It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul On Wikileaks: "A constant state of alarm must be fostered among the people to keep them fo

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

No its not.
In this case he would be protected by the First Amendment.

The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court as erecting a separation of church and state.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Herefore the law of receiving stolen document is preceded by the amendment of not making any law to infringing of the freedom of the press.

If they wished to prosecute for receiving stolen documents, they would first have to prove that WikiLeaks is in fact, not 'the press'.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Although.....

But is Wikileaks truly part of the "media?" Can a website that devotes itself exclusively to leaking documents compare itself to The New York Times? Clearly, the Justice Department is reexamining whether Mr. Assange and his website can face criminal prosecution under U.S. law.

Wording in some espionage statutes suggests that anyone who "publishes" information that relates to the national defense is liable for an espionage act violation. So even if Wikileaks qualifies as "media," Mr. Assange still might not be protected by the First Amendment. Even in the Pentagon Papers opinion, Supreme Court Justice Byron White stated that in certain situations, the publication of national defense information could subject media outlets to espionage prosecutions.

Furthermore, could the fact that Mr. Assange solicits these leaks translate into liability for conspiracy to commit espionage? Hypothetically, if evidence is uncovered that Mr. Assange, after receiving the initial Iraq video showing the death of these journalists, solicited additional information from Mr. Bradley or anyone else and encouraged them to leak, then he may face conspiracy liability. This would of course be difficult to prove, unless Mr. Manning agreed to testify.

According to the Baltimore Sun
articles.baltimoresun.com...

But this further raises into question the First Amendment regarding creating laws. At least one would think.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Take note that Ron Paul states that all these things are "being done in YOUR name".
Whatever could he possibly mean by that?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Paul gets to the meat and potatoes of things. Thats what is great about him. He doesn't want to get wrapped up in peoples illusions of conspiracies or the lies the politiclly charged media throw at us.

Hell give it to you straight. That is something you can count on. Thats how politics should be. No hiding anything. Good stuff.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
to be quite honest here,
I think Ron Paul doesn't know
everything he needs to know
before he defends wikileaks.
If Ron Paul finds out that
wikileaks funding is coming
laundered through several
George Soros foundations,
then he needs to stop
supporting wikileaks
or else he tarnishes his
reputation by associating and
supporting Soros funded propaganda.
Paul needs to do his homework
before going any further.

I would think Ron Paul has more resources and BRAINS than most..
I'd back his judgement over yours..

Don't you have your own fantasy thread with your theories??
Maybe post your unsubstansiated views there..

edit on 7-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by robwerden
If the United States want's to prosecute him, then they have to have a law that he violated, and if they are using laws of the United States to arrest him, then he is entitled to protection under the constitution.

Receiving stolen documents is a crime.

No it is not. New York Times Co. v. United States, 403 U.S. 713 (1971)
The case law is pretty clear on this

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

to be quite honest here,
then he needs to stop
supporting wikileaks
or else he tarnishes his

I would think Ron Paul has more resources and BRAINS than most..
I'd back his judgement over yours..

Don't you have your own fantasy thread with your theories??
Maybe post your unsubstansiated views there..

edit on 7-12-2010 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

Boondock isn't capable of thinking based on his own judgment.

Unless Glenn Beck says it, it isn't true. And anything anti Beck is disinformation. Like my post right now.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Everyday, I wonder how America could have let this guy escape their clutches. This man was America's only hope. And that's why he didn't win.

He has:
*Common sense
*A basic need to tell the truth (a fresh change of direction from other politicians)
*A well, thought out way to express his opinions and ideals so everyone can understand

Starred and flagged.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Gary Bauer Goes on the Attack Against Ron Paul

“Rep. Paul did enough bizarre things to earn him the RINO of the week (month? decade?) award,” wrote Bauer, who is now with the Campaign for Working Families PAC and Our American Values. “His first flight from reality was his vote in favor of Nancy Pelosi’s effort not to extend tax cuts for all Americans. Then he tried to water-down the censure of Congressman Rangel to merely a reprimand. Every conservative I know thought Rangel should have been expelled from Congress!

“But Paul’s week wasn’t over,” continued Bauer. “His next step was to be one of only two congressmen who refused to support a resolution condemning North Korea’s unprovoked attack on South Korea. Paul wrapped up his busy week of stupidity by defending American-hater Julian Assange, the owner of Wikileaks, whose disclosure of classified documents has put the lives of dozens, if not hundreds, of U.S. friends at risk.

“This week of ‘Paul Gone Wild’ doesn’t even include his hostility to Israel and his penchant for ‘playing footsie’ with conspiracy nuts who believe that 9/11 was a government plot instead of an Islamist plot,” added Bauer. “I don’t know what to call Ron Paul’s philosophy, but it sure isn’t conservatism. Ronald Reagan would be appalled.”

www.sunshinestatenews.com...

Gary is a complete idiot!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Boondock - I don't see him defending wikileaks so much as bringing forth the proposition that in a free society, it is wrong to hide what the government is doing and hazardous to make it a crime to bring forth the truth about what our government is doing in our name. It is a government run by the people of the people and for the people, so what he is postulating is that the people should know what our government is doing in our name.

Jaden

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Ron Paul is a nobody in a sea full of bigger fish - he can no more challenge the establishment than simply add confusion to an already bizarre plot.

Wiki leaks isnt a US entity asange isnt a US citizen and frankly our laws stop at our borders. - Being however the spirit that is wiki leaks every american should support it's right to exist as a voice for those that wish it.

Asange didnt steal these or any other documents, he hasnt been charged with the crime or any crime realting to wiki leaks and if you are going to measure his right to exist by our standards than you have to give him the right to be innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Furthermore, could the fact that Mr. Assange solicits these leaks translate into liability for conspiracy to commit espionage? Hypothetically, if evidence is uncovered that Mr. Assange, after receiving the initial Iraq video showing the death of these journalists, solicited additional information from Mr. Bradley or anyone else and encouraged them to leak, then he may face conspiracy liability. This would of course be difficult to prove, unless Mr. Manning agreed to testify.

The U.S. Govt. trying anyone for a "Conspiracey" is both laughable and hypocritical.

The more I hear about Ron Paul, the more I like the man. I can't help but wonder how TPTB will orchastrate his downfall.

S&F

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ron Paul did not defend Wiki leaks but criticized the government, and media reaction to Wikileaks. Rather than worry about the disclosure of embarrassing secrets we should instead focus on our delusional foreign policy.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Dr.Paul is right about our delusional foreign policy and the neo-cons who labor under the illusion that we should be spreading "democracy" the world over because it's supposedly our god-given mission.They ignore the fact that we just like the Roman empire are stretched thin and internally everyone is following their own agendas and have lost sight of the bigger picture which will lead to a collapse or a to a major confrontation with China or some other preconceived threat.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

I think Ron Paul doesn't know everything he needs to know before he defends wikileaks.

You have completely missed the important point that Ron Paul is making. His comments are directed at our frequently misdirected foreign policy. We have become the bully of the world, trying to disguise it, as "protecting democracy". In reality, we are trying to push our thoughts and practices down the throats of countries that want no part of it. In the process, we have alienated a vast majority of the world's population. How many million lives have we snuffed out, under the guise of trying to "save them"? We wanted to get rid of Sadam, and even though he was really no threat to us, we carried out a disgusting "Shock and Awe" campaign, brought to you live by CNN, and bombed Iraq back to the stone age. All to get rid of one person. Millions were killed during the Viet Nam war, to "prevent a communist "takeover", and in the end, it was for nothing. Obama continues Bush's irrational war in Afghanistan, ignoring the obvious lessons of history , from ancient times, through the failed Russian invasion, of any attempt to "conquer that nation.
Ron Paul understands this, and also understands that our nation is crumbling, as a result of the thievery of the Banksters and greedy politicians, whose hands as just as bloody, regarding the plight of our nation.
Regardless of who is funding Wikileaks, the fact remains that the "secrets" revealed merely show how corrupt our policies are, and how corrupt and two-faced our politicians are.
We need more people like Ron Paul.

This is a great post....
All of you that think the US is infallible and ride the Fox News wave just don't get it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

How interesting.

At the moment one of the books I'm reading is C.G. Jungs "The Undiscovered Self".

He mentions that at any time, the PTB are vying for the attention of the average schmoe. The "church" wants to be the favored "protector" with their fear mongering of hell and the "government" does the same with
the "enemy de jour".

Essentially, it seems the Prof. Jung is saying "Be your own Protector!"

Paraphrased (by me) DONT BELIEVE THE BRAVO SIERRA, and get your "self" squared away!
edit on 7/12/10 by felonius because: cant spell LOL

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

to be quite honest here,
then he needs to stop
supporting wikileaks
or else he tarnishes his

I kinda agree with you and the Dr.

RP is taking it at face value without consideration for those of us that smell a rat. I think he is aiming this at the general public. If so, he is correct in stating that 'questioning is not treason" (paraphrase).

In the event he is supporting WL because of its "stated purpose", then yeah. He needs to take a reality break.

As a side note and regardless of my misgivings about Assange,

The two Swede chicks he shagged? I smell a "honeypot" sting.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Forget the Soros connection, Assange the alledged rapist/ sexual trickster lol and forget wikileaks. Concentrate on the leaked information and what it reveals about foreign policy. Ok wikileaks and co. are criminals, just like BOA admits to guilt by forking over a couple 100 mil but yet do not face criminal prosecution; talk about "above the law".

Hang Assange, soros and all affiliated with wikileaks; not to mention everyone who even thinks about conspiracy theories. What is left a perfect society? Is Assange, Soros and Wikileaks the problem in America? NO but the information in the released leaked documents is.

There is really no other point to make.

edit on 7-12-2010 by fonenyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There are some things you hide and some things you don't. Let's take the S.510 bill. How much media attention did this bill get? Hardly any that I know of, until it passed senate. This is the kind of stuff, that you and I, the American public should know. We shouldn't have to find out about a bill that is going to be passed through alternative means. And the bill affects us, the American public. That shows us how shady and corrupt some things have become. Passing a bill "under the cover of darkness." They didn't want us to inspect the wording of the bill thoroughly.

We need to know things like this that are going to affect us all. If you are hiding the bill, then there must be something shady going on.

What we don't need to know is every little thing that happens. I don't need to know that a senator became mouthy and cursed. I don't need to know that the president sleeps in the nude. I don't need to know every tiny screw up.

We should be able to be "in the know" on the things that matter.

Troy

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join