It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel's Haifa Fire Caused By Teen's Water Pipe, Police Say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Israel's Haifa Fire Caused By Teen's Water Pipe, Police Say

www.huffingtonpost.com

JERUSALEM — The worst forest fire in Israel's history has produced a new hero for the country – a police chief hailed for her bravery and self-sacrifice in rushing into the flames to accompany rescuers.

Late Monday, police announced they had identified a 14-year-old boy as the "prime suspect" in the blaze. Authorities said the fire, all but extinguished Monday, was accidental.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Wow, it looks like this 14 year old kid will be in a heep of trouble. He goes into the woods to smoke a waterbong and because of that, 42 people lose their lives in a massive fire. This has got to be eating away the conscious of this young teenager, who probably could have never imagined what he allegedly started.

Not only has this fire killed 42 people, but it has also triggered an international response, with even the Palestinians jumping in to provide help. To think that it was all caused by a 14 year old lighting up a doobie in the woods, is just mind-boggling.

With that being said, to what level of responsibility should this child be held? Here in America, 14 is potentially considered an adult, as far as criminal charges are concerned. However, if it was an accident, I don't see how this kid should be held any more responsible than if it just happened to bea camper that accidently started it, due to a grill fire. After all, an accident is an accident is an accident is an accident.

I do however think his parents should kick his but for smoking pot and this incident just may be the kind of bad incident that keeps him from smoking pot again. Kids often like to say that pot is harmless and for the most part, it is. However, in this case, it obviously wasn't and if this kid had ever asked, "what's the harm in a little doobie?", he sure got that answer the hard way.

--airspoon

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is truly sad, but I must inject some humor. This reminds me of Adam Sandler's Hanukah song..."so put on your yamika, and smoke your marijuanika..."

Unfortunately, marijuana will be scapegoated in this situation. Many forest fires out in Western US are started from cigarettes, some thrown out the windows of cars. Cigarettes burn way hotter than doobies! What if he was smoking cigarettes or doing something else. This kid's crime is negligence, nothing more and nothing less. The actual materials used to start the fire are immaterial.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Tragic. An over priced "good time" for that kid. Nothing is worth losing so many lives in such a way.

It would be interesting to see what the thoughts of the people who claimed it was a terrorist attack have to say. Wether the kid is Israeli or Palestinian, it clearly was not a terrorist attack.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
well maybe if he wasnt forced to smoke out in the woods, this miight not have happened.

not saying 14-year-olds should smoke, but if they are going to do it anyway it would be better to do it where they can be supervised. and the person could have been any age, im sure hes not the only one out there with smokey the bear.

i blame criminalization.

kinda ironic, where i live we sometimes call what he was doing "burning tree's"

but he took it to a whole new level

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am not buying this story, let's see what two words in the headline don't work together. Fire and water!

Now I have never heard of these "Water Bongs" until today mind you, but I did some searching on the Internet (yeah that's right) and discovered what these things look like (for the first time ever) and found out that at their base they contain water that can be poured in or out (but should never be drunken).

So the boy who claims he threw some burning coals could have only done so by spilling out the contents of the bowl (this is a portion of the pipe that the web site should only be used for tobacco or legal smokables) the water would have followed right in the same direction.

I believe what we really have here, is a young Israeli arsonist, who the authorities are simply looking to partially absolve while citing a danger of illegal drug use, for political reasons of their own.

Whether the child concocted this story himself, or the authorities provided him with it are hard to say, but my own internet experiences with "Water Pipes" suggest this could not possibly be the cause of the blaze!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Actually, the "bowl" can be separated from the pipe, thus is could be emptied without water spilling. Uhhhh, I know this because I live next to a university, no really.

You can spill or empty the coals without spilling water because the container that holds the coals comes up and out of the pipe, thus separating from the part that holds the water.

--airspoon
edit on 7-12-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I started a thread on this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good call with the water bong, it does seem like something is wrong there. This would only be possible if the coals were in a separate spot from the water. But even then it is hard to knock coals out without also knocking out the water unless you have a separate slide that can be removed from the water pipe. They didn't go into much detail on this water pipe but this has turned out to be an interesting story nonetheless. 41 dead. Palestinian firefighters helping out Israel, and now a teenager admitting he committed the crime. Unfortunately "smoking in the woods" is going to be made the bad guy, I think the real crime is running away from a fire you started. What a coward. But yes, if he didn't have to smoke in the woods it probably wouldn't have happened. Oh well, blame society I guess, like everything else (sarcasm)
edit on 7-12-2010 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes... blame the pot smoking minor for this. I'm sure all (including this) problems of the world have their roots on Drugs and Terrorism... and that must by why "They" are treating as the same thing.

OP thanks for the news.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Actually this depends on the model. Some 'stems' that the bowl is attached to are seperable and can be taken in or out of the 'chamber' that holds the water. Often though they are not seperable. Glass water pipes tend to be predominantly 'one piece' while 'plexiglass' water pipes generally have a removable stem. This is not always the case though.

Even though, even if the still burning contents of the bowl were dumped absent the water, they would have for the most part ashed over in flight, meaning that the burning embers would have an insulated encasement of dead ash around them, and would normally extinquish themselves in a matter of seconds.

Really this story doesn't add up. I think it's much safer to say, the kid might have been out in the woods smoking and then intentionally started the blaze. A mix of the truth with a lie to spare the child or the nation the notion that a young Israeli would have so little concern for life and property.

Seriously I don't see the spilled contents of a bowl starting a fire even in super dry conditions. It's just too little burning substance, insulated by too much ash.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Actually, the "bowl" can be separated from the pipe, thus is could be emptied without water spilling. Uhhhh, I know this because I live next to a university, no really.

You can spill or empty the coals without spilling water because the container that holds the coals comes up and out of the pipe, thus separating from the part that holds the water.

--airspoon
edit on 7-12-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

The only glaring problem with this is that no stoner in their right mind would empty a bowl that is not completely "cashed" or empty. I know this living near a university myself. Considering all coals and contents are sucked into the base where the water is, this story is somewhat fishy.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

We don't really have the details. For instance, we don't know how experienced at smoking pot that this kid was. Maybe he emptied his "bowl" with a good chunk left burning and that could certainly ignite a fire, especially in an Israeli forest. Had the kid dropped a burning chunk onto the ground, even a small one, the dry conditions in addition to the wind and debris on the ground could easily catch fire and grow out of control, fast.

We have to look at the probabilities here. I know that this might sound strange, especially coming from me, but why would Israeli authorities lie [about this]. I know I know, I never thought I would utter those words, but still. Israelis are known to be very liberal on drugs, at least generally speaking. Furthermore, why not take this opportunity to blame Hamas? It just seems like a pointless thing for authorities to lie about it, especially considering that marijuana isn't looked at like it is here.

--airspoon

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Trouble in Little Chi
no stoner in their right mind

Do I really need to say anything?
edit on 7-12-2010 by pr3l33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If this kid really is responsible,I think having to live with what he has done will be worse than any punishment the authorities can throw at him.

Very hard to prove though I expect.
Sad story.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
it depends on what kind of water pipe he was using, the Argile (sp?) shisha, hooka's have a large glass part at the bottom that holds the water, most come from that region of the world, atleast the traditional ones, and alot do smoke the maaset(sp?) it's a sticky molases covered tobacco, the way I was taught to do it, at the top, there is a ceramic bowl with holes, the tobbacco or what ever you smoke, goes on that, then you cover it with aluminum foil, poke holes and place a hot coal on top, the coals can easily slide off if you are moving the pipe, it could be he decided to walk with it whilst still being lit, some may have slipped off, or he may have lost an entire coal completely before re-lighting another one.

However, depending on the size, it seems to me that it may be a bit too cumbersome to be traveling with one of these in the woods.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

We have to look at the probabilities here. I know that this might sound strange, especially coming from me, but why would Israeli authorities lie [about this].

That's a good question and let's face it, the modern state of Israel is a very complex one, socially, politically and religiously, that makes it very unique amongst states.

If China's number one export is cheap durable goods, and the U.S.A.'s number one export is areospace and military technology, Israel's number one export is "good will".

It recieves untold billions if not trillions annually from "good will" from nations, and Jews in Diaspora and religious organizations who have an infinity to the "Holy Land".

A lot of that "good will" is obviously the product of some very dubious claims like "God gave us this land, we are his chosen people" to the propaganda about the conflict with the Palestinians.

If the boy was a actual arsonist (much more likely) it places the responsibilty directly on the boy as pehaps being the product of inferior upbringing ( a bad reflection on Judaism and the State and his parents) it could also lead to other religious conotations in a land where "God gave people the land and God drove people off the Land for disobeying him in the past". In fact the boy's deliberate act of arson that led to widespread distruction and an significant loss of life could religiously and politically be seen as "God's Will" God punishing the Israelites say for failure to wait until the Messiah led them back to Israel as the Judaen Scriptures stipulate.

Now we make drugs responsible, and now well, this is the Devil and the Evil of Drugs, not simple bad parenting or poor morals amongst a group of people who thrives and succeeds off of establishing the "Moral High Ground" now it's not God punishing the people in general, but the Devil playing mischief.

I don't think you can look at Israel in the typical way we would most nations when divining it's motives because of all the complex factors the state of Israel ties together to justify it's existence and earn goodwill.

Finally while I know nothing about marijuana smoking and I don't care what my lying mother has to say diffent, or those fabricated court records bent at politically discrediting me, I do know in France it's considered highly rude and an insult to the chef to leave any food on your plate!

Not buying this story, no how, no way!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Wow, just wow.
You never heard of this “water bong”, never saw one, never used one, and still...you come up with your genius forensic analysis, followed yet by another brilliant understanding of god, Judaism, Israel, bla bla bla.

Btw, this kid is a Druze for Usefia town. Different people (Arabs) were caught setting fire on a different part of the forest, and were spotted by a UAV.

www.inn.co.il...

There were others caught, but the media decided to bury those stories.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

As I stated where the state of Israel is concerned the propaganda plays a key role in it's "good will" campaign.

How does one determine one's nationality from a UAV? DNA testing? Passport annalysis? Oh because they wore head scarves that only Arabs are 'allowed' to buy and wear?

Maybe Walad Jumblat send the 14 year old boy a 'secret' message from Lebanon.

It must really hurt that the Druze aren't Islamic but it's good enough just to portray them as Arab I suppose.

It's likely a deforestation campaign by some criminal element that wants to develop a housing community and needed a little help on redesignation of it's status.

Thanks for helping make my 'complexity' case, as to why Israel would withhold the truth.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

he should be forced to attend quite a few hours of fire safety classes

Smokey the Bear says, put out that dubbie!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by gravitational

As I stated where the state of Israel is concerned the propaganda plays a key role in it's "good will" campaign.

How does one determine one's nationality from a UAV? DNA testing? Passport annalysis? Oh because they wore head scarves that only Arabs are 'allowed' to buy and wear?

Maybe Walad Jumblat send the 14 year old boy a 'secret' message from Lebanon.

It must really hurt that the Druze aren't Islamic but it's good enough just to portray them as Arab I suppose.

It's likely a deforestation campaign by some criminal element that wants to develop a housing community and needed a little help on redesignation of it's status.

Thanks for helping make my 'complexity' case, as to why Israel would withhold the truth.

If there was any merit whatsoever to your highly speculative and slanderous theory, why wouldn't the Israeli government simply portray the incident as a terrorist attack as opposed to an unintentional act by a teenage kid smoking pot?

Contrary to your interpretation, the OS is not condusive to anti-Islamic propaganda. As for a corrupt agenda to build housing communities, now you're really grasping at straws, lol...

<<   2 >>

join