It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unicorns In The Bible. That Makes Them Real?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I wanted to share a little tidbit of interesting information on one of my favorite creatures, the Unicorn. I personally believe they exsisted/still exsist somewhere. I love them so much I even have a unicorn tattoo! But as much as I have loved the unicorn over the years, I did not realize that Unicorns are mentioned Nine times in the Bible. Did YOU know the BIBLE mentions Unicorns NINE times? I am going to have to read this Book more often!

Dr Elizabeth Mitchell Agrees With My Suspicion....Unicorns Are Real!

Some people claim the Bible is a book of fairy tales because it mentions unicorns. However, the biblical unicorn was a real animal, not an imaginary creature. The Bible refers to the unicorn in the context of familiar animals, such as peacocks, lambs, lions, bullocks, goats, donkeys, horses, dogs, eagles, and calves (Job 39:9–12.1) In Job 38–41, God reminded Job of the characteristics of a variety of impressive animals He had created, showing Job that God was far above man in power and strength.2

Job had to be familiar with the animals on God’s list for the illustration to be effective. God points out in Job 39:9–12 that the unicorn, “whose strength is great,” is useless for agricultural work, refusing to serve man or “harrow (plow) the valley.” This visual aid gave Job a glimpse of God’s greatness. An imaginary fantasy animal would have defeated the purpose of God’s illustration.

Got your Bible handy?

1.In addition to Job 39:9–10, the unicorn is mentioned in Numbers 23:22, 24:8; Deuteronomy 33:17; Psalm 22:21, 29:6, 92:10; Isaiah 34:7.

Now, of course others pooh pooh the idea outright, claiming the translators got it wrong. (HUH?? I hope they didn't get anything ELSE wrong!!)

So, does the fact the Bible, the most popular and most read book on the planet, mentions the mighty Unicorn NINE times lend credence to the theory Unicorns are Real?

How about the fact the Scottish use the unicorn on their coat of arms? Does this, coupled with the Biblical evidence, make a stronger case for the realism of unicorns? At the Scottish link, there is a lot of unicorn history if interested.

So what say you?

Are Unicorns real?

And did you know they were mentioned in the Bible so much?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
according to ancient folklore, the Unicorn was a problem,.
It (by accident ) kept spearing animals and people and was considered
a nuisance,. so you can understand why this one was unanimously voted off the boat.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Just because they're mentioned in the Bible don't make them real. There is no fossil record of such a beast, and I would also point out that the Bible NEVER mentions dinosaurs, and we have PROOF they existed...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This is sort of richard dawkins argument.

The geezer never found out secret in his life.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I beg to differ. The Bible does mention Dinosaurs.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 2010/12/5 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think the unicorn of the bible was a rhinoceros. I mean, that is a powerful animal, worthy of mentioning.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Of course unicorns exist.The unicorn is a European artist's impression of a traveller's description of a one-horned animal which he saw charging at great speed across the plains of Africa-
known to modern science as a rhinoceros

edit on 5-12-2010 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Just because they're mentioned in the Bible don't make them real. There is no fossil record of such a beast, and I would also point out that the Bible NEVER mentions dinosaurs, and we have PROOF they existed...

Why do you say that? Job mentions the behemoth and the leviathan. The behemoth has a tail like a cedar tree and drinks up the river. It doesn't use the modern name of dinosaurs if that is what you meant.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Today must be my lucky day, a new thread in crypozoology.

Unicorns, always a tough sell, but I guess thats what make it a cryptid huh?

There will always be detractors on the issue of unicorn because of the lack of fossil record, but let me deny ignorance here for a second. Since we have no live unicorns to study, and presumably have never had one in the realm of modern science, how do we know what the horn was made of? Perhaps the horn was made of something other than bone, something that would have broken down with the rest of the flesh and sinew. We could have excavated dozens if not hundreds of unicorn fossils and remains, and never have realized it, because we are looking for the horn. If the horn broke down naturally, there would be no fossil record.

HBT: I thoroughly enjoyed this thread, and to be honest have never put much thought into the topic of unicorns. I guess I know what I will be doing today

edited:
Just reading the comparisons of the unicorn to the rhino, very plausible, but I'm not overly convinced
edit on 5-12-2010 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
a nuisance,. so you can understand why this one was unanimously voted off the boat.
Aww, poor Unicorn! I wonder if they simply could not be tamed. How sad! So you are hypothisythsing(good god I do not know how to spell this word) that the unicorn exsisted, yet was purposely eradicated from exsistance for being....a rotten brat?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Lancelot the living unicorn. There is a man who has made one, but the last one he made was back in the 70's. He did this by grafting the horn buts on the goat together to grow into one horn. He supposedly has a patient on this process, so no one else is allowed to do it, for some reason. He used angora goats and also had a secret way of feeding and keeping them so there was no smell to them and they remained very pretty and white.

www.sideshowworld.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Just to be clear about the unicorn - this translation exists in the King James Version and one would have to believe it has authority over the original Hebrew to accept unicorn as the correct translation. The word in the original Hebrew is is ראם or re’em.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Thus, all modern translations use "wild-ox" instead of Unicorn. I don't really care one way or the other, obviously animals can become extinct - but to rely, in this case, on the English translation can be a mistake.
edit on 2010/12/5 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

But here we have the reverse. The Bible mentions them, nine times, yet we have NO Proof they exist. We have no proof Jesus or Moses existed either, do we? Maybe the whole book is full of made up nonsense.

But I do not think just because we have failed to find fossil evidence should 100 percent negate their having once exsisted.

And like the other poster mentioned, dinosaurs HAVE been mentioned in the Bible and fossil evidence proved their existance.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

OMG!!! Now you are saying that man and dinosaur walked the earth together??? Did you go to school with Kent Hovind??? Did you also get a degree from this 'University'???

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89ebef58cdd7.jpg[/atsimg]

Job is believed to be a play, according to biblical scholars, and if it was real, it just proves that the God of the Old Testament is a sadistic BASTARD! Bibles should come with the following warning label!!!:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c11873609786.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Big Black Cats in Britain, Bigfoot, Mothman, Pterodactyls, Sea Serpents the list goes on and on. People report seeing them fairly often and usually with certainty. Same with elves, pixies, faeries and troglodytes. So I see no reason why a belief in Unicorns should be considered any differently.

It's been suggested that reality is multidimensional and that occasionally, somehow, a pathway is opened between co-existing realities.

I'm quite happy to say that somewhere an animal exists that matches the description of a traditional unicorn ie. a horse with a single horn, also that they may occasionally"leak" into our reality.

Also I don't consider my explanation to be any more preposterous than suggesting that some medieval Mr Magoo saw a rhino and thought it was a horse.

And even if you don't believe unicorns exist you've got to admit that they should. So we'll have to wait a few years for the geneticists to start blending but I'll bet we have permanent real unicorns before the end of the century even without inter dimensional pathways.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thoriumisbest
And even if you don't believe unicorns exist you've got to admit that they should.

Best quote of the day so far!
Even if something doesnt exist, lets all agree that it should!
HA!
GREAT
star here and flag for OP

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

But this begs the question, how can we trust the Bible if there are translation problems? I was always taught that even the translations were guided by the Hand of God Himself. (raised Catholic.) I agree that translation problem is one of the rebuttals, but it still remains up to the individual to make the final decision on belief.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Perhaps the horn was made of something other than bone, something that would have broken down with the rest of the flesh and sinew. We could have excavated dozens if not hundreds of unicorn fossils and remains, and never have realized it, because we are looking for the horn. If the horn broke down naturally, there would be no fossil record.

Maybe they just chopped of the horns like they do with rhinos in our days....
or like stealing the ivory from the elephants.....???

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Or the large creatures mentioned in the Bible are more likely the Giant Mammals that became extinct in the prehistoric era of man, such as the Wooly Mammoth, the Sabertooth Tiger, or the Giant Hornless Rhino. Link. The creators of the Bible could not have POSSIBLY ever seen a dinosaur, PERIOD!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Aww, poor Unicorn! I wonder if they simply could not be tamed. How sad! So you are hypothisythsing(good god I do not know how to spell this word) that the unicorn exsisted, yet was purposely eradicated from exsistance for being....a rotten brat?
Well,.
I will say that I am sure many things existed at one time and either naturally went extinct or were hunted to such an end.
A very large issue I have with the bible having any real credibility, is that, the bible also says dinosaurs were the version of what we have as animals today. When clearly we can see the fossils of them in museums and many archeological documentations all over the world. After all, the Bible was produced by accounts of only a few opinionated writers, with knowing that, embellishments at that time were easily believable due to the gullibility of the peoples and lack of ability to do research. we know today well and full,.. that priests lie..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join