It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should "Creationism" be considered a sign of insanity?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So let me get this straight...

The thought that humanity was created by a higher power - be it a force that human begins cannot sense, an omnipotent being/race of beings or extraterrestrials - should be classified as a mental disorder.

Yet the belief that there is no meaning to life, no higher purpose and total darkness for all eternity after you die is logical. Doctors prescribe all kinds of medication and label you mentally unstable for much less depressing states of mind. Are you sure YOU aren't the one that should be popping pills?

And then we'll cap it all off with the ultimate solution to every progressive's problems: we'll create government regulation to silence the voices of those that disagree.

I think we found out who the insane one is in this thread. We don't have to look any further than the OP.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
reply to post by Jobeycool

Can I ask you, assuming that you are in fact a Christian, whether you are of either a Catholic or an Orthodox church?

If not - and even to a considerably extent if you are catholic - then the teachings of your particular branch of christianity owe a great deal to the teachings of a german monk named Martin Luther. One of Martin Luther's major points was that you shouldn't be going around being good and kind - and not being bad - because it pleased God, but because it was THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

People regardless of faith are capable of doing the right thing, and knowing what the right thing is. Saying that you only do the right thing because otherwise you will go to hell makes you seem like an extremely shallow, empty and selfish person. Christianity, following the reformation brought about by Luther's 99 theses that he nailed to the church door (detailing only the most important things that he saw were wrong with the catholic church), is not supposed to be a form of Hedonism.

Point is, PEOPLE do good things, PEOPLE do bad things. People who excuse their bad deeds on christianity or evolution are BAD PEOPLE, as are people that need such a reason to do GOOD things.

This german monk who was a catholic and by the way Hitler grew up as a catholic did not read the fruits of the spirits in the bible.Nor did they read to love your enemies.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ChocoTaco369

I'm afraid you're not addressing the subject at hand. See, this subject has to do with creationism and evolution...Not about the afterlife or how depressed you would get knowing that there is no afterlife.

Why do some religious people always go off on a tangent like this?

Atheism itself does not entail of anything having to do with an afterlife, it is simply a lack of belief in gods or deities.
edit on 6-12-2010 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by Kailassa

Most people, (all Jews, Catholics and many other sects,) who have faith in Yahweh also accept the fact of evolution

Are you saying that these other people with faith in Yahweh don't believe that He had anything to do with creation? Really? And when you conducted this poll of ALL Jews, Catholics and many other sects, they stated that God didn't have anything to do with creation. It was just a happy circumstance that the first spark of life appeared out of thin air and then we evolved to the species that we are now to create our own God? They don't really believe in a God, then. He is just a myth they cling until questioned and faced with all the FACTS of evolution?

Did you bother to read what I believe about creation and evolution? I don't think so. You just got thru stating that ALL Jews etc. believe in the FACT of evolution. What fact of evolution? Oh, you mean all those transitional fossils and skeletons that have been discovered showing how we branched out and became so many different species? Yeah, speaking of straw men and all.

Believing in evolution and rejecting the concept of a deity are not intrinsically linked. A deity's role is primarily to do with the purpose (see OliveOil's post "a factual digression concerning...(etc) for more on purpose) of any event, while evolution - and all associated science - primarily focuses on the MECHANISM of any event.

The biggest issue involved comes when people start taking the bible out of context. It is a brilliant book taken in context - it holds moral messages, suggestions of the nature of existence, and most of all a great deal of information about how people have understood the world. Taken out of context it is the key to unlimited ignorance for many people.
edit on 6/12/2010 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by InertiaZero

Do not forget man is neearly capable of making life now by themselves, but oh no something could not have made all of creation, lol.

You are proving the case for evolution.

If scientists can decipher the mechanisms of evolution, that makes it possible for scientists to eventually reproduce those effects themselves.

Cloning a sheep, by the way, is nowhere near creating life, and no scientist claims it is.
It's just manipulating life to make it reproduce in a way that does not happen normally to that species.

One day scientists may understand abiogenesis well enough to reproduce that too, which, if the conditions under which it was produced could ever have occurred naturally, would be further proof that abiogenesis could happen by accident.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Why do I feel that you have missed my point?

He WAS a catholic, that started the Lutheran church from which were formed all the other (non-orthodox) churches. SImilarly, Jesus WAS a Jew. He also seems to have started the world's largest religion, which I can tell you is NOT JUDAISM.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Interesting videos OP. *sparkle*
I dont wish to argue but if you make creationism "illegal" or call it "insanity" then, by definition, any religion would also be deemed such as both require the element of "Faith" to sustain them. While creationism may be illogical, to confuse it with insanity is both foolish and dangerous. Every major religion has its creation stories which involves 3/4 of the population of the planet. To systematically call 3/4 of the planet insane would only alienate and strengthen the resolve of their position.

FAIL.

Most people belonging to these religions do not take their creation stories as literal truth, or teach their children they will go to hell if they look at scientific research with an open mind.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. In scientific terms the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Is gravity, or relativity any less credible because it has the word theory before it?

As for no missing links between man and ape ever being found, here is one that they found this year

Missing link between man and apes found

The big bang for a while used to be the mainly held belief in the scientific community, but it had the major flaw of there being the "what happened before the big bang?" question, the same problem mind you, with god. A lot more scientists now are researching into the possibilities of a new theory for the origin of the universe. There are about 6 iirc, I was watching a horizon documentary on it a while back. Amongst a few there was string theory which seems to be the most promising theory.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

I can actually see a remnant of evolution in the creation story in the bible. God did say "Let the sea bring forth life" and "Let the earth bring forth life". To me that means the earth and sea produced that life, and we have no clue how long that took. There is no time line mentioned.
As for the age of the earth: we have no idea exactly how long it's been here. You cannot just choose to ignore archaeology and scientific facts on carbon dating and neanderthals, mummified remains and evidence of human occupation that is 40,000 years old. That would be idiocy. I do know that between Gen. 1:1 and Gen. 1:2 there seems to be a HUGE gap of time. That is where I believe the answer is.

Since I don't think that even one person that has pressed an argument with me has read it, here is what I believe regarding creation and evolution: Like it or lump it.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I cnnot understand how evolutionist gets it in thier head when a christian as myself,thinks that we are very shallow and do not care about anything else except the bible being absoultely correct and anyone else is evil.I have an open mind that I could be wrong about anything.Attention skpetics some of us christians actualy do talk about the bible and wonder how much of it is accurate or just a myth or if Jesus was telling the Truth.We also doubt God might exist.Not these brainwashed idiots you paint us out to be.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

If that find were truly the fossil link that bridged the gap between man and ape, how come this story is from April and no updates followed? They were all talking "possibilities" and "if it is " and now: nothing. So, was it a fossil that bridged that gap, or did you just happen on this and post it with no follow-up? Where is the huge press conferences to let us know that evolution is finally a proven fact?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I believe in both (EVO/CRE). So, I must be really insane

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Don't ask!
edit on 12/6/10 by jennybee35 because: how the crap did that happen?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I tend to think anyone who uses the "Hitler was a..." is quite shallow and narrow minded. It's like someone coming up to me in the street and saying "Hey, you're a bloke. Hitler was a bloke! You're like Hitler! Kill him!!!"

It doesn't matter what someone's beliefs are, people who do that seem narrow minded to me (READ - It's not because you are christian that I think that what you are saying is narrow minded). But that's just my personal belief.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I get worked up over this subject.Guess it is because the evolutionist skpetics seem to gang up and make absurd comments and generalize all christians.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

I take it from this post and a previous one,
you would like the Bible-belt south to again
secede from the union.I know a lot of southerners
who would love another chance at yankee behind.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
ok
Here is the conclusion

With the exception of like 4 people...nobody in this thread actually read the OPs.

social experiment complete..the word was not used by pretty much all (congratulations to the very few that read and posted the keyword proving you read it.

So...with that in mind, I realize reading things is hard for most here...I will make a post with pictures..lovely pictures..that way you don't have to strain your brains or have an attention span greater than a fruitfly to get the point.

First off: Athiest Arrogance-
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5398c37f1f5.jpg[/atsimg]

Next: Danger of religion-
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/379087de1981.jpg[/atsimg]

Next: Religious tolerance-
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9f34fe74f40.jpg[/atsimg]
(the words - God With Us- Nazi belt buckle)

Comparison: Athiest propaganda verses Religious propaganda (which one = mental terrorism)
Religion:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/390873c7fdbe.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73c7ef6be340.jpg[/atsimg]
Athiest:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a39e26e796e4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a287e37168e6.jpg[/atsimg]

Religious people -should- believe anything, argument: we believe without proof:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6cd045820006.jpg[/atsimg]

Face it...if your reading this...you are lost..you will not change your view even when you know it to be false.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e100699150b.jpg[/atsimg]

As athiests, there is but a single core message we want to send to your children though...bypass the ignorant and =arrogant= insane parents and give only one core lesson:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ec142651d8b.jpg[/atsimg]

Enjoy...hopefully you lot were able to pay attention enough to the pretty pictures.

-sparkle-

link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Absolutely...except the south would go away thinking they've won and the rest of the states would be left without America's taliban. It's a win-win.

link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Obviously I am too. Even more so for believing that even one of these flaming atheists on here cared what I actually believed to be true. They would have to actually read and comprehend what I write for it to make a difference!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Those pictures only prove to me that thier is a real battle for people to believe in God or not believe in God.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join