It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with you, America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I've got so much on my mind that I don't know where to start.

How about I snub it before it starts. I'm talking about the people who will call me short sighted, blind, brain washed, etc. Save it. I'm tired of being labeled as such. Can't a guy speak from his own personal experiences unlike most people who speak based upon hearsay from the internet and their buddy in the basement down the street?

To get to my point, I guess. Let me ask the question again: What the hell is wrong with you, America? Shut up, don't answer yet. Just sit there and let it sink in. Really think about it. Half of America is never happy no matter what. We could be in the best economical, peaceful, giving back to the people type of situation in our government and all of you nay sayers would STILL find something to bitch about and say how horrible this country is and how overbearing they are. Don't even TRY to deny that, you know it's true. All of you are always looking for something that is just SOOO horrible that you have to tell everyone and continue to slander the name of this country. Don't get me wrong, yeah, there is a lot that is pretty effed up. I know. I'm not gonna say that this country is perfect in all we do. That's just not human. But damn, you people help make us look like the bad guy. If you're really so fed up with what's going on, pack up all your belongings and drive north to Canada or south to Mexico. Quit taking what belongs to people who are proud to be an American.

I've seen first hand the very worst of the world. I've been to third world countries that actually do have an overbearing, militaristic government that makes it hard to live life without having to look over your shoulder constantly lest you be taken out by the government. "But our government does that too!" No. It doesn't. What cave do you live in? You need to crawl up from mommy's basement and actually see the outside world. If I can walk around with a shirt that says "Obama sucks" without prosecution, I'd say that's pretty damn good. Did you know: In Thailand if you do anything to something with the royal seal or the face of the king or you say anything about the king, you will face the hard justice of the Thai law.

Have you ever heard of Burma/Myanmar? In 2008 there was a natural disaster, a flood I think I forgot sorry. I was sitting on a ship with the Essex Strike Group out side of Burma for 44 days. We worked around the clock to get medical supplies, food, and fresh water by the gallons ready to move in to Burma to aid these people because they Burmese government wasn't doing much besides refusing any help from the UN. Yes, the UN, not just the US. Thousands upon thousands of people died needlessly from starvation and dehydration because their government was so damn proud they wanted to still be in full control through fear. Fear of their full militaristic control that if they do not comply, then they die.

I challenge you "insiders", you people who act like you know everything, I challenge you to get off your butt, escape yours moms basement and really take a look at the world through your own eyes, and not through the view points of other people. But I wont hold my breath. C'mon, rip in to me, I know you wanna. You're just foaming at the mouth to tell me how wrong I am. Let's hear it. Wow me.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I think I'm going to speak for most when I say "Huh?"

Well go enjoy carrying a rifle in a third world hell hole for corporate masters who see you as a worthless pawn. Hope you don't wind up getting killed by a freedom fighter just so you can come back and be drugged up and forgotten about by the VA, Government, and everything you thought you were fighting for. And if you're really lucky you might even be able to find a job slinging coffee for nine dollars an hour after putting yourself up for slavery for four years.
edit on 8-12-2010 by Joehio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Just a quick question...

Could you clarify just what in the hell you are babbling about?

Thank You.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You don't speak for me at all. I gave the guy his first star on this
thread and I hope he gets a ton more. How can you deny what he
put forth here? I say bravo to him from a Vietnam vet.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

S&F for letting them ,the know it all want it all's have it i feel the same way you do, i am to waiting for a reply, just do not hold your breath.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

You are ignoring the obvious. As Americans we appeal to a higher standard. Freedom is our holy grail, and every day it is compromised more and more. The IRS, Homeland Security, Patriot Act, Censorship (Wikileaks), and unjustified wars continue to erode the very liberties this country was founded upon.

I am looking around, and I know it should be better than this. I look at my four children, and I want them to have the freedom from oppression I grew up with.

No telling what our government might do in a natural disaster here of epic proportions, but I will allow Katrina be my guide.

edit on 8-12-2010 by lostviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I agree with you. However I think most of the posters on this site who complain and bitch about their place and this country are teenagers who have nothing better to do than complain about everything.

This country is not in a good place economincally right now, that will change. I don't believe in NWO and TPTB, we have seen way to much overhaul AND in corporations in the last few years.

I see some are already asking you what your post is about, I don't think they read it.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostviking

You are ignoring the obvious. As Americans we appeal to a higher standard. Freedom is our holy grail, and every day it is compromised more and more. The IRS, Homeland Security, Patriot Act, Censorship (Wikileaks), and unjustified wars continue to erode the very liberties this country was founded upon.

I am looking around, and I know it should be better than this. I look at my four children, and I want them to have the freedom from oppression I grew up with.

No telling what our government might do in a natural disaster here of epic proportions, but I will allow Katrina be my guide.

Exactly, no we are not as bad off as many are in this world. However our freedoms are being eroded everyday.

Lug

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Well... on the greater part of your rant, I have to say excellent observations.

People don't know how good they have it even during these hard economic times, so I'd agree.

On the other hand, there's this slip-sliding into a freaked-out, gimmie your Identification, lemmie pat you down kind of country run by a government that fears its own population. That isn't healthy. America also has this weird dichotomy of a two-party system so at each other's throats, it seems like violence is always a month or so away.

Just as a side-note, I'd like you to understand something really, really basic.

You're talking to a wide variety of people here. For instance, my mother has been laid to rest for decades, I own my home and do NOT live in the basement. In fact, I'm typing up this response in my ground floor study. Yes... a study. So, while you're bang on in most of your OP, you could be a little less confrontational when you're talking down to the people who might be reading this AND lay off the general presumptions about us.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
As the world turns...

America doesn't have it all that bad, according to The Man. It's true, we have money here, more than any of those poor bastards in India, Kenya, Vietnam.. and so on, yeah, we got it good. Proud to be an American, give me my chocolate sir, I don't care if a 5 year old has been enslaved for life for me to get it. It's mine, Manifest Destiny Mother-F#! They are they and We are we, America, Land of the Free. Cut down some more of dem der trees, I need my furniture, I need my "things". America, what is wrong with...me? America, why can't I see? Home of the Brave Slave of Money.. "at least they aren't shooting us, for what we believe". America, could this really be My Country? Corporate run, Global Military.

As far as Governments go, I do believe, US is a lesser evil, until they lose The Green. Slipping away, my sweet Lady Liberty, but, what am I saying? She was gone in 1493.

It isn't a hopeless situation, it isn't as bad as some make it, this is what I WANT to believe. I just haven't found anyone who can show me what YOU see.

I need a Solution to The Problem.
Prove to me that Planet Earth is NOT being abused by The Corporation.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Yeah, I did go on a bit of a rant that was interrupted a few times and threw me off track. I'm just tired of listening to people complain about how horrible this country is when they don't have a damn clue. Don't get me wrong like the guy who posted above you, I'm not saying I want to be a warmongering killer. I'm just saying that the American way of thinking is that nothing is ever good enough. We've become spoiled. And I'm tired of it.

I mean, there are those who speak out about injustice that I do agree with. But it's very few, because most of the people who speak out about the evils of this country are just like the sheep they claim everyone who isn't "in the know" are.

With every government comes corruption and deceit. Some types of government more so than others. Sorry if I'm no really clear on what I'm trying to say here. I'm not too talented with the written word and it's kind hard to keep on the right train of thought when I'm distracted by this or that. I'm at work. Hopefully this kinda cleared it up a bit.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

What's wrong with America?
Too many people with out individual minds of their own, who blindly think the media has filled em in in all issues
Too many people who are highly sedated on big pharma, arsnic water, beefed up chicken meat (including arsenic)!
Too many people who believe in government education, and don't think for one second that they could be fooled. Resulting in lack of knowledge of the true economic state and the real facts.
Tooo many people who think lady gaga and visa rewards are the only thing going on.
And last but not least:
TOO MANY PUPPETS IN WASHINGTON!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lug

I see where you're coming from. It's like the red scare in the 50's. Well, from what I've come to believe from what I've read about those years.

And yes, I was a little harsh in my OP. I'm sorry about being so confrontational, I let my passion get the better of me. I just love this country and what it should stand for. I just wish a lot of people would just take a step back and just look at what they have. And if they really see it that they are living in a country that's not worth being a part of, then why do you continue to live here? Why do you continue to even care? You should get away from this evil. I know it's not easy, but you should make the effort to go somewhere better just like you put the effort in to all the research and posting about your findings.

Maybe my two cents is biased, maybe I really am the one that still needs to learn a thing or two, but I stand by my convictions. I stand by what I believe in. Yeah, I can say the same about those other people I've been talking about, but the difference is that they say one thing and do another. Honestly, I just don't know what to say anymore. This was like a last resort for me. I'll tell you a little story about what drove me to this.

I'm with my soon to be wife and her family. We're out camping for Thanksgiving. Her fathers best friend, who grew up in England, invited his brother along. Now, this guy is really the worst of the nay sayers. Here we have a man who has it all. He has tons of money to throw away, he's always getting in to one business, and then going to another one. He's got nothing to complain about, really. It's kinda hard to explain to you how well off this guy is. How he lives better than most of this country. But he is so adamant about how bad this country is and how it's one of the worst places to live. And when I asked him why he doesn't just move out of the country, his response was just stupefying. He said that he plans to move out of the country, he's been planning it for years. The man is in his 50's. But he said he doesn't want to start over. He said he's enjoying how he lives.

What? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I had to walk away from that one. But it's been stirring in my mind to the point where I just had to say something somewhere where someone would listen to what I had to say and respond with intelligent discussion. That's why I've come to this. But, once I've had my time to talk to some of you and hopefully find what I'm missing here, and MAYBE even take on a new outlook to all of this, I'll leave it alone and go back to sitting in the shadows watching you all talk about this and that and hopefully understand it all better. Guess you could say that I'm frustrated and confused. Now that I've calmed down from all of it, I'm starting to think a little clearer. I'm really, REALLY trying to see the other side of the coin.

But I still say that America is spoiled and nothing is ever good enough for us. I stand by that because it's not just in the political field, it's in everything.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
There are a lot of things wrong with this country, star for the OP as I too often feel like this. I agree with the one poster above, that we are not all sitting in our mother's basement and just griping.

The biggest problem right now, and for the last several decades is greed, corporate and personal, the "We must have more" phenom is destroying this country and everything it stands for. Like the OP and others, I am a veteran, and no not the "Gun toting, destroy them all type either". People need to start educating themselves from reliable sources, and no Glenn Beck is not one, and quit listening to those who scream the loudest and longest. It is time for the 60 - 70% of us that lie somewhere in the middle to take our country back from the lunatic fringe on both the right and left.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Can you explain what you mean by "taking our country back"?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

What I mean by "Taking our Country Back", for the last several years, maybe decades, the pendulum swings from far right to far left and back and forth. It is time for the moderates in this country to sit down and seriously hash out these problems, rather than the fringe on both sides screaming over the top of us, and not allowing any common sense legislation. There is so much mis-information and downright lies being spewed by both sides, that unless someone seriously and educate themselves, all we hear are talking points from the fringe.

The pendulum needs to come back to the middle, and stop these huge swings from right to left and back.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe

The pendulum needs to come back to the middle, and stop these huge swings from right to left and back.

Then I suggest you enter politics and lead by example if you really want change. Waiting for others to do it for you is a fools game.

Anyone that is dissatisfied with the status quo; get off your ass and do something to make it right instead of posting on the www. while you are at work like the OP.

and FYI, I'm on our local school board. Gotta start somewhere!
edit on 8-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

i agree with that. To me the parties have lost focus of what their pupose is. To me they want to be looked at better than the other party, and that's it.

To me neither party is looking out for what's best for this country, or I should say the majority of this country

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
I've got so much on my mind that I don't know where to start.
Half of America is never happy no matter what. We could be in the best economical, peaceful, giving back to the people type of situation in our government and all of you nay sayers would STILL find something to bitch about and say how horrible this country is and how overbearing they are. Don't even TRY to deny that, you know it's true. All of you are always looking for something that is just SOOO horrible that you have to tell everyone and continue to slander the name of this country.

Pretty big hypothetical there.

Do you truly claim to know how americans would respond to this situation, which hasnt happened in 5 generations?

Your entire post is based on a hypothetical....you cannot say with any accuracy how the american people would react to a situation that isnt relevant or realistic.

Ive been many places that are worse as well. Does that mean we should live in apathy and not ALWAYS try to make things better?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It seems to me like you're using your military standing as justification for your points. I'll play along, and counter that I have honorably served my country and disagree with almost everything you said.

America is obviously not the worst place on the planet, and that is apparent. There are however, very disturbing trends on the future of the country and our departure from historical principles espoused in the Constitution. America does a lot of good, but they also allow their MNCs to rape and pillage these third world countries through a very unhealthy relationship between the corporate world and the government, bordering on fascism. There are certainly plenty of things to fix in America--the consolidation of power in the executive branch, the loss of liberties through the Patriot Act, etc., and the incredible corporate influence on our government exacerbated by our failed two party system.

We donate a lot of money, but much of it is misallocated and ends up in the hands of a few. This is obviously not always the case. I disapprove of using your military service as justification for your views, because you should know that it is not the determining factor in the legitimacy of your claims, and the fact that plenty of service members from all branches vehemently disagree with you.
edit on 8-12-2010 by MGriff because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join