It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you burn the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Reading threads about atheism got me thinking.

If there was a huge book burning of the bible tomorrow because atheism replaced Christianity, Catholocism, jusiaism, etc., would you burn the Bible?

Besides the fact that I rolled "J's" with Bible paper a couple times in my past, I would not burn the bible. I'm no religious person or an atheist. I believe in the power of knowledge, Learning is my God, where I find my divinity. Second to that is History. I would not burn any book for to do so is the greatest of evils and in doing so causes the greatest of ignorance.

The Bible has caused the death of millions upon millions of people in the most sadistic ways for centuries. It kept the world in a dark veil of ignorance that still continues today. It burned down the Alexandrian library because of it's cowardice and from that point our world became lost. It's crimes are unforgivable, unacceptable, and unforgettable.

But I still wouldn't burn it. It's impact was and is far to great to get rid of.

So just how many of you would burn the bible?
Or
How many of you would burn "On The Origin of Species?"
edit on 6-12-2010 by SlyFox_79 because: Added last question

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
No way. Book burning is just silly.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
To keep warm, yes. If we burn them now for no reason, they won't be there for emergency kindling.

As long as they aren't being wasted, I don't see a problem.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
no, simply because there is a very good book written about the perils of burning books.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Bible pages make great rolling papers.

(for cigarettes)
edit on 6-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
save the book burning for the inevitable Ice Age. And if it does happen in my life, then The Bible would be the first book I reach for, I'd save some books, like Genesis, Psalms, Ezekial, Daniel, and Song of Solomon, but the rest are pretty much trashed.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
burning ANY book is shameful and a sign of a small intellect and sinister leanings.

link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
To keep warm, yes. If we burn them now for no reason, they won't be there for emergency kindling.

As long as they aren't being wasted, I don't see a problem.

Good logic

link   
reply to post by ewokdisco

What book would that be, I would like to read it.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

How true

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It's still a historic document whether I believe in it or not.

If I was freezing to death though and I was down to my last two books "The Bible" and "On The Origin of species" then I'm afraid that the Bible would be meeting a fiery end.
I would be safe in the knowledge that if it was true then God would surely find another way to impart this vital knowledge to mankind
edit on 6-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Fahrenheit 451. [the degree to which book paper cathces light]. Ray Bradbury.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

If I was freezing to death though and I was down to my last two books "The Bible" and "On The Origin of species" then I'm afraid that the Bible would be meeting a fiery end.

edit on 6-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

I think I would try and save "On The Origin of Species" rather than the bible. I believe evolution plays a huge part in life but there is something more than evolution going on here and that's what I would fret if "On the origin of species" made it through the end of the world rather than the bible.
""

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I sadly should have guessed and sadly have not read it yet. Thanks

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

I don't think though that people need a book to feel that there is a spiritual side to life, it more or less seems to be an inmate part of being alive. I'm sure the people that came afterwards would invent their own gods pretty quickly.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Certainly not!

There is no luck in literary reputation. They who make up the final verdict upon every book are not the partial and noisy readers of the hour when it appears, but a court as of angels, a public not to be bribed, not to be entreated and not to be overawed, decides upon every man's title to fame. Only those books come down which deserve to last. Gilt edges, vellum and morocco, and presentation-copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date. It must go with all Walpole's Noble and Royal Authors to its fate. Blackmore, Kotzebue or Pollok may endure for a night, but Moses and Homer stand for ever. There are not in the world at any one time more than a dozen persons who read and understand Plato,—never enough to pay for an edition of his works; yet to every generation these come duly down, for the sake of those few persons, as if God brought them in his hand. "No book," said Bentley, "was ever written down by any but itself." The permanence of all books is fixed by no effort, friendly or hostile, but by their own specific gravity, or the intrinsic importance of their contents to the Page 155 constant mind of man. "Do not trouble yourself too much about the light on your statue," said Michel Angelo to the young sculptor; "the light of the public square will test its value."

www.emersoncentral.com...

I would choose a copy of Alice A. Bailey's "Esoteric Psychology I", instead.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Northwarden because: fixed link

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyFox_79

NO, NOR ANY GREAT BOOK TRYING TO LEAD THE HERD TOWARDS THE LIGHT.
2ND

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yeah I would, as long as it's my property, I'll burn any book I want.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Beautifully put, Thank you for the quote. I have been needing something like that for a while.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyFox_79The Bible has caused the death of millions upon millions of people in the most sadistic ways for centuries. It kept the world in a dark veil of ignorance that still continues today. It burned down the Alexandrian library because of it's cowardice and from that point our world became lost. It's crimes are unforgivable, unacceptable, and unforgettable.

Now that's a book I'd wanna keep for all the good laughs.

In all honesty my bible is sitting right on the reference shelf of my book shelf of books I haven't read yet, and want to read or are good for looking things up in. I wouldn't burn it because it has incredibly thin pages (bad for a lasting fire), and more importantly because I haven't read it yet. The bible is one of those books that is ingrained into many cultures over the course of history, and is fairly useful for understanding many references made throughout the ages. How would you understand that Jeremiah's name in Citizen Kane is referring to, or why a cross would be thought to repel vampires, or even why the roman's methodology of sentencing to death (crucification, yes I know that wasn't their only way) is hanging in your living room.

Originally posted by ewokdisco
burning ANY book is shameful and a sign of a small intellect and sinister leanings.

as for this I'm afraid that i'll need to disagree. There are some books that are irrelevant to intellect, some that would destroy intellect, and others still which have degraded beyond use and have already been reprinted somewhere. After all were would I be without my good book www.amazon.com... which I have for the sole purpose of waving it's cover in people's faces

top topics

<<   2 >>

join