It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now all smoke packages look the same.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Now all smoke packages look the same.

(smoking kills translated from norwegian)

translate.google.com

The EU will now limit the opportunity for producers marketing through packaging,

The law that will provide packaging ban is about to be adopted.

Objections to the bill must be in place by 15 December. And not unexpectedly, cigarette manufacturers are already on the track with threats of lawsuits.

Imperial Tobacco, which is behind Davidoff and Gauloises, is one of the actors who fires up to battle with to describe the proposal as "unnecessary, unreasonable and unfair"
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-12-2010 by Vicodin because: oO

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Amazing proposals!

Health and Care Services are closely monitoring the EU proposal.

Australia is about to introduce smoke-neutral packages.

Under the new regulations, all Norwegian smoke packets no later than the summer of 2011 have terror alerts in image form.

In the U.S., Federal drug regulators also presented their proposals to the horror pictures of American smoking packs, which will become a reality in the autumn of 2011.

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So we can look forward to white packs with nasty pictures on them and giant warning labels while the prices continue to rise.

www.business.dk...
edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: link failed

edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: and again

Ok I can't get the link to the google translated page to post correctly.
edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: fail

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Our packaging has not changed much yet over here, but I have noticed one thing about the cigarettes. They are bringing in the imports to keep the prices low and some of the fags actually aren't much different.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Yip! You sure can! We have had cigarette packets with disgusting medical images of all the conditions that smoking causes for a few years now and I think it's great! I for one hope NZ can be the first country in the world to make these things illegal! People would say "but what about my freedom?" which would be a fair argument, if you weren't blowing your cancerous 'freedom' all over me, my family, killing my grandparents and robbing the nation of their health and millions of tax payer dollars.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

Do you have a smoking ban in your country?

If you do then whinging about people blowing smoke all over you is no argument.

I think it is outrageous alienating particular members of the public from society further because they choose to smoke.

What about people you drink excessive amounts of caffeine or alcohol or the growing trend of obesity. Are they going to ban food for them? Of course not.

If people want to buy cigs and smoke it is their choice. If you don't like it do not wander into the designated smoking areas.

Nuff said

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

We have the pictures as well.

If people want to buy cigs and smoke it is their choice. If you don't like it do not wander into the designated smoking areas.

Agreed.

edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Fags are bad full stop - Anyone opposing this action should seriously look at the consequences of being a heavy smoker. The amount of money being spent by health authorities to treat smoking related illness in insane. The products should be labled for what they really are.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

I think you produced a silly argument.

Show me one paper that proves passive smoking causes cancer? I dont think there are any.

Over here in the UK we have had disgusting images on cigerettes for a number of years. Does it stop people smoking?? NO
My grandad is 89....has smoked his entire adult life....he hasnt got cancer. My nan smoked for over 50 years...she hasnt got cancer. I know a lot of people who have smoked for decades with no ill effect.

I personally believe alcohol and tobacco should be banned drugs. There are far safer alternatives...they may be classed as illegal but they are safer.

Everytime you go outside you breathe in crap from cars, buildings, manufacturing etc. But no one moans about that do they? Everytime you light your oven your potentially releasing dangerous unburned chemicals such as benzene. (yellow flicker in the flame)

Everything kills us....from the minute we are born we are dying and i think a lot of cancers are genetic, probably to do with all the unknown chemicals we spray on ourselves and ingest.

Its funny how cancer has only become such a problem in the last 50 or so years. Like i say....my grandparents have smoked all their adult lives but have escaped cancer...so that kinda shows tobacco is not the cause. I think there are many that effect us and could potentially cause cancer.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by linkshot1000

Which they are. This proposal will just strip any brand identification from them.
edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: words

edit on 6-12-2010 by aivlas because: less words

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
All packages might look the same but any smoker knows they don't taste the same.
So I fail to see what this is meant to accomplish myself.
Other than give non smokers a hard on that the government is "doing something".
Especially when tobacco products were already hidden away under counters and behind curtains in corner shops anyway.
Sounds like the whole thing was concocted by a weak willed reformed smoker who felt a twinge whenever he passed the fag counter at Woolworths and saw all the pretty coloured packets.

Of course, if they really gave a rats about smokers health and the health of their family and friends, they wouldn't have banned the electronic cigarette here. So yeah, whatever. It's not going to achieve anything but hold up the supermarket lines even longer while the girls at the smoke counter try to figure out which packet is which.
Double

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by linkshot1000
Fags are bad full stop - Anyone opposing this action should seriously look at the consequences of being a heavy smoker. The amount of money being spent by health authorities to treat smoking related illness in insane. The products should be labled for what they really are.

What about the legions of obese fatties that take my taxes on incapacity because they are too big to work? The strain that these disgusting people put on the NHS is just as bad.

What about the degenerate drunkards? The caffiene addicts, the sh*t that gets pumped out from cars, factories etc on a daily basis?

Granted smoking kills but so does everything else.

Thanks to the smoking bans that are now in force smoking no longer affects you unless you choose to let it. Stop blaming the sh*t state of our health service soley on smokers.

Also by outlawing cigarettes where do you think the government is going to get the shortfall on tax it loses?

Oh wait your wage packet, and i am sure when that happens all you anti smokers will be the first to complain...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well this is certainly good news for my new Cigarette packet cover business. Any suggestions as to what my first designs should be?

I was thinking this
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/53d9d2c169b2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I love it.

Of course there are many people who just put their cigarettes straight into a cigarette box and throw the packet away as soon as they buy it. I have a nice pink coloured one with matching lighter.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I agree smokes should be labeled as a killer - however so should alcohol - even if one doesn't drink the poison we are out there among those that drink and drive. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
When it comes down to it, its your choice whether you want to pay the money to smoke. Changing packets is not going to make a difference. Neither is someone on their death bed with lung cancer looking at you from a cardboard box. The Governments wont ban smoking either. Id like to see them try and part with the income they make from it.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Like they already are in europe.

www.google.co.uk... i=g-sx3&aql=&oq=europe+cig&gs_rfai=

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I agree.
It's also like saying those who consume fast food and soda drinks , knowing the absolute junk and chemicals that go into them, and the adverse health effects they can cause, won't stop anyone from eating/drinking it either.
It's all about freedom of what we put in our mouths.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

lol. then we should outlaw gas burning cars and fire places and coal grills, well basically anything that burns anything. see we complain about cigarette smoke and say we are polluting the air but before we had electric/gas heat we used fire places and camp fires, in which people had been breathing in for 1000s of years. so if u want to ban cigarette smoke then ban every form of burning material. and ur not breathing in my smoke when im in MY house, so who are you to tell me i cant smoke in MY house?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

I don't live in the UK ! But I have lived in three European countries and I have seen the same results in each. A smoker will defend his/her right to very end. They will never except the truth of the matter what ever evidence you put in front of them, I know, my mother is the same. However when I listen to her first thing in the morning I can tell you the coughing noises she makes are linked to nothing else. I too know of people in my family who have smoked all their lives and have lived to a good age. Thats the minority ! why would goverments print "SMOKING KILLS" on the packet if it wasn't true ?? Goverments want the revenue from the tax so if it wasn't true surely they would print "SMOKINGS GOOD" for you ! they don't.... Argue it until you're blue in the face it makes no odds.

I am not saying someone shouldn'd smoke, it's their choice, what I'm saying the packet shouldn't be attractive to sell them. People will always smoke, drink and take drugs but in doing so know the possible concequences of doing so. I knew a herion addict that lived as a junkie until he was 75 !! doesn't mean herion is OK does it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join