It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The X-Files Theme Song (Analysis)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've heard scarier songs than this in my life time, yet this is the clear winner. How can a song so simple, be so scary? Can a music expert explain this to me? I am not the only person afraid of this song; a majority is too. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacebound

IMO the song is scary to many because of the association with the material of the show

Without context of the show, the song would have much less of a psychological response...again, IMO

be good

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I am not the only person afraid of this song; a majority is too.

Afraid? wow the song is creepy but does not make me feel afraid or scared!. I have been a Muso close to 30 years and its a clever melody but seems very synthesized & electronic in its origin, by no means musical genius maybe a little "Hookey". But wait the "Tin Foil Brigade" who "Want to believe" are gonna say it has subliminal backmasked message when played backwards. Or they might say if you get the midi file you get the 0,1 data convert to text & a hidden message will be revealed!.

Basically it's catchy but is tripe! It's greatest strength is the melody is easy to pick out & remember when played on any instrument!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I heard from a friend in the industry they wanted a theme similar to that from the movie 'Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind'. After I heard it for the first time it kinda made sense, our association with that early movie would be tied onto the series subliminally through the theme song notes.
edit on 12/8/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Good answer. Very similar to the five beeps. I'm curious about those five beeps, infrasound is definitely something to research. The song could very well have a subconscious effect, as is the purpose of song. Each note is an expression, when it becomes a song is when that expression is complete. What this expresses, is clearly paranormal - to no surprise, we are talking about the X-files theme song here.

When I was a little kid, I was afraid of the lowest note on a piano. I have been a guitarist for over a decade, and I've got to say I had damn good reason. It effects you, just like a tiger's roar has the abbility to paralyse it's prey. It's not a conspiracy, it is proven - it is music.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's because of the note intervals. Both in the melody and the repetitive arpegiated chord which almost dissolves in a broken a minor chord if I'm correct in hearing it. It creates tension. The chord doesn't end at an octave up, but 6 or 7th instead. Next to that, its a minor tonescale, though not a melodic one if I'm remember correctly. A long swell behind it too? Can't hear or play it now.The composer said he made it by mistake.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WeZet

I don't know what you just said, but it sounded about right.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

I apologize, but "creepy" would have been a more appropriate word to describe it.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Nine Inch Nails did a lot of this type of research, it is what fueled the Industrial Rock scene for a bit.

Funny Trent Reznor did a conspiracy game similar to these themed shows by putting specific letters on t-shirts in bold but when spelled out listed web addresses that then gave more clues and more websites to visit for this police state conspiracy theme he had on the last album. Was a brilliant idea that only a small group succeeded in figuring out in which they were rewarded with tickets and such.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

i guess mabe beacause its a piano, the rythem is slow, and the sound is also dark

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

The material of the show also makes it creepy too as stated previously.

join