It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with "hippies"?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I think it's because the hippy movement could have been something but instead was an epic fail.
2nd

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I tend to like "hippies" more than I like the typical alienated, over worked/under paid, overly-entertained, under educated, passively pro-war/pro-sweatshop, cynical, unpassionate, materialistic, uninformed, hypochondriacal, over-stressed, indecisive, unsatisfied, unhappy corporate worker of today. Maybe it's because I don't run into "hippies" very often so it's a novelty, but I see the other group everywhere.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Better question, what's wrong with putting people in a category/label of people and write off any real observation that would not fit that mould? And more... what's wrong with hating a set of people you have deemed not worthy to live in your world? It's easy to hate, it's damned hard not to hate. Hate is the easy way.

Drugs have the potential to screw anyone up, no matter what stupid stereotype you fit in someone elses narrow wordview. As Michael Ruppert believes, drug abuse is a spiritual problem, not a crime. Alcohol is a drug technically speaking, but it's ok to get wrecked and in fact is even promoted these days.

So much hate on here, but that's expected on a message board these days. That being said, I agree there are many leeches that appear to be the stereotypical hippy, just as there are many commercial hippies.

Grow up and stop hating like you did in elemementary, looks real stupid on the whole of society.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
As evidenced here, the truth stings liberal statist hippies. The hippie is an aging cryptofascist wearing the camouflage of self-righteous indignation, an ersatz "free spirit'. He dons a live-and-let live facade that masks a desire to monitor and quash free thinking, and to destroy opposition.

Your first sentence definately sets the focus of your personal direction and agenda.

You have slammed the door shut on seeing any view other then your own.

But - I am curious if you are of the age to have experienced that time - - and are making your assessment from personal experience and/or where does your viewpoint/opinion come from if not personal experience?

A lot of personal freedoms came out of that time - - which also included the Women's Liberation movement. I KNOW because I actually lived it.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Another thing that is so aversive about the hippie is he preaches "peace love and happiness." Reality is much different. If the hippie is challenged in any way, he starts whining, yelling invective, marching with signs, disrupting peaceful neighborhoods, eventually begins throwing rocks and bottles, resorts to arson, and eventually starts trying to build explosive devices to kill and maim in the interest of his cause.

The following video is a recent occurrence in the hippie mecca of berkeley, CA. It clearly displays the hateful, aggressive and destructive violence hippies excrete when thwarted and frustrated out of a drug-induced haze.

www.youtube.com...

Here's another old video documentary of hippies done by Harry Reasoner back in the 60s. If you really want to get grossed out and nauseous, take a hard look and listen to this expose. The hippies are sickening. It's frightening to think that these people are elderly now and no doubt in charge of something or somebody.

www.youtube.com...

Maybe nobody can sum the sad, timid and lying morality of the hippie as well as good ol' Harry Reasoner, as he did at the end of the preceding video:

"There are the hippies. They make you uncomfortable because there is obviously something wrong with the world they never made, if it leads to these grotesqueries....They, at their best, are trying for a kind of group sainthood, and saints running in groups are likely to be ludicrous. They depend on hallucination for their philosophy. This is not a new idea - and it has never worked. And finally, they offer a spurious attraction to the young. A corruption of the idea of innocence. Nothing in the world is as appealing as real innocence. But it is, by definition, a quality of childhood. People who can grow beards and make love are supposed to move from innocence to wisdom."

Truer words never spoken.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I think it's because the hippy movement could have been something but instead was an epic fail.
2nd

No it wasn't. A lot of changes came about because of the real hippie movement (not the psuedo jump on the band wagon wannabes)

Volunteer army for one.

Rights to medical and school records.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Dionysian Wave

Could we actually be in the age of Aquarius now?

edit on 9-12-2010 by Tamahu because: edit

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

yes. lots and lots of things were contributed by the hippies:

rampant substance abuse and addiction (along with the overreach of the DEA, FDA and various other alphabet soup law enforcement agencies, and a trillion dollar "war on drugs")

promiscuous sex relabelled and reframed as "free love" (along with sexually transmitted diseases spreading like wildfire, especially HIV/AIDS)

Draft dodgers running away to France and Canada because of an abject fear of personal inconvenience discomfort and adversity (along with the assaults, spitting on and slander of returning servicemen that had served in indochina)

Broken families and fatherless children who grew up guided only by social service agencies (and their eventual widespread incarceration in state and federal prisons)

the notion that marxism, communism, statism and fascism are acceptable and even desirable, along with the worship of the false god "collectivism" (accompanied by the slaughter of millions of innocents in the killing fields of cambodia, vietnam, laos, china, the soviet union)

the division of ethnic groups and the creation on racial "underclasses" (and the culture of entitlement and welfare-driven corruption and graft that is leaching our economy drop by drop).

the philosophy of "tune in, turn on and drop out," which eventually morphed into "fight the power" and "kill the pigs" (along with charles manson, leslie van houton, lynette squeaky fromme, and the rest of their "family")

wholesale rejection of long-standing cultural and social mores that once bonded us together into a "melting pot", rather than into the balkanized mess we see in urban areas today (along with the strife, crime, and decay we suffer through now)

yes. these are the great monuments to the hippie "counterculture" movement.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

You continue with your rant - - and personal agenda viewpoint.

But - - completely ignore/dismiss every question I asked.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Just saying.

I know what it was like living with restrictions prior to the Hippie movement - - which again - - was a political movement.

I want to know how old you are.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
for some reason, there are posters on this thread who insist on violating the moderators' instructions to "Please Address the post, not the poster."

I am not sure why this is, unless these people are frightened to discuss the topic, and deflect by attempting to interrogate and attack the person with whom they disagree.

hippies are known for this. their arguments are so weak that they have to attack the person. sometimes the attacks become extremely violent. bombs are a favorite of the hippie, as they can maim and destroy from a distance.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

for some reason, there are posters on this thread who insist on violating the moderators' instructions to "Please Address the post, not the poster."

Love the tactic.

What's the matter? Afraid to answer my questions?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Love the tactic.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The Hippie movement happened in our life time. This is not like discussing the bible and Jesus that happened more then 2000 years ago - - and we only have information that was recorded by man - - some 30 years after his time.

I am 64 - - I was there - - during the Hippie Movement. It really appalls me that so much prejudice and injustice has happened in my life time.

My mom had polio. The Disability Act is very important to me.

My kid was an ADD. The Education Act for inclusion is very important to me.

How scary and sad is it that the civil rights act was 1964. The year I graduated high school.

Did you know the ERA (equal rights amendment has never been ratified?)

Gays are still fighting for equality.

The Hippie Movement was such an incredible influence and important time in our history.

It helped to promote and give us the Freedoms to Be Individuals.

To not live under the constraints of "Society" imposed and Government controlled restrictions.

Its a life you had to live. It does not come out of any textbook or agenda ridden report.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Love the tactic.

You are still avoiding the questions I asked.

Why is that?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Yep. As evidenced here, the truth stings liberal statist hippies.

I donno, man...seems to me you've dodged the highlights of the 60s-70s power structure I submitted for you, the lies that were used by the government to manufacture wars and squash democratic dissent. Pretty convenient.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
[DRUG USE REMOVED]

back to my original point, kind of... wasn't there some dude timothy leary who sort of recreated a certain drug specifically for opening the mind around the time of the 60s-70s hippie movement ? i had tried it on more than one occasion, being a flower child how would i not, and i most certainly felt an awakening... yeah yeah it's bad for you right? stick to your coffee then... and it's not the same stuff they were taking back then right? who cares!! go on living your life, following your path, stop occasionally to meet those chosen few when you feel like it, add some to follow you or take a closely parallel path, and let the others be...
so i don't think there's anything wrong with hippies, and i think some people should quit finding someone else to lay all the blame of there life's on, checking the mirror is where you'll find the true cause of your woe, and your greatness!
i think each person has the right to be a judge, but only of them self...

oh and by the way, i really like this quote

Think for yourself and question authority. -Timothy Leary

some other wonderful quite unique quotes would be here, if you liked the guy, if not, just disregard, no worries
www.brainyquote.com...

but ya know, i have only had 64 posts before this, so that must mean there's no reason to listen to me, ya know, since i was just born 64 posts ago, i couldn't have had my own experiences before wandering this direction...
peace
edit on 10-12-2010 by schitzoandro because: grammar

edit on Sat Dec 11 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: UPDATE: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
King hippie, then and now:

He and his "family" left a real legacy for all of the [SNIP] elderly hippies.

edit on Sat Dec 11 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: UPDATE: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join