It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Taliban gets PTSD too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The Taliban gets PTSD too, well that's good to know, though then again, maybe not so much. From the many people I know who suffer from this invisible but tragic wound of war, I often hear them say that they wouldn't wish it upon their worst enemy. So, while it may seem comforting at first to know that our heroes aren't the only ones susceptible to this [literally] frightening mental condition, it's also sad that anyone has to go through it at all, enemy or not. This seems to be just another cold hard fact of war, not only for our soldiers, but apparently theirs too.

I know far too many veterans who have had their lives turned up upside down (with some lives ended) due to PTSD, where any semblance of normality is long gone and will probably never come back, at least to how it was before, when innocence was a virtue. It seemed like an advantage, a single advantage that the Taliban had on us, though apparently it isn't, and that is what's is comforting. However, it just seems so unnatural to take comfort in the unpractical suffrage of anyone, regardless of who they are.

Take for instance this example below. While it may seem funny to most (and it is, at least if you know "hoggie"), it's also very disturbing, comforting and sad, all rolled up into one.

On his home ground, back in Afghanistan’s embattled Helmand province, Payanda Mohammad refuses to give up his sidearm. He wore it proudly as a sign of his rank when he led a Taliban combat squad, and his family members still allow him to carry it—after they quietly and prudently made sure the firing pin was removed. They never know when he’ll fly into another unprovoked rage, or when he’ll experience another violent flashback to the battles he fought against U.S., British, and Afghan government forces around his home village in Nawa district, not far from Marja. It can take several people to wrestle him to the ground when he has one of his fits.

But right now the weapon is hundreds of miles away. His family made him leave it home when they sent him across the border to Pakistan for medical treatment. He and two of his cousins are sitting in a grimy hotel room in Peshawar, talking to a NEWSWEEK reporter, when Mohammad sits bolt upright on his bed and shouts: “Quick! Give me my walkie-talkie!” He grabs his mobile phone—without turning it on—and begins barking orders: “Zahid! Do you have enough weapons and RPGs? Good! Maneuver around to the right! Obaid, you make sure our bombs are primed and hidden in the right places along the canal! See that all the men are alert, so none of the English can escape!” He waits, listens, and issues a final command: “Hold the detainees until I give the next order. I will convey the results of our successful attack to our superiors.” He slumps back on the bed, visibly exhausted.
Source: www.newsweek.com...

While his story may seem hilarious or amusing to many, I don't intend to make light of the situation or condition, as PTSD is very real, with some very serious consequences for those who are unfortunate enough to suffer from it. To be quite honest, I don't know whether to be happy or sad at this news, so I'll just run with both.

We can take comfort from the thought that our enemy doesn't have the sole advantage to inflict such a serious wound on our soldiers, but at the same time, we must cede solace to the idea that anyone would suffer from this unintended consequence of war. We also have to remember that many, if not most of these Taliban fighters are simply fighting for what they perceive to be their country, as opposed to any kind of extremism and the reality is that the vast majority had nothing to do with attacking American civilian targets. Their soldiers are simply fighting for their country, as is our soldiers, though they are still our enemy. I'm not suggesting that we should wish sugar-plumbs and daisies on our enemy, only that we shouldn't take solace in their suffering, especially when it has no advantage to our goals.

Take the news for exactly what it is and enjoy (if you must).

Anyway, there is much more to this article, which can be found here. Not only is this article interesting in the subject of this OP, but it also gives us a peek into the minds and operations of the Taliban. I suggest that everyone read it.

--airspoon

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Interesting report but when you think about it not that surprising, they undergo the same stimulous after all.

Also interesting your own attitude sort of like you were a little surprised as though it didn't chime with your own observations of the enemy, it would be great to hear your views on the adversaries you fought, I have a huge amount of respect for you, gleaned from your posts and threads.

This goes for all vets your views of your adversaries and the war in general will I'm sure be greatly appreciated, real information so to speak.

I remember as a child 40 odd years ago seeing a guy go through the actions of throwing a hand grenade then throwing himself to the floor, my dad told me he was HandGrenade Harry, he had shell shock and that when dad was a boy after WW2 loads of guys were like that.

I guess its been the same throughout the history of warfare, everyone must have their limit to the brain twisting they're forced to endure in war, war a strange exercise in the control of man that our leaders love to practice.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That can't be right...it's almost like they are saying those rag heads are people too...

BTW That's sarcasm for those who are unable to pickup on such things.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
P.T.S.D isnt and never has been limited to just americans.. Have seen it here among some of the locals (both hmong and vietnamese along with laotians and cambodians) also have learned to live with it as have it myself. Not surprised in the least to hear that people in afghanistan have it as well.. War fooks up everyones head regardless what side they were on.. Maybe one day the idiots will kill each other off and humanity will be able to live in peace without the nightmares..

new topics

top topics

join