It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deja-Vu and Eternal Return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this topic for quite some time and I just want to see what others think about it. First off, for people who are reading this and do not know what eternal return is, it is the belief that time itself is in a constant loop. The best representation of this is Ouroborus or a dragon eating its own tail. I also believe that many of us have experienced some sort of deja-vu. I am referring to an event in our life that when it happens we get the feeling that it has happened before. Deja-vu can also be explained by when we dream and the events come true in the nearby future whether it is days or months. Personally, I have experienced both countless times throughout my life. My theory on deja-vu is that it is our consciousness' way to tell us that it has already happened and we are just experiencing it again. This ties directly into eternal return because if time is in a constant loop it would explain why we are experiencing deja-vu in the first place and why we have dreams of future events in our life. You can also make the argument this is why people experience precognition.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have thought this for a while now as well!
I haven't had deja vu for a while now actually come to think about it and I consider that to be a good thing because it may show that I am doing things different this time which has to be a good thing I guess! Especially if you believe in the evolution of the soul, cause I'd of thought doing the same thing over and over again may make you an expert at that one thing but it most definitely wont improve your skills in any other areas!

I read something similar to this theory aaages ago actually, I'll try to find the link again if I can. good old TERU, the enlessly repeating universe

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jbell1011

That's an interesting theory. It makes sense to me, since I too have had the Deja-vu dreams. What puzzled me about them is they were usually of run-of-the-mill, everyday events occuring. If eternal return or the time loop is real, that would explain why.

Have you ever been in a situation that you had the deja-vu dream of, and tried to change it?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I wanted to find the clip but I could not. Anyway in KPAX the movie about the guy who said he was an alien and ended up in a mental hospital; the main character says this exactly. That the universe repeats over and over again and to do things right the first time. Something along those lines I can't remember the direct quote, which is why I wanted to find the clip. Maybe I can find the quote? AH YES FOUND IT!!!!

The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever. What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have.

Exactly what I think you were trying to say in your thread? I have come to think this may possibly be the truth of the universe! However I dont beleive you will continuously repeat the same mistakes or do things the same every time like he says but mor like your OP says!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Personally, whenever I have had deja-vu from dreams, I don't realize it either until after or during the occurrence. The question I have pondered is why to we have dreams about future events or get the those feelings of deja-vu. Some may argue that it is to correct some kind of mistake. I am leaning towards that answer, but my curiosity believes that there is something more behind the phenomena. The one thing that would intrigue me is what are brain waves and brain patterns look like when someone is experiencing these dreams or deja-vu itself, but it would be really hard to accomplish since there is no telling when someone is experiencing deja-vu. Back to the original part, I have never tried to change the outcome of the event. The only thing that I have noticed that is different between the dream and actual occurrence are the names of the people. An interesting concept behind this is if things can be altered between dream and reality. If they can, then we can conclude that history can be changed, but if we cannot change the events then history is set in stone and there is nothing we can do about it. I personally believe that history can be altered, but there is no telling whether or not what we are doing is different or the same. It all leads back to why we experience deja-vu. Until someone has definite reason, then it is all speculation and theory.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever. What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have.

Actually, if anything this is an argument for not giving a damn about anything.

If the cycle is infinite and we repeat the same stuff over and over, then we've already repeated these same lives an infinite number of times. It's not like this is really burning us out, is it? So who cares?

Thankfully I don't believe this hypothesis.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Finally a thread on Déjà Vu! Thank you, OP. I shall begin with the words of the David Crosby song:

Déjà Vu - by David Crosby
"If I had ever been here before I would probably know just what to do
Don't you?
If I had ever been here before on another time around the wheel
I would probably know just how to deal
With all of you.
And I feel
Like I've been here before
Feel
Like I've been here before
And you know
It makes me wonder
What's going on under the ground

Do you know?
Don't you wonder?
What's going on down under you.

We have all been here before
We have all been here before"

I once went through a past life regression period with the help and advice of a trusted friend who is a clinical psychiatrist. By using this technique I went back a long ways, and what a journey it was! Of course the death periods are hard to bear at first, but once you are over that, you can go back, and I will tell you how.

First you have to be able to Visualize something of a material nature. Start with a clock, we are all used to watching that infernal thing anyway, aren't we? Light a candle, put on soft music, whatever gets you in the meditative mood.
See the clock clearly before your closed eyes. Now make the hands go backwards. With a little practice, this little exercise will take you back an hour or so, you can then "see" what you were doing at that time.

Now take it to a higher level. Visualize a calendar instead of a clock, and practice making that pages go back, further and further, days, weeks, months. Faster and faster you go back until a sudden traumatic memory comes into focus, then a flash. this is the death experience. Now, once this is all accomplished and you are quite used to "dying," you can travel back quite a long ways. I don't think anyone can go all the way back to creation, but you can go way back there.

Warning!! Be very aware that once these things, these events, come into concious memory, they cannot just be forgotten. I myself suffer from PTSD because of things I saw, forcing this upon myself in the way that I tend to do.

Hope this has helped a few souls who wish to go beyond normal life and live above the matrix.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

i feel the same way about deja vu, i feel like we can live the same lifetime as many times as we want also

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench Warning!! Be very aware that once these things, these events, come into concious memory, they cannot just be forgotten. I myself suffer from PTSD because of things I saw, forcing this upon myself in the way that I tend to do. Hope this has helped a few souls who wish to go beyond normal life and live above the matrix.

All of this is contrived. It is a consequence of an intention by the consciousness of the 'thinker'.

This necessarily raises the question of whether such memories are authentic or not.

Authentic memories of previous lives emerge not out of nowhere, but out of the context of relationships with people that we have known from previous lives.

Mi cha el

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

One time I was able to change the outcome of a deja-vu experience. I was driving down the highway returning from class, and just before getting to the onramp of another highway that merged into the one I was on , I realized I had dreamed this. As I approached the onramp, I was in the rightmost lane, and cars were merging in from the other highway on my right. I saw a car starting to come down the onramp, and I remembered that it was going to merge in without seeing my car. I also remembered a car would be beside me on my left, and I had nowhere to go, and the merging car would collide into me.

Well, as I saw the car coming down the onramp and remembering this, I looked in my mirror and saw a car coming up on my left, and I would have had nowhere to go. I hit the brakes, let the car on my left pass, then swung into the left lane. Just as I did that, the merging car went right over into the lane I was just in. No collision, and I drove on home.

Didn't really fully comprehend what just happened until I got home. I tell you, I was a little freaked out!

I now know you CAN change things, but they might not turn out for the better, after all.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Not necassarily, because things can change I have even seen the future and changed it. I beleive we repeat until we live it to either our satisfaction or a higher power's satisfaction, which means thing vary, even in a computer program that is to perform the same various tasks day in and day out, there will be a variation. IE the chaos theory...technically even the quote is saying it can be changed cause obviously it has already happened once the one way, but he's telling him to change it now while he is able to or lest he will live it again in the next go around because He (the person saying it) might not be there the next time around because he has done something differently? I don't know maybe I am reading too much into it.

For others who are saying about dreaming it ahead of time, that would be known as deja reve. I had a lot of those and they are very different then deja vu!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Okay, but that's definitely not saying the same thing as the K-PAX quote.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Which is why I agree with more what the OP says and not how it is quoted. They just are sorta similiar. Almost. Whatever. I don't know if the OP is right but I think it is a good explanation, myself.

top topics

join