It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnny Logan Spencer Sentenced To Nearly 3 Years In Prison For Threatening Obama In Poem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

My question is what makes the POTUS so damn special that if some drunk dingbat makes a poem has to end up in jail for his rant? The POTUS is a pubic servant. They are not an "official" nor an "authority".

As I stated, making threats is stupid but ending up in jail for writing a poem seems pretty damn stupid to me.

I see two problems:
First the poem was written in 2007. Obama was not president at that time.

Second if a threat to kill someone is punishable by a prison term then why isn't C.N. in jail for threatening to kill me and my spouse (and meaning every word) in front of witnesses The threat was brought up in a court of law by one of the witnesses (first I heard of it) and ignored.

She was in court on a charge of firing into the guys house while his son and two yr old Grandaughter were inside so there was a definite of her possibility of her being a real threat.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
Here is a link to the only place I could find the poem, a white supremacists website. whitereference.blogspot.com...

Thanks ever so much for posting the information. I read the poem and from a literary point of view, I find his poetry very down to earth and captivating to read.

I am not a white supremacist, I believe we all can live in peace together and there is no need for violence...yet the style of this kid's writing will become a waste now that he is going to prison.

Then again...there are other countries with dark skinned presidents...or rulers. I do not feel that a person should be sent to prison for expressing their feelings in prose.

His views may not be agreed with, but the man committed no crime except maybe "in his mind"...and believe me, I have read "poetry" with much more violence than was put in this two verse soliloquie.

ETA: Just read this was written in 2007??? Once again the government is becoming nothing more than the thought police....what next? Or maybe who will be next???
edit on 8-12-2010 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I appreciate your sarcasm but wonder if you really know WTF you're talking about. I have less to fear from my SS relative than I do from the one who is a retired Army General building an underground city in Texas.

Please tell us more about the general and the underground city? Or point us to where you may have already. This sounds much more like ATS fodder so please start a new thread of you have to and lets dig into that?

edit on 8-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Yea it was written in 2007, a year before Obama was President! I am not a white supremacist
either, but there is nothing in this poem that mentioned Obama. It mentions the president one time, but like I said, it was a year before he was president. Thought Police? It's the only thing that makes any sense in this case..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Yea it was written in 2007, a year before Obama was President! I am not a white supremacist
either, but there is nothing in this poem that mentioned Obama. It mentions the president one time, but like I said, it was a year before he was president. Thought Police? It's the only thing that makes any sense in this case..

Yeah...everything is about our "glorious" president. Sure if they look hard enough they will find others out here in the nether regions that have expressed themselves in such a manner as to "imply" their words are about that poser in the white house.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I don't think it wise to threaten anyone but would like someone with knowledge regarding this issue that surpasses mine to please provide a link to the specific law that makes the POTUS more special than any other American regarding threats.

The specific law is: 18 USC Sec. 871

Please, if you think this is a BS law, just do us all a favor and take it up with the secret service. The phone number is 202-406-5708, let them know that you think you should have the right to threaten the POTUS, and see if they care.

What makes the POTUS so special? Maybe it's because 1 in 10 have been shot.
edit on 12/9/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

yes I do know what I'm talking about and have shot on numerous occasions Barret 50. My weapon of choice however, is the M40A3.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

I don't think it wise to threaten anyone but would like someone with knowledge regarding this issue that surpasses mine to please provide a link to the specific law that makes the POTUS more special than any other American regarding threats.

The specific law is: 18 USC Sec. 871

Please, if you think this is a BS law, just do us all a favor and take it up with the secret service. The phone number is 202-406-5708, let them know that you think you should have the right to threaten the POTUS, and see if they care.

What makes the POTUS so special? Maybe it's because 1 in 10 have been shot.
edit on 12/9/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

That wasn't a law, it was a statute..but I'm sure you're well aware of the difference?

I can take it up with the SS all damn day since I have an uncle in the SS.

Candy asses like you are best left to boards such as this. No real world experience but love talking smack and tossing out statutes without any clue regarding the difference between statutes and laws.

Go back to Turkey and get another pack of smokes.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

yes I do know what I'm talking about and have shot on numerous occasions Barret 50. My weapon of choice however, is the M40A3.

As an owner of both .50 and .308 rifles, I can applaud your decision while also realizing you're talking out of your ass. I have nothing against the .308 since I hand load it and can send it downrange all damn day from my rifles chambered in that round. However, it is nothing compared to the .50 and attempting to compare the two is apples to oranges.

Your choice of verbiage indicates you've shot neither but are referencing video game rifles. Whatever.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sorry pal, the point is, 1 in 10 presidents have been shot, that is why they take these threats so seriously, if you don't like it, it's not my fault, don't get all pissy with me.

The president is a high profile person, he is our chief executive. You just can't go around and threaten his life just because you think you have the right.

Why don't you enlighten me the difference between a statute and a law? Will this statute not get you thrown in jail for up to 5 years if you break it? Looks to me like it doesn't matter much whether it's a statute or a law, you can still end up in jail if you break it and I don't think that a judge will care much the difference between a statute and a law pal.

So IF you have an uncle who is a member of the secret service, why the hell did you bother the board with something you could have whined to him about?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

First off a@# clown, I wasn't comparing either weapon. Where you came up with that conclusion is beyond me. Secondly, I'm former military and I know my weapons. It's not something that anyone needs to brag about. ( military service I mean )
For you to assume that I'm talking out " of my ass " is rather judgmental on your part. I suggest showing a little respect, or go back to watching re-runs of sesame street!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Full Secret Service Report including Poem

I agree with others, while the poem is disgustingly racist, it does have some literary merit! It also never makes a direct threat. It calls the sniper a hero, but it never relays any intent. If this poem is a threat, then half the literature in the library is a crime.

I agree with the statute, it should be a crime to threaten to kill the president or anyone else. If someone threatened my life, I would take them at their word, and I would preemptively end the threat, and I feel the president should have the same right.

On the other hand, this poem never threatens the president in any way. It is a hypothetical situation and it portrays the sniper as a hero, but it does not make a single statement of threat. This guy's attorney must have been horrible!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join