It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What melee weapons would you choose for when the SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Everyone always talks about what types of guns they would use in a SHTF senario, but no one ever considers what they would use after they run out of ammo. I plan to have a machete or ax to use for melee. However, I would like to aquire a katana or gladious, mabey a spear, could be used for hunting too. What type of melee weapon do you plan to use? And please keep on topic.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You keep your hacking weapons. Just remember, most cut one way and they can be easily defended against.

I have a nice 13 and a half inch serated bowie knife that has served me well in hand to hand. Its well balanced and easy to move around without any real effort.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i have a katana 3 piece staff a pai of sai and a mining axe

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Arm yourself with sword, crossbow and longbow. Defense and hunting, and you can make your own ammo.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

fascinating, where did you use the bowie knife in combat?

I don't understand these threads, are you assuming there is going to be some kind of holocaust, like in a movie, where people are living in the woods and stuff?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If you think this thread makes no sense don't read it or post on it. As for the bowie knife it seems to be a good backup. Also melee weapons are good for inside, in close. they are quiet, etc.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I would use my 2 sectional Korean Kama!

Bottom part unscrews to reveal a chained section!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

katana, gladius or spear?

a katana is not good for close quarters combat, a reason why the ninja did not use one, they used the shorter version of a katana, i forget what they are called, i think it starts with a "w". Unless you live in a rural area right now, your going to have to get out of the city which will be alot of CQC if # really goes into chaos.

a gladius would make sense although I think like someone else said, isnt it only 1 edged? would be a good machete.

a spear? # for CQC unless youve trained with one for half your life haha. a hunting with it? do you have the muscles developed to throw the spear like a javelin? cause I know i sure as hell dont. I think i could get maybe 20-30 yards with accuracy and then I dont know how much force it would have.

I would use a hatchet, 1 side for cutting wood (once outside of the city haha) or fashioning tools and or weapons with the blunt side for breaking locks and or something that needed to be opened.
edit on 8-12-2010 by epitaph.one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
id love a set of old school bearded hand axes like vikings had, with attachable poles to make it longer range for if im going after a bear or something like a BA lol. more realisticly though, perhaps a bowie knife, or some large serrated knife that could double as a saw if need be. perhaps it would have a slight curve in the blade too, that would be neat...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
reply to post by Becoming

I don't understand these threads, are you assuming there is going to be some kind of holocaust, like in a movie, where people are living in the woods and stuff?

Probably Zombies

2nd
sword-dagger-ax-metal bat-nail gun
edit on 12/8/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I would use soap:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dab4e2e7047b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I love these fantasy/role playing threads. Drop your capes and fantasy knives and reach for something practical that you can make in your own garage

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/855e1a0d5310.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I like to have a few options...an antique Sabre, pistol crossbow, 200LB crossbow, compound bow, Survival knife, large Damascus Bowie with Brass spine, and a few small folders....um and a hatchet too

Oh...and a Ghurka too!...why not?
edit on 8-12-2010 by arrus75 because: almost forgot...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ahem.Yeah ok guys, is this thread for real?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Crossbow etc don't count as melee weapon, they are ranged weapons, so...

Chainsaw?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Oh True!...ok then, a large stick with a nail in it!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
blow pipe with pungee tips, yes pungee tips aka punji the same as the head hunters use, do not ask what the recipe nor the mix or how to make for i will not tell, yes it is effective and quick.i will say it is a plant by product, wrist rocket is a good hunting tool, good for small game, long bow, for big game, 12 Bowie knife, 20" Tomahawk, set of throwing knifes, and war club, stone tip.
edit on 8-12-2010 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stucoles

Yes, and I will hack at you with my 32" carbon steel Katana if you try and get past me to my food supply. Or, I might invite you for dinner. I guess it all depends on what mood I am in as civilization crumbles all around me.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Mace in left hand, sword in right hand.
Use both hands at once.
To old to run very fast

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
my switch blade and/or baseball bat both are light weight and are easy to carry.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join