It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job application questions? I cannot believe they are ok to ask!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Here are some application questions that I was surprised to see

The first is:

“Are you now or have you ever been a member of any organization, association, movement, or group of persons which advocate the overthrow of our constitutional form of government, or which has adopted the policy of advocation or approving the commission of acts of force or violence to deny other persons there rights under the constitution of the United States or seeks to alter the form of government of the United States by unconstitutional means”

Then the next question is:

“Are you now associating with, or have you ever associated with any individuals, including relatives who you know or have reason to believe are or have been members of any of the organizations identified above?” If so, please provide he Name, Phone, Address and relationship of each person.

I have to say that I was pretty shocked to see that on an application. The second one is the kicker, they wanted you to list the Name, Phone, Address and relationship of the people if you answered yes. WOW!

edit on 12/5/10 by xyankee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

The important thing about these questions is, if they can't find out then you're technically not lying. Sounds to me like those are from an application to be a Law Enforcement Officer or of the like. But if those are from a private business then... Well, I wouldn't know quite what to make of that...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Looks like a CIA application.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The last time I needed a secretary I had trouble finding one that knew who the vice president was let alone that.

But I did find a great girl who loved 'Dom Deluise' champagne!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

I'm guessing it's an application for Drive-thru at McDonalds..

But seriously, apart from law enforcement or a Government job, I'd find it hard to justify those questions..
And really, are you supposed to know ALL your relatives associate with??

Hell, I don't know where my wife goes for lunch..

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I was looking for a family mediator recently. This was with a non-profit "Family" mediation service. The questions on their form had little to do with anything but very invasive "Are you patriotic" type questions.
Disgraceful.

Oh, right....if I don't like things the way they are I am obviously a terrorist or unpatriotic.

Ask yourself: Are these questions that are legal to ask? If you feel a little bit weird, chances are they are not. Do the research. If they are not legal questions it's likely that they are being asked for some other reason.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
But I did find a great girl who loved 'Dom Deluise' champagne!

Now there's a classy lady!
2nd because I have to.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
That was just a couple of the questions I had to answer. There were ones that started in on my marriage, ones that asked for the name, address, phone, and occupation of every brother, sister, brother & sister-inlaws. I don’t mind answering them because I have nothing to hide but it is some serious personal info.
edit on 12/5/10 by xyankee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
so does that mean if you have ever worked for the government or had a family member work for the government you can't get the job?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Having nothing to hide should not be an excuse to ask you questions like that.... What does info like that have to do with a job?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

I don’t think that is what they are asking

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I think it is kind of a background check. I do know that I will have to back them up with a polygraph test.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Blacklist.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

Yes, they're legal. However, here's a wrench to throw into your gears... What if they're someone who's not a big fan of the US and wants you to say you have been part of a group? Who wants you to demonstrate you don't think as their perception of the "group" thinks? Cleverly disguised as questions seeming to question your patriotism, they are actually there to encourage a different reaction?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Questions like that are usually found on job applications where the job comes with a certain level of authority like a cop for instance. These questions are used to weed out any individuals who may use their influence or authority of the position to further their own ideological causes. The same goes for any family members.
For the most part the people that answer yes to those questions already to some extent know that the groups they are a part of may cause them to not get the job.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

That is an interesting thought but I think one would be taking a big chance of having some problems. Not only with getting the job, but everything. I will be honest I don’t know if it was such a good deal to even bring it up here. They may even have all my posts with a probing back ground check.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
reply to post by TKDRL

I think it is kind of a background check. I do know that I will have to back them up with a polygraph test.

Definitely sounds like security clearance type employment.

The strangest I've seen lately (in higher education employment) is "Are you willing to support, and act as an advocate for social justice"

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

reply to post by junglejake

That is an interesting thought but I think one would be taking a big chance of having some problems. Not only with getting the job, but everything. I will be honest I don’t know if it was such a good deal to even bring it up here. They may even have all my posts with a probing back ground check.

Unless you were applying for a Federal government position or have answered that you frequent this site, then no one's going to care about what you may or may not do on this site since you may or may not actually be on here.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Wow! What kind of job were you applying for?
Those questions seem a little out of line (depending on the job...maybe), and quite intrusive.
I hope this isn't a precursor to something bigger coming...
like having these questions on ALL job applications, under the pretense that it's for "national security"...
"We need to make sure you're not going to revolt on the job!", "We need to make sure you're not associating with any known (or yet to be cia-trained) terrorists!"
Or just another way to start gathering info on every citizen, any way they can.
The way things are going now, I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

They may even have all my posts with a probing back ground check.

Unless your first and last name spell out xyankee, I doubt it
Or if the email address you gave them was [email protected] or something. Even then, there could just be suspicion. If you're going for high government clearance, then maybe -- I have no clue what tools they have at their disposal. However, the internet is still pretty anonymous. If they were going to look into postings and blogs and the like, you would have to give them something to go on.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join