It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abovetopsecret.com ridiculed in a College Course.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Attacking ATS in the terms mentioned by the OP is tantamount to attacking "the press" as a whole, because there isn't anything on ATS that can't be found in the print press somewhere, or on air somewhere.

People attending "institutions" of one sort or another, including ones of higher education are there to be "institutionalized" whether they realize it, as some do, or not. They come out "new people" or "changed for the better" or "a different person". That different person will have acquired a collection of "received ideas" that are part of a consensus acceptable to the power structure of the society, the people who created the institution for the purpose of building this consensus.

The "straw man" argument, used by the lecturer against ATS is one of the cheapest of the cheap shots in debate. I would put it on the same level as the ad hominem attack as a way of avoiding the real issues in a debate.

ATS is an important clearing house of ideas in the new online media. Why? Because it, unlike TV news, is truly interactive.

I would venture to say that ATS is a useful adjunct to attendance at university. There is quite a cross section of people on ATS and just a blizzard of ideas. It wouldn't hurt an essay writer or researcher to run a question by the appropriate forum here to get a notion of whether they are on the right track with a project.

I wouldn't be surprised if the students laughing along with the lecturer already knew that.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fonenyc
really? lmao ok kid you win I apologize on behalf of all your peers who seem to be a part of " no child left behind" policies of today. LOL really ? OMG that was too funny. What college do you go to? plz let me know so I can laugh extra hard next time I hear about it. Now Im not one to brag but when you get out of school you'll be lucky to afford the rent I charge you.

In this economy and the rate jobs are disappearing lol cmon really? LMAO!!!!

btw Im proud of you for the drive you lol showed getting to college lol uhm I hope you reach your lol goals and reach you potential as a comedian lol one day. Join the army kid noone gives a ish about your life. Oh yeah btw peace

reply to post by Steam

You are ignorant and naive.

You really do have a problem with "college" students since it seems I have gotten under your skin with my words.

Could it be jealousy and envy??

If you would really like to know what University I go to look earlier in this thread and you will find out.

We can see how "educated" and "intelligent" you really are by looking at your reply.

Just look up the unemployment rate for those who have a college degree and better yet for those who have PhDs versus those without any college education.

See the difference, that's right having an education does pay off.

edit on 7-12-2010 by Steam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This is a board for discussion. Why does it somehow need to qualify as a 'credible source'? I've been here for a while, there are good threads, and there are retarded ones. Don't read the retarded ones. There are many different forums, on many different topics, including legitimate news. I highly doubt this professor has spent enough time (if any) here to cast an accurate judgement, and is just forming his opinion based on CT stereotypes. Whatever though, I don't really care what other people think. I like it here, it's entertaining...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
reply to post by Mr Mask

One rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.

Sure, there are some interesting theories here, some of them could be true, some of them are well thought out, and some of them have been investigated for years and years.

But for one good thread (good apple) how many bad apples are there?

This site is a conspiracy theory site.

Theoretical conclusions differ, uniquely, between each individual who has an equal right to use this site. If I believe blue is black as my theoretical assumption and another believes blue is actually blue, then we are both entitled to our personal theories because they are just that, theories in regards to personal perspective. That is why this website is unique; to be conformed into what we are "supposed" to believe by the "TPTB" is to be enslaved by our own will towards passiveness and ignorant acceptance of what we are not.

edit on 7-12-2010 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well said, I can see thet college education at work. Obviously you have nothing to worry about since you chose to answer back and prove that youre no petty minded wannabe "intellectual" who probably is a janitor at his alma mater in the future. LOL just quit and go to bed kid youre boring me.

reply to post by Steam

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
ATS' motto "Deny Ignorance" doesn't seem to be adhered to these days. The conspiracy theories that come about these days get wilder and wilder, and I can't remember a single prediction made on this site that has come true. So does ATS deserve any credence? Why are the theories proposed here believed if they never come true? Are we really "Denying Ignorance" by coming up with such outlandish theories? Do we at ATS deserve any respect, or should we be ridiculed like this when mentioned in public?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I'll just comment on this part: I agree 100%.

I get flamed all the time when I express doubt or outright disagree with obviously ridiculous theories or claims. For example, "UFOs" videotaped at night. Read my signature on how I feel about those.

I lend zero credence to ANY predictions any more because none of them ever come to pass. Then there's the 9/11 subject that degrades into name-calling and arguments with every new post. I have visited this site less and less lately because of the fact that there is little civil discourse any more.

There is little logic employed by a lot of people on this site as well, which speaks to the point you made about people believing outlandish theories. Seriously, why do so many people believe something just because it's repeated a few times on the internet and substantiated only by other material quoted from the internet?

As for the college instructor, who knows.. cop types aren't always the sharpest bulbs in the happy meal. They are real good at following orders and not always good at thinking for themselves. No offense to you LE out there.
edit on 7-12-2010 by AwakeinNM because: Homey can't type.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimistPrime

Recording lectures at my university is different on a class to class basis. Some instructors will allow you to, and others will allow you to only if every student in the class is ok with it.

I'm not sure of this particular instructor's policy on recording class, but I never noticed anyone with any noticeable recording devices during class.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
i believe that it was ridiculed, some of the crap that goes for "intelligent" discussion is amazing. I have never seen so many extremely PARANOID children in one setting, it seems that the wilder the theory the more people Star and flag as an important revelation of thing going on in this world. I enjoy coming here and reading the BS that some of you believe with no proof whatsoever. it is just amazing the crap some of you believe.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fonenyc
Well said, I can see thet college education at work. Obviously you have nothing to worry about since you chose to answer back and prove that youre no petty minded wannabe "intellectual" who probably is a janitor at his alma mater in the future. LOL just quit and go to bed kid youre boring me.

reply to post by Steam

Whatever,

I am done talking with you.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
People come on ATS with different interests. Not everyone is interested in the conspiracies nor does everyone contribute to those threads. I think people who are into the alien conspiracies love drama. It pumps the imagination with fear like a scarey movie, only in this case, they are not sitting passively in the audience. They are active participants in creating the drama.

On the other hand, not all the conspiracy theories have been wrong. Alot about the plans for a world government have come out in mainstream sources and from Presidents' mouths. Fears about the elite growing to ignore the constitutional rights of Americans has come true with Homeland Security. They have now named groups of Americans terrorists whereas they were given their mission to block Islamic terrorists. Angst over the sexual molestation at the airports of American gradmas and children is legit. Homeland Security is out of control.

I have only seen one "troubled" child come on ATS to express their upset. I saw responses that were like moms and dads giving the kid good advice and encouragement.

Law enforcement (Homeland Security) is currently looking at conspiracy sites for police state action because they don't like the ideas expressed on these sites. That is what your class was about. They want to "educate" you to see conspiracy sites as dangerous to kids. Connecting that kid's crimes to the fact he posted on this web-site is just pure police state demonization. They are cranking up to violate more of the constitution in the name of safety. They should stop their nasty, paranoid selves and respect freedom.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I believe this isn't a hoax. The clincher for me was the fact: "higher level criminal justice course"

No telling what kinds of stuff they've got there between the ineptitude of the instructor/professor, the collusion of a state-run institution, and the unfortunately those who are willing to actually pay money to be instructed in it...

While amazing- yes, definitely not surprising.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sakokrap

What is amazing to you? The fact that ATS was ridiculed?

If so, I don't find it hard to believe that ATS would be joked about given some of the crap that comes out of here. What makes that amazing to you?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I have been coming to ATS for quite awhile now and post very little. But in this case, I am making an exception to hopefully make a point.

I have always been interested in the unknown whether it is UFOs, paranormal experiences, hidden knowledge, lost or clarified history, potential conspiracy scenarios, etc. Its been a lifetime of entertainment, enlightenment and generally is met with "oh, interesting" followed by "but I doubt it true/accurate/correct". But always met with an open mind because the only thing of which I am certain is that I don't know everything...and neither does anyone else.

There are many websites available that make ATS look like a gathering of scholars and geniuses by comparison. Trolls, immature "gee whizzers", ignorant wannabes, attention-starved kids, and generally loony people that apparently feel it necessary to spread their opinions or beliefs, no matter how far out. And sometimes they land here. Fortunately the board moderators remove them fairly quickly. Or they are ridiculed by the rest here that actually are just normal, interested people like myself.

The bottom line is that ATS truly does deny ignorance while creating a forum for any that wish to "run the gauntlet" of those in here that will rip you to shreds if you cannot bring a sound point or verifiable proof of wild claims and conjecture. And that is what makes this site truly unique. Bring your loonies and we will eat your argument for a snack and have time later to talk about other things of greater interest.

So, in my opinion, this professor has actually missed the point of this site. It is not to hype loony theories but to bust them when they arrive. This site is not driving any sane person to do anything irrational nor pushing the weak-minded further into whatever dark despair they may carry. They brought that with them, it was not created here. With or without ATS, the young man referenced would have committed his acts for his own dark reasons. Even inferring that this site was responsible for contributing anything in his twisted psyche is disingenuous. It is akin to attributing crime to a video game. It simply fits someones agenda, belief or opinion. And, as such, is completely worthless.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I don't think most of us come here for the truth. It's merely a source of entertainment, similar to reading the tabloid newspapers. Unfortunately, there are those who take this site a bit too seriously. I often think there constant heart break and disappointment must be agonizing. Enough to drive an already unstable person to the point of mass murder.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
wisefoolishness,

Ask that Professor why the Federal Department of Education submitted a proposal on www.FedBizops.gov looking for someone to sell them shotguns.

Why does the Federal Department of Education need shotguns?

Some things....you won't even get that Professor to discuss in front of a group. Hence why the internet becomes the realm for people to theorize what is going on.

Why do you think the Federal Department of Education needed shotguns? I theorize the economy is not going to get better and somebody's going to need to "collect" from all those students who took out massive loans for an education....and will never find a job to pay off those debts.

Weren't college loans nationalized as well? Uncle Sam's getting ready to collect. Maybe if those students realized their economic opportunities were nill....they wouldn't be getting into massive debt so that "Professor" can keep getting rich...when he knows his students will be enslaved with a debt they will never be able to repay.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I attend a MAC school and i wonder if anyone besides me even knows what ATS is
. Id love to chat with a professor about it, actually did have a good talk with my history professor about wikileaks though. I was surprised by his remarks as they were most certainly not something a MSM follower would say.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

The instructors description of this site was something to the effect of, "A site where conspiracy theorists go to talk about how the UN is going to invade the US and use the backs of road signs (because Europeans drive backwards, they will see the backs of our road signs) to help direct them to FEMA concentration camps where the undesired will be held, and Obama will be ok with this, because he's from Venus."

As you might guess, the subsequent laughs were overwhelming.

And then I thought to myself, "What did he say that was wrong?"

Everything. Everything he said was wrong. Oh except the part where conspiracy theorists go to discuss rumors, scandals, and conspiracy theories.

There are no FEMA camps.
The UN is not going to invade the US.
And no, your president is not from Venus.

Delusional, much?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
I think this is a hoax if you really want to know......

I doubt it. I remember when that Jeff Weiss kid shot up his school. The American mainstream media was all over it like flies on crap.

I remember CNN bringing up Weiss's ties to websites, including ATS and some white supremacist site. ATS was ridiculed on CNN as some crazy conspiracy site in accordance with their demonization campaign against Weiss.

So it is not surprising at all to me that some high-class law school would take notes from the mainstream media.

(I'm confident that the kid's name was Jeff Weiss, I haven't really read to far in this thread and I don't feel like looking up school shootings)

EDIT:

There are no FEMA camps.

Actually yes there is, it was documented well enough that I saw them right after the Katrina fiasco. If Popular Mechanics bothered to write an article debunking them, then there's a good chance that they exist

edit on 8-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
One thread I was involved in actually got feedback from the newsmaker in question, who was highly complementary of the quality of the discussion in the thread.

The thread concerned a spike in the money supply prior to 9/11 and the person at the center of the controversy was Bill Bergman a former Federal Reserve Bank investigator. The topic in question is a technical one concerning the so-called M1 component of the money supply, of the United States. It required members to do some research and was argued vigorously on both sides of the debate as to the meaning of the oddity.

I know, personally, I was on a steep learning curve during the discussion and I'm sure others were as well, but some members were familiar with the territory. That's typical of serious discussions on ATS. Sometimes very knowledgeable and experienced people will chip in with comments.

Here is Mr. Bergman's response to an ATS discussion. I think it speaks for itself.

Important 9/11 Financial Anomaly Revealed!!

Originally posted by Bill Bergman
I've been googling myself in recent weeks, and would just like to thank the people contributing to this thread. This has some of the best discussion of my material that I've seen.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Certainly there are going to be many experts on many different topics here. Economics, politics, physics, biology, psychology, sociology, law, history, literature, Military, weaponry, survival, et c, et c. You name it, someone here knows a great deal about it.

But I think for every well versed individual, there are 5 low-lifes who are here for attention, or some other reason. You get the idea.

Thanks for sharing that information, by the way. I hadn't seen that.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join