It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange triangle inside Area 51.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This probably isn't very important, I just came across it, and find it very interesting.

It's located at 37.628036, -116.848060 on Google earth, inside area 51. Its quite large and perfectly drawn.

The measurement are exact, each side is 1.22 km, and the circle inside is 0.61 km in diameter, exactly half the side length. You can see this here:

i56.tinypic.com...

i53.tinypic.com...

It's not drawn on over the picture, there are features on it that clearly show its drawn into the landscape.
So what do you guys think it is?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
don't know what that is...but there are many weird things around area 51 ...west....craters, and large circles etc etc

good find

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Uhh.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

That's wierd and BIG..
Looks like perfect circles..
Target practice??

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I remember seeing this before.
Some people explained what it was, but I can't for the life of me remember...
Something about planes.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I have seen this triangle of area 51 in this two videos Video 1 and Video 2 and it shows more in detail of what you are talking about and I think it has something to do with illuminati

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Target practice.

You can find similar, if not the same, at and around other military air facilities.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

That's one thing that crossed my mind, but for what I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo000

Well it does remind me of some ritual symbol, the precision is amazing.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ok This is not inside Area 51 it is in Area 20 of the Nevada Test Site and it is right over by the Tonopah Test Range. It has been there for a while but I have no definate answer of what it is for. I think that maybe it was or is used for optical tests on cameras equiped on aircraft but that is just what I think.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by I B Dazzlin
Ok This is not inside Area 51 it is in Area 20 of the Nevada Test Site and it is right over by the Tonopah Test Range. It has been there for a while but I have no definate answer of what it is for. I think that maybe it was or is used for optical tests on cameras equiped on aircraft but that is just what I think.

That's a good reason..

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by I B Dazzlin

That's a good reason..

im satisfied with that hypothesis as well.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is one of several old bombing targets of this configuration. It is located in the vicinity of Tonopah Test Range. It is nowhere near Area 51 or Area 20. For some reason, people get very excited when they "discover" these targets on Google even though this area has been used as a bombing and gunnery range since the 1940s.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Just like how people keep discovering the same target airstrips, and then the green crop circles too. Hopefully in regards to those circles, those people will not be able to connect them to Area 51, operation Soylent Green and the Greys down in level 13.

edit on 6-12-2010 by firepilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Most of these targets are highlighted in the Google Earth "community." Of course the explanations are not always correct.

If you look at the old USGS maps, many of these targets are noted. The same goes for the NTTR map.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Correction the triangle is not in Area 20, I made an error when looking at Google Earth in coordination with the boundaries of the NTS and the Nellis Air Force Range. I agree that many people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to finding things on Google Earth, however the op did not make an outlandish accusation, he only inquired as to what others believed this to be. It is very possible that it could be an old bombing target but if it were then why are there no signs of it being used, such as craters or other signs of great disturbances on the surface of the ground. This has lead me to believe that it could have been possibley used for some kind of testing of optical equipment on aircrafts.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

NTS overlay

The link above should overlay a NTS map I digitized over the Google Earth imagery. It won't work for everyone, which I could explain why but it would take a few paragraphs of "inside baseball" regarding Google Earth.

Here is the link again without going through the normal forum procedure since you may need to cut and paste it. You can either paste it to your browser and hit enter or fire up Google Earth and then place the link in the "network link" tab found under add->network link. This easily shows the target is well off the NTS, as you stated, but with less work.

www.lazygranch.com...

Those craters are known as DMPI (pronounced dim-pee) = Designated Mean Point of Impact. If you monitor Red Flag, after the main air to air action is over, they have the "after hours party". OK, that is my designation. What they do is bomb the targets. Then there is the BDA (bomb damage assessment) where the pilot notes where he hit the target, destruction, etc. In theory everything on the range these days that has a person in it or basically shouldn't be terminated with extreme prejudice is white. However on google earth, this target kind of looks white, so who knows.

Somewhere I have a shot that might be related to that target being bombed. I was on a hill at the border of Site-4 and you could see a huge cloud of dirt beyond the next range. The BREN tower is also visible from this location on a clear day.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Yes that NTS overlay helped a ton!
Thank you for that. Very interesting about the DMPI, I had never heard that before. If that target was bombed though wouldn't it show signs of it? It looks as though the ground has not been disturbed by any such usage.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

Zoom in and pan around. You can see the small craters not on target.

I guess the target itself is rebuilt between sessions of Red Flag.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Ahaha I had not zoomed in enough to pick out the small craters. The center of the target could be rebuilt in between red flag sessions but the rest of the target i do not believe is rebuilt. As I scrolled through the time bar on Google Earth I noticed that from 2003-2006 the craters are in the same places and no more appear on the target or in the immediate vacinity. This can only lead me to believe that they do not rebuild the target and that possibley they don't even use that target any more.

new topics

top topics

join