance.

If it haven't been done yet, someone should do it. And with the md5sum, it can be easily confirmed that it is the original file.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by digit78

Ok i am replying to myself

- Original Wikileaks file "insurance.aes256" available on direct http download : here (MD5sum is good : 94a032849b1f446e3a1ed06cf4867a56)
- Link to download MD5 checker for Windows (simple exe, dont need installation) : here
- Link to download Aescrypt for Windows : here

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Thank you for the help. I think it's my computer that's the problem, because whenever it tries to run the Command box it flashes for less than a second than disappears into nothing, so, I am not sure why it's doing that but it's obviously my computer that won't let me get there! Thanks for everything though.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Just for your information.

A password for a 256bit AES file isn't a word that you can just guess at.
It looks a bit like this
0870B2FEA044005BD835F59D776BEB892F693744B0243975B0AD94BDD1C9D05E

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

There actually already is a distributed computing project for something very similar - it's being used to try and crack one of the final ENIGMA messages from WWII. I think they cracked one or two already and are working on the last one.

It would not be difficult to "re-purpose" the project to try and crack this one (or any other encryption type problem for that matter).

Now, as to actually succeeding - that's an entirely different kettle of fish...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yeah, I guessed as much. I found my way to the password prompt and was guessing around a bit, didn't work haha.

I guess I was thinking "Da Vinci Code" in my head and wondering if maybe with enough great minds someone could work out the password codes. But, when you put it that way, it makes me think that the password is probably not something with a logical answer to it. It's probably just a bunch of numbers/letters and only Julian and select few know the exact order. He wouldn't be stupid or egotistical enough to put it in a code to be figured out logically... probably...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Actually the SETI online project already uses Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) - it's open source and many other projects use the distributed computing method - Go here if your interested, pick your self a goodun

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
see here to open file for extraction.www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

have you tried

passwordpasswordpasswordpasswordpasswordpasswordpasswordpassword

?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join