It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handedness on the rise

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Interesting to know that the custom was observed by so many different cultures. I'm interested to know how the right hand became the dominant hand for social settings. Things like this are what keep me from reading the several dozen books I've been meaning to read. So much information but not enough attention.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz

Interesting to know that the custom was observed by so many different cultures. I'm interested to know how the right hand became the dominant hand for social settings. Things like this are what keep me from reading the several dozen books I've been meaning to read. So much information but not enough attention.

It is amazing how peoples observed this cutsom

The right is the 'good side' and the left the 'bad side'.

Certain functions involving mans dignity, they use their right hand. All actions which involve something dirty or impure, they use the left hand.

Doesnt matter where you go, this cutsom was universally observed. Just shows you how mystical/metaphysical minded the ancients were.

Its a shame we ourselves dont observe this wisdom. I for instance always wash my hands when i leave the washroom. Yes, i know its hygenic, but im more motivated to do this out of a desire to keep my hands (a symbol for my "acting" or "handle" in this world) clean, and pure.

If there is a spiritual power to these actions, its in the unconscious. Uncounsciously, an action performed for the sake of the soul, responds to the symbol, or concept of the hands. The hands are a symbol for ones action in this world. The feet help one move, and therefore facilitate ones ability to act, but the action itself, and the application of the thoughts of the mind outward with physical reality, creates a sympathy between the two. The unconscious responds to this archetypal movement, and so responds with a parallel action. In other words, i feel as if i did somehing good. I will actually be helped spiritually by performing these actions. And i know one could this is subjective, i dont think it is. I think belief and faith make things happen. I think the whole concept of 'will' is much more powerful than people understand. This is off topic, but in practical kabbalah, by chanting certain words one can actually contact a spiritual archetypal power. This draws the power into this world and reality. When youve done this, you can have it perform wonderous sights. Pretty much any law of nature, is bendable. Thats the idea itself. The very concept and intelligence responsible for an abstract property in every phenomena, is a real thing. The Anceitns gave it different names. Gods, demons, spirits, angels,... So, this is a very real thing, and its understood that symbolic actions have a definite suggestive affect on consciousness. It arouses the spiritual power that it alludes to in its action. And this is the importance of ritual, and certain prayers etc.

So whiping your but with your left hand helps you to associate your left side, with impurity. Meaning, away from you (as the word left itself implies 'not present'). And engaging the world with the right hand; eating your meals, shaking hands, some might even say writing, etc, helps one to think correctly

But even than, Rabbinic thought has a different point of view about right and left. "right" is ones dominant hand. and left, is his passive hand. Therefore, a lefty would consider his left hand his right, and his right, his left.

Thats why its idiotic to punish left handed people by forcing them to write with their right. Their dominant hand is called their "right hand". And why is the dominant called right? Because right is seen as the source. The sun rises in the east - which is to the right(when one face north ie; compass points north). In addition, there have always since ancient times been a preponderance of right handed people over left handed people. Therefore the 'dominant' are the righties. Which is why a dominant hand can be called the right.
edit on 9-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm a lefty as well, for most things. Only one teacher tried to convert me, and that was in 4th grade. She was very old and probably had been doing it for decades to other poor lefties. I throw left, hit right, and kick right. If I played hockey I'd also shoot the puck from my right side.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicodeme

Ive always found that weird.

Im right handed, throw with my right, kick with my right, bat from the right....

My cousin was right handed, and batted on the left sided (i guess to be like ken griffy)..

Its seem so counter intuitive.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

yes I believe also it ultimately comes down to psychology, I have been reading a bit on the subject but it would appear most of the info was penned by righties so you have to sort through the bias data lol...

I just picture some cavemen sitting around before language was invented figuring out real quick why the guy that holds his club in his left hand always out foxes them.

it had to start somewhere !

welp back to battling the godless zombie hoards

edit on 12/9/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I don't know why some people are like that. Doesn't make much sense, but I guess whatever feels the most comfortable and natural. I could try batting on the left side or throwing with my right arm but I'd have the same results as trying to write with my right hand: fail.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

before I have to go searching with limited knowledge of Judaism, why would you suppose they bind the left arm wearing tefillin ?

but looking into the practice I would assume this came about from a too literal translation of the text it was drawn upon...

Deut:11- Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

imo it means to keep the commandments in mind... before you do by your hand.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

before I have to go searching with limited knowledge of Judaism, why would you suppose they bind the left arm wearing tefillin ?

but looking into the practice I would assume this came about from a too literal translation of the text it was drawn upon...

Deut:11- Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

imo it means to keep the commandments in mind... before you do by your hand.

Jews have studied the Torah for over 2500 years. No people understand hebrew, and the Torah, greater than the Rabbis. Some spend 20 hours a day involved in some aspect of its study.

So obviously the sages of Judaism have a great depth of understanding and it is your who needs to be edified. The tefilin were refered to in Asian medicine magazine as 'an ancient acupuncture point prescription for mental clarity"

The tefilin is remarkably deep. On the frontlet itself theres the letter Shin with 3 heads. Inside are 3 important passages from the Torah. On the reverse side, a shin with 4 heads. This 4 heads refers to the future level of consciousness man will attain to in the messianic age. The way the straps are bound to the head forms the letters Dalet and Yod. with the Shin, this makes "Shaddai", a name of G-d (often translated as 'almighty'). Whenever you come to an observant Jewish household, you can see this name inscripted on their Mezuzah. Its place directly over the part of the head where you would find the pineal gland. It comes around down the left arm because the heart, is on the left. ultimately, its channeling a higher understanding attained to in prayer into the conscious mind (the left brain) which is Binah. And the left, the heart needs to be 'bound' to the mind. Theres also a specific amount of twists around he arm which has deep meaning. It really is a very symbolic series of actions.
edit on 9-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

hey that's some weird science if you ask me, the layman version works too though.

was there a time the tefillin was worn only on the left ? that too may be a recent thing being a lot of jewish folk are lawyers heh...

I am always curious to know about the Torah and if they could have too many right-handed 20hr a day guys working on it.

I love our liturgy and I love our Torah text but why does the Torah and our prayers refer to G-d’s right hand as a source of divine strength? “Your right hand O Lord is robed in strength, Your right hand pursues Your enemies." I don’t know that G-d really has a right hand but if He does, why not a left hand as well. Curt Schilling didn't win all those games for the World Series Champs with his right hand. He won those games with his G-d given talent and perhaps it is time for us to refer to G-d’s left rather than right hand.

www.ohev.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

hey that's some weird science if you ask me, the layman version works too though.

was there a time the tefillin was worn only on the left ? that too may be a recent thing being a lot of jewish folk are lawyers heh...

I am always curious to know about the Torah and if they could have too many right-handed 20hr a day guys working on it.

I love our liturgy and I love our Torah text but why does the Torah and our prayers refer to G-d’s right hand as a source of divine strength? “Your right hand O Lord is robed in strength, Your right hand pursues Your enemies." I don’t know that G-d really has a right hand but if He does, why not a left hand as well. Curt Schilling didn't win all those games for the World Series Champs with his right hand. He won those games with his G-d given talent and perhaps it is time for us to refer to G-d’s left rather than right hand.

www.ohev.org...

Honestly. The things people say sometimes.

In Kabbalah, its explained that "hand" refers to the left. Because the very concept of hand, giving, means an extension outward. This implies what 'left' does; leaving (The language of the Torah is archetypal). Thus, when G-d refers to his right hand, its referring to a kindness and support he gives. So, he extends himself in a merciful manner..

Likewise the Hebrew word for blessing Barakah, and the word kneeling is Bareik (same 3 letters, different vowelization). If looked at conceptually (since Hebrew is an archetypal language that speaks of the very reality itself; and not its convention) A blessing is G-d lowering himself into this world, to influence something. likewise, man, whos made in the divine form, when he 'bends down', or kneels, he lowers himself.

Do you understand the correspondence between these ideas?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
and its should also be understood that G-d does not have a body. When he speak of his hand, he means 'hid hand' which is not the same as our hand. We are made in his 'image'. He made an image for himself (again, G-d is infinite. Were made in his 'image', but G-d himself has no form, as he is infinite and beyond comprehension). So our head, is the physicality manifestation of archetypal concept. Our hand, etc.

This is the whole basis of mystical thought in Judaism. Everything is a symbol.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm a lefty.. back in school I remember it being an issue, I remember my elementary teacher didn't seem to like it. I didn't like how my left hand was so close to the binder edges of the paper, so I would turn my paper sideways and I could write normally like that, but he would always come and turn my paper back to the right position again. I would turn it back and keep writing.. in the end you couldn't even tell that my paper was sideways when I wrote it so I couldn't understand what the big deal was. Some things I do right-handedly. I always use lighters in my right hand, play sports right handed, and I've always been able to spin a basketball on my right hand like a pro basketball star no problem, but I can't do it at all with my left hand.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

yes I understand, but still does it not really just come back down to this when relating to the rest of Deut:11 ?

keep the commandments in mind... before you do by your hand.

the symbolism is cool and all and I understand how it relates to etymology but simpler more efficient meanings are ultimately to be extracted...

language is a 'living' thing afterall.
edit on 12/10/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

yes I understand, but still does it not really just come back down to this when relating to the rest of Deut:11 ?

keep the commandments in mind... before you do by your hand.

the symbolism is cool and all and I understand how it relates to etymology but simpler more efficient meanings are ultimately to be extracted...

language is a 'living' thing afterall.
edit on 12/10/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

Rabbinic Hermanutics is four fold.

Its called "PaRDeS" - considered by many as the source of the english word paradise (that is, one who probes the layers of Torah achieves paradise).

It basically means you can analyze any verse at a

Pesht - simple and literal level
Remez - Allusive, or metaphorical
Derush - Homiletical
Sod - Mystical

This also explains the 4 different levels present within the text. The actual words (pesht) speak in allegory (Remez) describing a metaphysical reality (Derush) which can only been known through the mystical experience (Sod).

And of course. The idea is to bind whats in the mind and heart into physical action. An action devoid of meaning, even if its 'symbolic' has no wings. Meaning, it doesnt do anything. Youre Mind and your Emotions have to be invested in the physical action. And your mind is what arouses the emotions, to give it 'wings' to fly upwards so it can influence physical reality.

This is so whether ones engaged in ritual, like at synagogue or in a minyan (a group of 10 Jews who pray or study together). Or whether ones chanting, or praying. Emotion is the most important ingredient.

Anyways. Ill keep quiet about this and let the thread resume its topic.

edit on 10-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Somewhat 'left' of the topic but take from this what you will.....

In the mid 90's I had a very close friend who was 'prospected' for a very elite job(which he wound up getting). Durring the process, there were 22 individuals also selected for consideration. Durring this 10 week process, each candidate (who were selected based on there intelligence, and mechanical / problem solving ability) had to go through a battery of testing. All were very smart, all were in the 'book of who's who' for recent college graduates, and all but 1 of the 22 were left handed.

I always found that interesting...

Myself, I'm ambidextrous with a touch more finess in my right hand, but a bit more sturdy with my left.
edit on 10-12-2010 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2010 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
being left handed myself, i don't know if any other lefties notice this or is it just me, but don't you always notice right away when a left handed person uses their left hand? like on tv? or do you not know all your friends who are left handed? Its weird as i always notice on tv if a guy or girl lifts say a gun and points it with their left hand, or holds a guitar, like hendrix, left handed, and i know all of my friends that are left handed to be so. Why is this? Maybe its just me though

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

Yep! Always an ice-breaker finding out someone else is left-handed! What's funny is that people at work who are right-handed seem to take months longer than left-handed people in noticing someone who is a lefty. It's funny when they find out because they usually make a big deal about it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I grew up in Ireland during the 1980's and I'm left handed. I had my hand tied so I couldn't use it in class and at home my family were constantly trying to get me to use my right hand. It stems from an idotic belief that since Jebus sat at gods right hand the left hand must be something unclean.

In fact the movement against left handed people was the churches attempt to stem creativity and free thought within their groups as left handed people tend to be drawn more towards the arts as a means of expressing themselves.

Its a stupid tradition but it does still persist, mostly in countries where the the catholic church is still given license to operate.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

We are born to work with left hand because it stimulates the right part of the brain and enhances our creativity and critical thinking, but society does not wants that so they convert us to right handedness.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by vinay86
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

We are born to work with left hand because it stimulates the right part of the brain and enhances our creativity and critical thinking, but society does not wants that so they convert us to right handedness.

totally agreed, what we have here in the predominately right handed society is social programming and the blind leading the blind. Some men of old obviously knew this and wrote it into our language that lefties are sinister ! In my opinion lefties are better at seeing the "whole picture" (very Holistic) and quite possibly have a better understanding of the interpretation of the true meaning of the scripture, the Latin speaking church wanting total authority quite possibly knew this, suppressing the left as it would have wrestled the "Truth" from them just as William Tyndale did in fact do... which in essence lead to the founding of the United States of America.

I almost forgot about this topic... been busy fending off the mass hoards of would-be beheaders !

edit on 12/27/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join