It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

35,000 new species 'sitting in cupboards'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A lack of resources for collections of plant specimens – known as ‘herbaria’ – and a lack of experts who can identify new species are leaving a vital reservoir of information about global biodiversity untapped, the study’s authors believe. Their work shows that it currently takes on average 30-40 years from the time a flowering plant specimen is collected to it being recognized and described as a new species.

Source

The more I learn the less I realize we know about our own planet, let alone the universe. Really? 30-40 years from when its collected until its described. We have nuclear weapons, rovers on Mars, cell phones that do everything except wash your rear end & countless other amazing technologies. However we still haven't even described 1/5 of the plant species on Earth!
Imagine what could be out there. All the possible cures or maybe entirely new technologies based off these undescribed plants.
Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCar

Well if governments put more funding into their research and education systems it would not take so much time. The US for example spends $1.35 trillion so far annually on developing weapons to kill people that have nothing to do with their countries defence. If they spend atleast half of that on other forms of research we could go so far in advancement.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
im pretty sure a big percentage of those strange unnamed organisms had their genesis in either my shower, in my gym shoes or between my toes.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
That is incredible. The question in my head is... Why?

As another poster said these plants could have cures for cancer or maybe something better that oil. With the economy the way it is, Im sure this could provide some jobs.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
What I would like to see is governments putting money into really getting to know this world, instead of putting money into wars and space exploration.

Surely it makes sense to know your environment before you destroy it and before you explore other environments.

I would say "Don't try to run before you can walk."

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Thats sounds crazy enough to work

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

Yes, take some of that insane defense budget and put some people to work!

top topics

join