It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnny Logan Spencer Sentenced To Nearly 3 Years In Prison For Threatening Obama In Poem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm curious about this issue regarding "threatening" the POTUS. I don't think it wise to threaten anyone but would like someone with knowledge regarding this issue that surpasses mine to please provide a link to the specific law that makes the POTUS more special than any other American regarding threats.

My uncle was in the SS for quite some time and would get very bitchy about any comments regarding the POTUS he was defending.

I simply asked him what law made the POTUS so special that a PERCEIVED threat would require jail time and all he did was him and haw and never provided me with anything other than a "policy". When I told him a policy was nothing other than color of law and had no teeth, he didn't take that too well.

He has since left the SS but is still a Fed and I'm sure still has the same mindset he had while in the SS. I haven't spoken to him in years since we don't see eye to eye and he can never do anything other than spout a bunch of bullcrap color of law that he and his boys will enforce thanks to their "above the law" mentality.

LOL...he had many questions about why I felt the need to have a .50BMG rifle. My response? Because I can and I never know when I'll have to defend myself against a dump truck.

So, for those of you legal eagles, what makes the POTUS so damn special that some dingbat writing a poem should go to jail and what is the law and/or statute that requires such?

edit on 8-12-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

How could this dufus not expect this to happen to him. He probably expected a written invitation to the White house to have tea & scones with Mr & Mrs O! lol yes some out there dudes are that delusional. But seriously its a touchy subject why even go there (I meant the poet not the OP).

Terrorists (with no justification) around the world are constantly plotting to kill the Prez. I think they are within their rights if it is proven that someone threatens him to throw the book at them and even execute if appropriate! Threatening to kill someone is not what "Freedom of speech" is mean to cover!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

My question is what makes the POTUS so damn special that if some drunk dingbat makes a poem has to end up in jail for his rant? The POTUS is a pubic servant. They are not an "official" nor an "authority".

As I stated, making threats is stupid but ending up in jail for writing a poem seems pretty damn stupid to me.

I've been threatened and haven't batted an eyelash. My take on threats is "whatever". Come on by if you really plan to do what you say and notify your next of kin prior to coming out.

For me to expect some dip# who threatened me to do jail time after having a few too many Tom Collins is ridiculous. For the POTUS to be so far removed from We the People that merely writing a poem in regards to his demise as requiring a jail sentence is lunacy. We the People are the top level of government, not a single individual who has apparently become the equivalent of royalty. Screw the POTUS!

LOL....should I be scheduled for a visit based on this post, I trust my uncle will be one of those who visits. I have no intentions of threatening anyone but find it ridiculous that we have allowed a single man to become so far above common law as we have.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

If you read the second paragraph of my post I answered your question. He is unfairly targeted! You are entitled to your opinion but I have provided you some truth. There is no other debate on this. Set in stone! All the best to you!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Its just there way to quiet the freedom of speech and freedom of expression. By using someone as an " example" they can attempt to use scare tactics, like, look see what happens if you voice your opinion against our regime. Once again, an example of how the USG believes they are above the Law, and may infringe on a persons rights!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

By the way, your OP is funny as all hell! Giving your SS relative an edumication! ( yes spelt that way for sarcasm)

50bmg for a truck!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Its been this way for years. I remember 20 years ago when I was in high school, one of the lessons in our govt class made reference to things like this. It is against the law (what law Im not sure- but thats what we were told) to make threats against the Presidents life. My govt teacher had newspaper printings of such, showing us people that have been arrested and incarcerated due to making threats on the President.
Yes is only an elected official, but he is the top elected official to represent the people. I suppose they have to take any threat serious and force a punishment to said person/people. Otherwise if everyone was doing it, they wouldnt know what/which ones to take more serious than others.
3 years seems kind of a tough punishment, but any Federal crime these days is going to end up being lengthy. At least for the common folks.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

To answer your question:

According to this law -- 18 USC Sec. 871 --

"...Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

source: usgovinfo.about.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

If you read the second paragraph of my post I answered your question. He is unfairly targeted! You are entitled to your opinion but I have provided you some truth. There is no other debate on this. Set in stone! All the best to you!

No, you provided me with nothing more than your opinion. Maybe you need to learn the definition of truth?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

By the way, your OP is funny as all hell! Giving your SS relative an edumication! ( yes spelt that way for sarcasm)

50bmg for a truck!

LOL, you've obviously never shot a .50BMG and seen firsthand what it can do from 1500 meters.

It punches through engine blocks like they're paper - after punching through the truck.

I appreciate your sarcasm but wonder if you really know WTF you're talking about. I have less to fear from my SS relative than I do from the one who is a retired Army General building an underground city in Texas.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

No it is a truth. Maybe you need to be educated a little better before you make outrageous. accusations about my intelligence. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

By all means school me oh intelligent one!

If you have something to say, say it or STFU.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

If you have something to say, say it or STFU

Threatening me eh? I am not scared of you or those stupid remarks lol lol!. I answered your question read it digest! its that simple back to the topic lol lol

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Does anyone know where to get a copy of the poem? It would be interesting to see just what it said..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Surely you jest? I never threatened you. Do you have a persecution complex? Are you taking your meds?

You're obviously delusional and most of us will do our best to help you.

You've answered nothing and rant about like a child. Gather your thoughts and give it another go.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You're obviously delusional and most of us will do our best to help you.

Now you are resorting to lies ..... tut tut ... Delusional eh? wow thats offensive! Well get a load of this. The President needs to be protected this way because idiots are constantly trying to kill him. You are arguing about nothing maybe you have a similar agenda?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Let's stay on topic and off each other.

Civility is not a choice, it's a requirement here.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
Does anyone know where to get a copy of the poem? It would be interesting to see just what it said..

I agree, it would be interesting to read this "threatening" poem. Shades of the middle ages and monarchies...never say a thing about the king or queen...you will be imprisoned or for all we know, they could cry "Off with your head!!!"

Really would like to read that poem.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here is a link to the only place I could find the poem, a white supremacists website. whitereference.blogspot.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join