It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks' 'insurance' file aimed at ensuring work goes on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

WikiLeaks' 'insurance' file aimed at ensuring work goes on

www.msnbc.msn.com

An encrypted cache of uncensored documents that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has circulated across the Internet may ensure that a huge array of secrets will be revealed even if the website is shut down or Assange is arrested.

Tens of thousands of supporters have downloaded the "insurance" file, which has been available since July, and it includes files on BP and Guantanamo Bay, The Sunday Times reported
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Wonder how this will be played out. Considering that the Insurance File contains information on the Oil Leak, which should hold some very critical information, and possibly prove, or clear up some things about the entire disaster.

And just recently Assange's PayPal account had been frozen.

So if Assange is taken in to custody that Insurance File Password is sure to be released to the public.

So keep an eye out.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. It seems some people know the contents of the file already.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This WikiLeaks thing is getting a little bit super spy and starting to read like a secret agent film script Is it correct to call this Insurance? Isn't it like black mail? or extortion? or could it possibility contain disinfo? I need to catch up on the subject o WikiLeaks but at least to me this is the ultimate in "teasing the audience".

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Interesting that they'd mention BP. The oil spill happened in April.

"Wikileaks began on Sunday November 28th publishing 251,287 leaked United States embassy cables, the largest set of confidential documents ever to be released into the public domain. The documents will give people around the world an unprecedented insight into US Government foreign activities.

The cables, which date from 1966 up until the end of February this year, contain confidential communications between 274 embassies in countries throughout the world and the State Department in Washington DC. 15,652 of the cables are classified Secret."

From Wikileaks cablegate. webcache.googleusercontent.com...
TExTFxQCdkJ:cablegate.__._/+wikileaks+february&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox- a

(I cached the page just to get this quote by the way.)

The link is kind of weird so just google Cablegate and then cache the page to read this on the wikileaks page if you are in disbelief haha.

edit on 12/5/2010 by spacekc929 because: weird link

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I don't think it's disinfo, he put alot of stuff in that insurance file and I bet it's not just individuals talking trash about others. It has damaging information. Some say that he could be a CIA or Mossad plant, I don't know. For a plant they are going nuts, usually if they do something like this it's controlled and not designed to effect the rest of the govt. apparatus. I can understand why it may look like it, he seems one step ahead of everyone. And it does seem like a spy thriller movie, I wouldn't be surprised if the don't make the next James Bond movie about some maniacal computer spy who blackmail govt. for money. And yes it is blackmail, but he's fighting dirty because they are fighting dirty with the rape allegations which where dropped and re-issued.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Over 6 billion brains in this world and no one can crack this file?

That is absurd, especially considering the fact that anyone can buy a super computer for a thousand dollars these days.

Super computers have immense processing power which would give crackers the ability to unlock these files in faster and new non-conventional methods.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Define a super-computer. I can assure you that putting 1k into a pc will not assure you the chance to crack that encryption. As for the billions of smart minds my theory is this: Those whom are intelligent enough to have successfully cracked the password for the file are also those intelligent enough to keep the information to themselves until it is needed. If someone truely supports Julian Assange they wouldn't play his trumph card for him.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
reply to post by oozyism

Define a super-computer. I can assure you that putting 1k into a pc will not assure you the chance to crack that encryption. As for the billions of smart minds my theory is this: Those whom are intelligent enough to have successfully cracked the password for the file are also those intelligent enough to keep the information to themselves until it is needed. If someone truely supports Julian Assange they wouldn't play his trumph card for him.

The folks at Russian firm ElcomSoft are making headlines this week by releasing one of their brute force password cracking tools that uses nVidia graphic processing units to boost performance by 25 times.

The above is old news, now it is even faster.
Graphics card supercomputers render passwords pointless

A team of researchers at Georgia Tech Research Institute is investigating whether passwords are now worthless, given the supercomputer-like performance now available to hackers using standard desktop graphics cards.

I don't think a cracker would crack the file and then leave it unpublished.

Crackers usually love fame, they honestly do, they will get all the credits for it and will spread it through out the internet.

edit on 5-12-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

If someone truely supports Julian Assange they wouldn't play his trumph card for him.

You forgot a factor into your equation:

$$$Cold Hard Cash$$$

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I was under the impression that "supercomputers" brought the cracking time needed down from a few gazillion years to a few hundred years?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The insurance file is encrypted with AES, which allows 256 bit keys

AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (1018) AES keys per second would in theory require about 3×10 to the power of 51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space

Thats a LOT of years. There are also no known "breaks" for AES

wiki

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Truecrypt.com: Yes there is still software out there that will resist even Brute Force. Not even your 'super com-puder' would be able to break this code without extreme luck.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You know whats great about these leaks?
The fact that this stuff isnt written by anyone person, so the claim that its all nothing more than speculation from a paranoid conspiracy nut holds ZERO water.

Whats funny though is even when damning information is released, the government and news, puts the focus on the terrible person that leaked this info and successfully shifting the ADD affected Americans attention away from whats actually in the memo/docs.

Whatever became of the Apache pilot/gunner that bragged about opening fire on a group of Iraqis, killing a journalist with an 18 in long RPG, or was it a telephoto lens?
Or the Afghan war diaries?
Nothing happened because we ALWAYS get something in the news that may not be more important but the focus that the news puts on it, puts those kinds of stories on the backburner of Americans who have the attention span of a bird.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

one cannot use blackmail to save their own life. he is looking for nothing in return but justice and honor..blackmail is the absolute most ignorant statement i've heard thus far on wikileaks..it is insurance.you know so they don't go shooting him the head kinda thing. blackmail is the usage of information or such to extort money so as not to discredit someone..wikileaks is not saying give me a trillion dollars or i'll tell everyone about you..he is saying..arrest me,shoot me whatever to me and i'll release these documents.big difference.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
reply to post by oozyism

Truecrypt.com: Yes there is still software out there that will resist even Brute Force. Not even your 'super com-puder' would be able to break this code without extreme luck.

I said non-conventional methods.

I think that you think that the world is as ignorant as you when it comes to cracking codes.

You are right though, brute force can crack it within seconds considering luck, or it could take years.

The above being said, I was not talking about brute force.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I fail to see the correlation between a graphical processor and the capability of solving mathematical equations quicker. Something that is built to render graphical output doesn't change anything in how quickly your computer can try a 256 character password in as many ways as possible using every computer character known in existence. That comparative to the size of your hard drive mattering how quickly your computer responds to work, when in fact the real cause of speed in any computer is RAM allocation. Graphical processors have nothing to do with the kind of work that comes with brute-ing a password.

In fact it would make most sense to use a server to make computations like that. Graphical output should be at a minimal as to not whore your RAM while your computer is running possible passwords. For an example:

An AMD Opteron Hexacore (Yes they exist) Processor on it's standard motherboard, with only on-board (built in) graphical output, would run computing circles around Nvidia's top of the line studio cards at making the same computations.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Watch yourself if you want to download this, one of the comments from the torrent file on Pirate Bay:

i have peerguardian running, and within a couple seconds of opening this torrent this popped up:

"14.39.169.21:64507 tcp4 'Transmission (10459)' (DoD Network Information Center: P2P)
Tue Dec 7 2010 03:24:10.193 PST -Blck- local:59869 -> 14.136.10.239:51413 tcp4 'Transmission (10459)' (DoD Network Information Center: P2P)"

The DoD Network Information Center is watching you. Use TOR and proxies to stay relatively out of sight.
edit on 7-12-2010 by pforkp because: put spaces to remove emoticons

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Let the DoD watch, there are so many people that have downloaded this file now that it would be damned near impossible to hunt each and every one of them down and question them or anything. As for the moment they only thing that anyone that's downloaded this file has done is downloaded 1.3 GBs of unknown information. Let them watch long enough, I might do a trick.

top topics

join