It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks sold classified intel, claims website's co-founder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

WikiLeaks sold classified intel, claims website's co-founder

www.wnd.com

One of the early members and co-founders of the tight-knit, secretive WikiLeaks operation charged today that the website and its co-founder, Julian Assange, sold intelligence information the site had obtained.

John Young, whose name was listed as the public face of WikiLeaks in the site's original domain registration, also alleged that the website is a lucrative business.

Young said he left the site in 2007 due to concerns over its finances and that WikiLeaks was engaged in the selling of documents.

Young was speaking today to WND senior reporter Aaron Klein on Klein's radio prog
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well, here we go. Is this the truth or a Gov't attack on the leader? I tend to think that this guy probably knows what occurred within the organization but I have to wonder what his motivation is. Was he kicked out etc.

I have to say this one took me off guard as I did really think the they were a public watchdog type of outfit.

Now that I think about it, they have the tools to become the perfect blackmailer. This will be getting very interesting if this proves out to be true. And, I am sure someone is looking into this right now and that people will start coming foreward soon.

Sad situation all around-now.

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Strange. There is a huge amount of bad info concerning wikileaks... I'm suspect of anything connected to wikileaks at this point - anything is liable to be purposeful misinformation or slander, regardless of whether the information is pro- or anti-Assange.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
To me this all seems like classic COINTELPRO in action. The sexual smear campaigns, the attacks using former staff and now going on about his funding.

They're doing anything they can to try and discredit Assange but it's just showing the public how they operate and how petty the people that rule our countries really are.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259
To me this all seems like classic COINTELPRO in action. The sexual smear campaigns, the attacks using former staff and now going on about his funding.

They're doing anything they can to try and discredit Assange but it's just showing the public how they operate and how petty the people that rule our countries really are.

Or...

Assange is a meglomaniacal pervert with no morals or scruples...who has been out to make himself both rich and famous, the rest of the world be damned.

He may be getting framed and royally screwed...or, he is a bad actor...or, he has simply given in to the many temptations that have come with this enterprise of his.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

Absolutely! The timing is probably the best indicator that this story is BS. Why wait till now to come forward with this information? Why not bring this to the publics attention after the last batch of leaks? I think they are trying anything they can at this point to paint Wikileaks and Julian Assange in a bad light. The problem is this type of smear isn't over and it's only going to get worse if they don't achieve their main objective, and that is bring down Wikileaks and the people behind it, or make it so they have zero credibility left.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
anyone else smell damage control from the US and co?
dont trust them because of so and so

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
Assange is a meglomaniacal pervert with no morals or scruples...who has been out to make himself both rich and famous, the rest of the world be damned.

If that was the case he'd be no different than the people he's leaked about. Do you think Hilary Clinton or Kevin Rudd are any less megalomaniacal perverts with no moral or scruples?

I can't take this viewpoint seriously after the crimes and fraud of the Global Financial Crisis. Don't think for a second the powers that be are any different from the way they try to paint Assange. They just hide it better.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This makes perfect sense to me. Does anyone have any idea how much money the Chinese, Russians, Iranians, and even some supposedly "friendly" nations pay for bonafide classified U.S. information? Spies are paid tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for this kind of information regularly. Just look at the espionage cases.

And now we have a shadowy web-based clearinghouse for "anonymously" submitted classified information, compiling huge amounts of classified data?

Who is to say that some nation state didn't approach Assange and his associates with promises of huge amounts of money, and maybe even offers of asylum and immunity if they are prosecuted, in exchange for classified data? Or maybe even bribed them with large amounts of cash to NOT publish data on their own countries, and to provide data on the sources? Seems like a pretty obvious option to me........everyone has to plan for the future........even scumbags like Assange.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I was only pointing out that it is possible he is not the saint many people seem to think he is.

Maybe he is...or maybe not.

He, at the very least, has shown himself to be quite careless and cavalier.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
i do not believe a damn thing they say about him, they can say his mother was a smurf and his father was batman and 80% of this dumb azz population would believe it.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Interesting tidbit form the article about Mr. Young..

Young is a 74-year-old Manhattan-based architect who publishes a document-leaking website of his own called Cryptome.org that predates Wikileaks by over a decade. Cryptome famously posted online a review of security measures at the Democratic National Convention, it released documents that disclosed the names of alleged U.K. spies and it also published leaked internal documents about police requests inside Microsoft.

bold = mine

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
This makes perfect sense to me. Does anyone have any idea how much money the Chinese, Russians, Iranians, and even some supposedly "friendly" nations pay for bonafide classified U.S. information?

Yeah but they also have their own intelligence agencies and there are millions of personnel that would already have access to this information and more. I don't believe the USA has operational security good enough to protect classified information from foreign agents. Especially when any of them could enlist and do the same thing Manning did with little effort or cost.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
i do not believe a damn thing they say about him, they can say his mother was a smurf and his father was batman and 80% of this dumb azz population would believe it.

YET.....

That very same dumb a$$ public will either believe everything that's leaked as if it's the gospel truth if it paints the US in a bad light then turn right around and deny the contents of the leaks that does not paint the US in a bad light and runs contrary to internet pop-culture view of the US because Wiki is actually a CIA front.

So which is it Dumb a$$ public?

I wish them dumb A$$eS would get their story straight.

edit on 6-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A few leaks shouldnt change the opinion of the government but should rather change the opinion of the ppl. If they are upset then they should look no further than a mirror. The people are the power not the government. The government can do nothing against the people. The government NEEDS the people, the people only need to sit down united for 10 minutes to panic the so called leaders of the free world and show what patsys they really are.

All the money, magic and lies in the world cannot save the government from the people. So how is it people are so dependent on the government? LOL!!!! the mirror has the answer

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by DOADOA

YET.....

That very same dumb a$$ public will either believe everything that's leaked as if it's the gospel truth if it paints the US in a bad light then turn right around and deny the contents of the leaks that does not paint the US in a bad light and runs contrary to internet pop-culture view of the US because Wiki is actually a CIA front.

So which is it Dumb a$$ public?

I wish them dumb A$$eS would get their story straight.

edit on 6-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of Counter-Intelligence!

All warfare is based on deception. — Sun Tzu

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

So it's more of a vendetta against Wikileaks as opposed to actual problems with them. This guy is upset because his site is no longer in the spot light? So what better way to bring the attention back to your "credible" leak source? Make the opposing leak source look illegitimate!
I hope he doesn't have any skeletons in his closet, because I am sure after a statement like that they will most certainly be exposed if he does.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by fonenyc

Julian Assange

---Reflections

"Well, it only came up in the topic of raising $5 million the first year. That was the first red flag that I heard about. I thought that they were actually a public interest group up until then, but as soon as I heard that, I know that they were a criminal organization."

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It seems that there is more money involved n the organization than the small donations that sustain the paid staff. I think Assange has embraced capitalism and the free market when it comes to selling information and blackmail. I also believe that he assumes his encrypted cache will keep him safe and allow him to do what he wishes without consequence. This is a dangerous game for him. How will the guardian(s) of the code key know when to release it? Likely, it is set up so that if Assange doesn't check in every so often, the key will be released.

What if Assange is taken quietly and the information needed to keep things locked is extracted from him? He could officially be "in hiding" while the various intelligence agencies sweep up the keepers of the key and arrange for information to disappear. If Assange is perpetually "in hiding" while someone maintains contact, this could go on for quite a while providing time for intel agencies to put out the fire.

Who would get him? He is a walking vending machine worth untold cash. He will be a prime target for any number of governmental and freelance groups who also want to know if there is anything really salable in his intel jackpot. If freelancers get him first, and don't botch the job, he could be worth a great deal of money. He isn't worth anything if the information is released. It will be hard on him if he is grabbed.

Assange's biggest problem is that he is far too successful at his game.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
That would be great to introduce a "middle man" into the global stage and in effect act as a mediator. Wikileaks in effect becomes what countries must concentrate because real power is people. We all know these wars are to keep people in fear and reallocate tax money to the military which is then funneled in to private personal accounts overseas.

When you attack the credibility of a government, you are attacking with true weapons of mass destruction; the people. " A house divided cannot stand", imagine what happens to a government without people? It collapses, FACT!

The stupidity the "non-sheeple", or the arrogant sheep as I see them, say the majority, or the careless masses, refer too is "fear" and that fear exaggerates the true scope of government power to the point of omnipotent. I hear conspiracy theories that involve genocide, impossible then who will protect our leaders? Oh yeah Because the government can hire grey alien mercenaries, clone citizens and genetically engineer them plus oh yeah dont forget the NWO is the witch's cauldron.

Assange is a good thing, an opportunity for people to wrest power illegally wielded by elitists hiding in the guise of government. I wouldnt mind seeing some witch's burned at the stake. Until the stench reaches heaven and awakens a God that we are no longer sure exists due to the abuses of power we see in America.

Now tweet this, star it and flag it dammit cuz IM pissed

Originally posted by Pyros
This makes perfect sense to me. Does anyone have any idea how much money the Chinese, Russians, Iranians, and even some supposedly "friendly" nations pay for bonafide classified U.S. information? Spies are paid tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for this kind of information regularly. Just look at the espionage cases.

And now we have a shadowy web-based clearinghouse for "anonymously" submitted classified information, compiling huge amounts of classified data?

Who is to say that some nation state didn't approach Assange and his associates with promises of huge amounts of money, and maybe even offers of asylum and immunity if they are prosecuted, in exchange for classified data? Or maybe even bribed them with large amounts of cash to NOT publish data on their own countries, and to provide data on the sources? Seems like a pretty obvious option to me........everyone has to plan for the future........even scumbags like Assange.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join