It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Sea-Level Rise at End of the Last Ice Age Interrupted by Rapid 'Jumps'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Dec. 4, 2010

Southampton researchers have estimated that sea-level rose by an average of about 1 metre per century at the end of the last Ice Age, interrupted by rapid 'jumps' during which it rose by up to 2.5 metres per century. The findings, published in Global and Planetary Change, will help unravel the responses of ocean circulation and climate to large inputs of ice-sheet meltwater to the world ocean.

Coastal erosion in Portugal

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e5dd8616679.jpg[/atsimg]

Global sea level rose by a total of more than 120 metres as the vast ice sheets of the last Ice Age melted back. This melt-back lasted from about 19,000 to about 6,000 years ago, meaning that the average rate of sea-level rise was roughly 1 metre per century.

Link

This is the scary part, if we had a jump in ice melt we are in big trouble, it could effect shore lines all over the world, it has happened suddenly in the past and could again.

There is evidence all over that this occurred as they are finding cities underwater all the time, some may have happened gradually but we don't know that for sure.

Northern Europe could be effected first by a sudden ice melt, it would depend on how much ice melts at any given time.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Just look at what happend to "Atlantis" Plato described it as a naval power about the size of asia, Maybe thats what happend to it, God knows, its probably under the north pole

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The Global Warming crowd should jump all over this!

"See! If the ancients hadn't been burning fossil fuels, they wouldn't have experienced Global Warming! We can stop the sea level rise by not driving cars!"

"They didn't burn fossil fuels."

"Oh? Whaddya mean they didn't burn fossil fuels? So, if CO2 didn't cause the ice to melt, then what did?"

"It's a natural cycle of the Earth. As much as we humans would like to think we know, we don't know diddly."

"oh"

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

Global warming on not, this has happened in past many times, whatever the cause doesn't matter. If it is Global warming I don't think there is much if anything we can do about it as they may be natural events.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
well, the MSM tells up that the polar ice caps are melting at an unprecedented rate....I've been here for on third of a century....so that means there should have been an increase in sea level already.....but i can go to the same beach i went to as a kid....and the ocean is exactly where i left it

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
Just look at what happend to "Atlantis" Plato described it as a naval power about the size of asia, Maybe thats what happend to it, God knows, its probably under the north pole

Yes and I am of the mind that Plato was telling the truth even though many think it is just a mythical story, one day we will find Atlantis and it will shut the naysayers up once and for all.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Your welcome S&F

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Could certain of these 'rapid jumps' have been caused by circumstances such as the breaching of 'ice dams' in what would become the St. Lawrence River? You can see archaic beaches in the Great Lakes basin that mark the different levels of the Pleistocene lakes.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Good observation Johnny, but my feeling is that a combination of things cause these catastrophic events, also it may be like the domino effect.

Thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I think we have to factor in some other things like for instance the land bridge that they believe once held vehicular toll traffic between Asia and America in the Neanderthal Turnpike System.

Was water held back in because of land masses that later gave way that caused certain areas to have a greater rise over shortened periods of time, that only led to a receding once those land masses gave way and allowed the majority of the oceans and seas to become the same body of water?

I am not sure how accurate the measurements really are when applied to the whole globe when they were just measured in select locations.

Since I live in a coastal area that is technically at 'sea level' in a state that is rarely a few feet above sea level, even when standing, this story is very important to me!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thought Florida was at sea level, you never know what can happen, not sure what year it was but at the end of the nineties but before 2002 there was a flood in Citrus County Florida that was approximately nice feet high, the open Gulf in that area is about 10 miles from U.S.19 and the water came up to and beyond that point. There was no warning and don't think they know yet what caused it.

My Dad who has a winter home there said they call it 'no name flood'

Found some info on it.
March 1993 the "No Name" storm, silently brought major flooding to Citrus County, FL ...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-12-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Thought Florida was at sea level, you never know what can happen, not sure what year it was but at the end of the nineties but before 2002 there was a flood in Citrus County Florida that was approximately nice feet high, the open Gulf in that area is about 10 miles from U.S.19 and the water came up to and beyond that point. There was no warning and don't think they know yet what caused it.

My Dad who has a winter home there said they call it 'no name flood'

This was likely the no-name storm of 1998, an unamed tropical wave that developed into a hurricane within hours over the lower gulf and everglades before anyone really identified it as any kind of potential threat. It then slowly marched across the glades and lake Okeechobee dumping massive amounts of rain and causing wide spread flooding that caught many people and vehicles completely unaware. It was almost three weeks until the last of the cars that sucked water into their intake manifolds were towed away to repair shops in what is reverently remembered as the No Name Storm.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

March 1993 the "No Name" storm, silently brought major flooding to Citrus County, FL ...

No not 1998, the one I am talking about was in 1993 in Citrus County which is about 80 miles north fo Tampa on the Gulf, it was not associated with a Hurricane jiust 'normal' rain.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

No not the same no name storm! I wasn't living in Florida in 1993. This was in late October or early November of 98 right after the birth of proto Jr.!

Pretty close though, same state, same decade!

top topics

join