It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Godzilla" Stealth Ship to Stalk Japanese Whalers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I think that the fact that they are close to humans in intelligence is a big deal. Also with the Japanese killing Dolphins they appear to have no empathy for intelligent animals.

I do not eat meat BTW, and do not judge you for doing so. I do not understand why we do not have this kind of outrage to our factory farms as many, many animals are treated inhumanly. I find it absolutley disgusting that we treat any animal that way. But, whales are very intelligent and should be treated so.

This is like the discussion from Pulp Fiction now.

Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy !@#$. Pigs sleep and root in sh#t. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming @#$%' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

How come when I type in a list of smartest animals whales do not appear in the five websites I've gone to already. But pigs, octopus, etc. are on all of them and menus across the world without hesitation. I just can't understand the thinking on this, sorry. But your post was by far the closest to my feelings anyone has shared yet. S&F

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

www.newscientist.com...

Whales are in the same category as dolphins. They have not been studied as in depth as dolphins as they are a little bit harder to keep in captivity.

Whales are also endangered, that is why there is such an uproar about them. A lot of the animal goes to waste as well, as there is a lot we do not eat. Octopi and pigs are not, and I think looking at studies done on octopi intelligence that they are just as smart as us.

But, then again, I would support people standing up for all animal rights no matter what animal. Now don't get me wrong, hunters out there who kill and eat all of their meat are okay in my book. I just hate people that think an endangered animal is a "delicacy."

Many animals that we kill have been on the earth a lot longer than we have and have more of a stake in the planet than we do.

Thanks for the reply.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I totally agree with you.

The only reason I eat meat/fish from the supermarket is I hate to see it go to waste, which much of it does. I find it to be undignifying and since there is little else to do at that point eating is a way of restoring dignity to the animals that sacrificed there lives for us.
If I hunted and I haven't, but would if I had to, I would not waste a scrap and would only kill out of necessity. My point to posting what I posted was merely to show the hypocritical nature of many who buy into these shows, including the people who make them. It angers me when someone feels the life of one specie is more valuable then another, this is a type of racism, even if it is with a different species then our own.
Honestly I cringe when I step on an ant, I can't even kill a spider walking above my bed, I have to show it the way out instead.
Good talking to you pred....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Good talking to you too.

I understand that concept of eating meat and I used to eat it as everyone else does. But, a couple of years ago I watched a documentary called Earthlings, and well, that did it for me.

Not only are these animals suffering, being separated from their mothers/kids and knee deep in their own feces but they are so infected with various diseases. Then, we pump then full of hormones and steroids to get the most meat possible out of them. Really it is just sick in my book.

Also, animals seems to have a sixth sense, when they are alive, bleeding out, certain chemicals from their brain are being released. These chemicals are in the meat we are eating. We are eating chemicals from their fear. Grosses me out.

I always think about what you say, about the meat going to waste, and that makes me sad, but I figure what the companies want more is not to lose money. If there is meat being wasted there will be less animals dying.

I know I might be one person, but there are lots of people that are stopping eating meat. We are supposed to only eat 2 credit card sized pieces per week anyway. If people just stuck to that it would make a big difference as well.

I heard in one hamburger patty, there is meat from over 100 animals. And when you see the "meat" that goes into hamburgers, well....yuk.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSAisaSCAM

I want to quit eating meat, but I just don't know what to eat otherwise that will satisfy me... Any suggestions?
edit on 6-12-2010 by TSAisaSCAM because: I mean chocolate is good, but I can't live on that. =P

It is something you have to want to do, that's for sure.

I don't know about where you live, but here we have veggie ground round. A very similar substance to ground beef with the flavor and texture.

One of my things when I quit was the fact that I love taco's, so this was a great substitute.

I hate tofu so I refuse to eat that. But there are quite a few substitutes for meat. Go down to a health food store and you will find a section with these things.

Our big chain grocery stores carry the substitute stuff here.

And veggies, you have to love veggies. I'm a big veggie and fruit lover and my favorite drink is water so it was a bit easier for me.

My wife kicked and screamed during the transition, but now she is happy to be a vegetarian.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

That's the same crowd that think throwing a live cat into a boiling vat of oil is ok, because they contend it makes the meat more delicious if the cat dies in agony.

Could you please show evidence to support this statement., for I assume that you are trying to label cat-killers onto Japan. Whilst certain nations of asia eat cat, they are not whaling nations.

For far as I'm aware the whaling nation of Japan is a nation of cat lovers.

Japan’s Love for Cats and Dogs
lovemeow.com...

Japan is known for its love affair with cats and dogs – the famous Maneki Neko cat statue that is prevalent across the country, their first feline corporate executive a cat named Tama and cat Cafés that serve as a haven for cat lovers who do not have the previlege to own cats.

To date according to Japan Pet Food Association (JPFA), there were 10 million cats in Japan in 2009 compared to 6.2 million in 1994. The number of cats per household has exceeded the national birthrate. There have been more pets than children in Japan since 2003. According to reports from JPFA, there were 19.2 million cats and dogs versus 17.9 million children under the age of 16 in 2003. The number rose to a staggering figure of 23.2 million cats and dogs as opposed to merely 6 million children by 2009.
During the ancient times, dogs were utilized for hunting and guarding for families and cats were kept as mousers. However, things have changed completely to date where people value their pets as members of their own families.

I have been to Japan & found they are a nation of cat freaks.
edit on 7-12-2010 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I don't see the point in wasting more donated funds just to film more whales getting slaughtered..

Time to buy a sub off a poor Russian state and show these Japs what it feels like to be harpooned..

Now that would be donations well spent..

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Aww man! I thought the craft was going to look like Godzilla not just have his image painted on the side. That's lame seriously. At least get an inflatable Godzilla and strap it to the bow, or tow it behind the boat on ski's, that will scare the hell out of those Japanese whalers.

This reminds me of the southpark episode where the Japanese were running into Sea World and killing all the dolphins. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe at the end of the episode they were using a gigantic Godzilla to scare off the Japanese. So it's not even original! they are stealing the idea from the creators of southpark, double lame!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Here are a few pics I snapped yesterday while Gojira is docked here in town for a final fit-out, coat of 'stealth' black paint and taking on supplies.

Impressive vessel indeed and I applaud what these guys are doing at considerable personal risk to keep the whaling issue in the public's collective faces, maybe not all of their tactics but this is a rough game being played in a dangerous place.
edit on 7/12/2010 by Pilgrum because: changed tags to enable scroll bars

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Here are a few pics I snapped yesterday while Gojira is docked here in town for a final fit-out, coat of 'stealth' black paint and taking on supplies.

Impressive vessel indeed and I applaud what these guys are doing at considerable personal risk to keep the whaling issue in the public's collective faces, maybe not all of their tactics but this is a rough game being played in a dangerous place.
edit on 7/12/2010 by Pilgrum because: changed tags to enable scroll bars

That is the American version of Godzilla not the Japanese

American
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/245e7e8ffed1.jpg[/atsimg]

Japanese
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8233b21f2052.jpg[/atsimg]

The American film was a travesty. It was being able to see the ripper on the back of the rubber suit in the original Japanese Godzilla movies that made them such cult classics.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
People keep saying this every year but I think it's relevant.
"Before too long somebody is going to get killed down there"

But having said that, I support what the Sea Shepards are doing down there, even if their tactics are highly dubious at least they are doing something and at the very least are raising more attention to the issue. The governments of the world are clearly not interested in putting a stop to illegal Japanese whaling as there is too much foreign investment to be lost.

Also, awesome boat.
Awesome name.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

thanks for the pics.

here it is on video

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
People keep saying this every year but I think it's relevant.
"Before too long somebody is going to get killed down there"

But having said that, I support what the Sea Shepards are doing down there, even if their tactics are highly dubious at least they are doing something and at the very least are raising more attention to the issue. The governments of the world are clearly not interested in putting a stop to illegal Japanese whaling as there is too much foreign investment to be lost.

Also, awesome boat.
Awesome name.

I have to agree 100%, neither the NZ or Aus govt has the balls to step in and do anything for fear of losing trade with Japan, there is no need for this whaling to still be going on.
Anyone who has ever seen a real whale close up would know that this is wrong, scientific research my arse!

Best of luck to Sea Shepard.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Your point is what?

I like a good steak, rare as hell and bleeding. I bet I could make you vomit watching.

What does that farmed animal which was humanely killed have to do with an animal with a larger brain than you or I? One that is harpooned, and suffers for hours till it is killed with chainsaws and axes, or slowly drowns as its lungs fill with fluid?

Just so the rich can taste a "delicacy"

Your point is what again?

How justified is this hunting, what need does it fulfill?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Your point is what?

My point to posting what I posted was merely to show the hypocritical nature of many who buy into these shows, including the people who make them. It angers me when someone feels the life of one specie is more valuable then another, this is a type of racism, even if it is with a different species then our own.

What does that farmed animal which was humanely killed have to do with an animal with a larger brain than you or I? One that is harpooned, and suffers for hours till it is killed with chainsaws and axes, or slowly drowns as its lungs fill with fluid?

I agree hunting whales to extinction is ridiculous but I don't see the difference in killing a whale, cow. pig or chicken. But, by your answer, I guess if we started to farm whales and kill them humanely then they wouldn't care as much about being slaughtered, would they?
This is like the discussion from Pulp Fiction now.

Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy !@#$. Pigs sleep and root in sh#t. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming @#$%' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

How come when I type in a list of smartest animals whales do not appear in the five websites I've gone to already. But pigs, octopus, etc. are on all of them and menus across the world without hesitation. I just can't understand the thinking on this, sorry. They kill a couple whales and everybody flips out while millions of pigs/octopi get slaughtered daily but nobody cries for them. And octopi are one of the smartest creatures on the planet.

See above

It's just as justified as wanting bacon with your eggs or octopus salad, which many of the hypocritical whale lovers eat without bating an eye.
The only reason I eat meat/fish from the supermarket is I hate to see it go to waste, which much of it does. I find it to be undignifying and since there is little else to do at that point eating is a way of restoring dignity to the animals that sacrificed there lives for us.
If I hunted and I haven't, but would if I had to, I would not waste a scrap and would only kill out of necessity. And I don't waist anything that is slaughtered, I frequently eat what we throw out here in the usa like calves brain w/ onions, steak tartar from leftover cuts and have tried fresh blood in milk, rat, cobra heart (still beating), tuna heart (still beating) and many other more interesting delicacies from other countries I have visited (I only listed the 'safe' ones). So you go to your steakhouse and eat rare meat, call me if you ever feel adventurous.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Flar and stag! This makes me very happy to see and hear this. Ahahaha, save the whales, yes! Mwahahahaha.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

You do know whales are free range animals right now.

And you are right I miss worded my line. I have respect for all life.
But I am not going into my beliefs on this thread.
edit on 12/6/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

Oh man, you just made my day!

Whales are a resource that we would be stupid not to take advantage of, hunting them to extinction on the other hand would be just as stupid.

And a grenade in the heart or head is not anything like beeing thrown into a boiling pot of oil (not that I personally have tried either).
The sea sheperds are a dangerous bunch of fanatics that endanger lives at sea, unacceptable imo, and they have total disrespect for facts and reason.

I watch the show and remember one comment standing out: "Did you know whales are just as smart as people, some even smarter".
I guess that depends on what you mean by smart, I mean, I think my dogs are pretty smart; they never work, get free food and housing and a lot of cuddling. However I wouldnt want my grand danois to fix my computer anytime soon.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Really now, the fact they are endangered upsets me.

But do you even know how they taste, what if they are delicious?

Some species of whale are endangered, some are not.
And some species eat a whole lot of fish, in Norway whales eat 2/3 as much as the entire fishing fleet catch per year, so regulating (not eradicate) the population seems like good ecology to me.

I promise you that the filet mignon you get from calfs is the most delicious meat you'll ever taste.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Your point is what?

I like a good steak, rare as hell and bleeding. I bet I could make you vomit watching.

The bluewhales brain is the size of a walnut, around the same as a pig. Pigs are generally smarter than dogs...
So if you want us to eat stupid animals I guess dogs would be good?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You kinda hit it.

It is very emotional and that makes people watch. As far as cows and chickens, it would be damn near impossible to get sponsors for a show like that. Monsanto may not like it. Not that they control anything mind you.

I do not believe their will ever be an honest look at this on TV. Folks simply do not want to hear how cruelly their dinner was treated. They want to eat processed mystery meat will calling someone who shoots a deer and eats it inhumane.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join