It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unicorns In The Bible. That Makes Them Real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

No evidence? Are you sure?

www.bible.ca...
www.bible.ca...
www.bible.ca...
www.bible.ca...

www.dinosaursandman.com...

I would not say no evidence. Whether true or not is open for debate, but isn't that why we are here?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Any references to animals (mythical or real) in the various sacred texts don't necessarily refer to actual animals, but to the attributes of those animals. These references could be archetypical in nature; perhaps referring to individual personalities or the potential of individuals.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Then again, references to exotic animals in history could be completely true. However, since they use different names and terminology than we do it is ignored or considered mythological or a fable. I especially note this with the term "dragon". Dragons were, at one time, seen in written about all over the world. These dragons looked different in different areas, but all were reptilian in nature as are "dinosaurs". If all the "dinosaurs" died millions of years ago, and nothing else "dragon like" has been found whether alive or in the fossil record, how could humans know of such creatures?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

I came across the following image, and can find no source for it! If anyone knows who painted this picture or anything about it, please share your knowledge with us!

Its in the Palazzo Farnese in Rome ( which is now home to the French Embassy) It was most likely painted by Domenico Zampieri in 1604 or 1605. It is usually called "A Virgin with a Unicorn". Likely from the popular story that if a virgin sat in a forest a unicorn would lay its head in her lap.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by xiphias

Then again, references to exotic animals in history could be completely true. However, since they use different names and terminology than we do it is ignored or considered mythological or a fable. I especially note this with the term "dragon". Dragons were, at one time, seen in written about all over the world. These dragons looked different in different areas, but all were reptilian in nature as are "dinosaurs". If all the "dinosaurs" died millions of years ago, and nothing else "dragon like" has been found whether alive or in the fossil record, how could humans know of such creatures?

Consider that most, if not all mammals (including humans) have an instinctual fear of snakes and other reptilians. It would make sense, obviously; many reptiles being poisonous. Anybody who see's a snake, including a monkey or squirrel, is undoubtedly going to have some sort of emotional response to the sight, no matter how familiar or trusting they with/of to the animal.

This indicates that there could be some sort of hard-wired "memory" of such creatures in our DNA. It could even be that our "lower brain," the "primitive brain" or "reptilian brain," depending on how you look at it, is responsible for these "memories."

It's probably no coincidence that almost all ancient peoples, no matter where they were in the world, had some common mythology including dragons, and interestingly enough: unicorns. It's possible this same "memory" (you might even call it a "spiritual memory") manifests itself in our creativity (arts and sciences); whether it be hieroglyphics, cave paintings, mythology, astrology, sacred texts, or prophecies.

The concept of dragons and unicorns would almost seem to be universal in our species. Who knows? There could have been a time when our ancestors, before they were entirely human, may have shared the Earth with such exotic and seemingly mythological creatures; and they may have passed the memory of it down through their genes.
edit on 5-12-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

That doesn't work. Only rodent sized mammal existed at the times of the dinosaurs according to current Darwinian theory.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

You find me some evidence that isn't from a site that starts with www.bible.anything or that is found from a reputable museum (the Creation Museum FFS???) and I will consider it. I want data, not spin... And I HIGHLY doubt the authenticity of those supposed tracks...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A long time ago there were unicorns and all sorts of other strange beasties. It is because the gods could cross bread cretins in ways we cant imagin today...

kx

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Or the large creatures mentioned in the Bible are more likely the Giant Mammals that became extinct in the prehistoric era of man, such as the Wooly Mammoth, the Sabertooth Tiger, or the Giant Hornless Rhino. Link. The creators of the Bible could not have POSSIBLY ever seen a dinosaur, PERIOD!

then where did the Ishtar dragon come from?

www.s8int.com...

and how do we explain the near-global legends of dragons and/or large reptiles? in Europe, in Asia, even South America (kukulkan). makes more sense to think there WERE large reptiles, maybe actual dinos, in man's history.
caveat; fossils have always been around and may have been misinterpreted as extant animals. can you imagine the reaction of some stone-age dude finding a T-Rex skull? even if was a million years dead--after all, he'd have no way of dating it--he'd have freaked!
edit on 5-12-2010 by works4dhs because: add phrase

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Unfortunately there are no neutral parties in this debate. We have those worshiping darwin in the temple of evolution, and those worshiping various gods; though you seem most interested in debunking Christianity. Mainstream scientists will not accept other evidence because it demolishes the idols that are their precious theories. My biggest problem with evolution has always been "why did it stop"? Why aren't chimps coming down out of the forests and developing into hunter gatherer societies? Why are sharks, tortoises, and crocodiles unchanged after millions of years? Why aren't fish still crawling out of the oceans and learning to breathe air?

The only thing darwinism has shown me is more along the theory of "adaptation".

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

reply to post by xiphias

That doesn't work. Only rodent sized mammal existed at the times of the dinosaurs according to current Darwinian theory.

And what's to say we aren't descendant from rodent sized mammals? That's besides the point.

Consider that right now, there are dinosaurs living on the Earth. Crocodiles and alligators co-existed with the dinosaurs; and probably even some species of turtles; not to mention a plethora of sea-bound animals. Every animal alive has some link to pre-history; whether that history was 5000 years ago or 500 million years ago.

The point I'm trying to make is that our "awareness" of mythological creatures could actually be in our DNA, could manifest itself psychologically, and may be evolutionary in nature, regardless of what the time period is.
edit on 5-12-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Unfortunately there are no neutral parties in this debate. We have those worshiping darwin in the temple of evolution, and those worshiping various gods; though you seem most interested in debunking Christianity. Mainstream scientists will not accept other evidence because it demolishes the idols that are their precious theories. My biggest problem with evolution has always been "why did it stop"? Why aren't chimps coming down out of the forests and developing into hunter gatherer societies? Why are sharks, tortoises, and crocodiles unchanged after millions of years? Why aren't fish still crawling out of the oceans and learning to breathe air?

The only thing darwinism has shown me is more along the theory of "adaptation".

I think the response would be, it's too slow for us to observe.
I've read that labs have nuked fruit flies and created all sorts of fruit fly variants (two-headed, six-legged, red white blue that sing Yankee Doodle Dandy)...but ALL the mutations are bad; plus, they're all still fruit flies.
my biggest issue is the lack of transitional fossils; theoretically, almost all fossils should be 'transitional'.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
.but ALL the mutations are bad; plus, they're all still fruit flies.
Thus back to "adaptation", not evolution. In darwins tour of the Galapagos, he never showed one species changing into something else, only birds into different types of the same bird etc...

my biggest issue is the lack of transitional fossils; theoretically, almost all fossils should be 'transitional'.
There is also that, I can't believe I forgot to mention that.
edit on 5-12-2010 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
exactly why the bible is VERY inaccurate to the history of earth,.
It really makes me crazy when the Bible thumpers preach to me about the age of the earth being only 3000 years old.

It makes me crazy when Bible bashers attribute statements to Christians which are ludicrous. I've never heard a single Christian say the earth is only 3000 years old. That puts creation a few thousand years after most of the early Old Testament.
Well I have,.
In fact, I'd asked some members of a non-denom church once about the very topic and received the same general answer.
I'd asked a man I occasionally work with the same question and his answer was the same,.(this gentelman was in his late 50's)
And so I asked a woman I work with currently(very into god) and she had said the same thing,. all said about 3000 years old.
You have the right to your beliefs,. however bibles are not truths but stories of morality.

If churches are preaching this inaccuracy about age and history,. then of course there must be things like unicorns

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

exactly why the bible is VERY inaccurate to the history of earth,.
It really makes me crazy when the Bible thumpers preach to me about the age of the earth being only 3000 years old.

It makes me crazy when Bible bashers attribute statements to Christians which are ludicrous. I've never heard a single Christian say the earth is only 3000 years old. That puts creation a few thousand years after most of the early Old Testament.
Well I have,.
In fact, I'd asked some members of a non-denom church once about the very topic and received the same general answer.
I'd asked a man I occasionally work with the same question and his answer was the same,.(this gentelman was in his late 50's)
And so I asked a woman I work with currently(very into god) and she had said the same thing,. all said about 3000 years old.
You have the right to your beliefs,. however bibles are not truths but stories of morality.

If churches are preaching this inaccuracy about age and history,. then of course there must be things like unicorns

I've been in various churches for 30+ years and I have NEVER heard that number.
6,000 maybe, but not 3,000.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What about fossils? Ancient people probably found some fossils of dinosaurs. Could this be one of the sources of these tales about strange animals?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

well then the people in wisconsin are getting it from somewhere
I went on a quest to get this info and was surprised at what I was hearing.
In fact I called one church and asked a question about dinosaurs and how old they would be,.
the spokes person there stated she wasnt at liberty to discuss the topic due to LACK OF INFORMATIION,.
I asked for a time frame and I was told "about 3500 years or so"

I almost dropped the phone,.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
What about fossils? Ancient people probably found some fossils of dinosaurs. Could this be one of the sources of these tales about strange animals?
Ever dug up a fossil? I have. You know those big monstrosities you see in the museum? They are not found that way. The pieces are dog up over a fairly large site and then painstakingly assembled. Now, I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt that very many whole animal assembled fossils have ever been found just sitting there.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

reply to post by works4dhs

well then the people in wisconsin are getting it from somewhere
I went on a quest to get this info and was surprised at what I was hearing.
In fact I called one church and asked a question about dinosaurs and how old they would be,.
the spokes person there stated she wasnt at liberty to discuss the topic due to LACK OF INFORMATIION,.
I asked for a time frame and I was told "about 3500 years or so"

I almost dropped the phone,.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)
Phone number please? I would like to call them. Even better, just the name of the church and the city they are located in so that I can call them directly. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I checked those verses, my Bible does NOT mention the Unicorn

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join