It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would legalizing all drugs end all the murders and crimes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
One thing I can't stand is the Drug War in Mexico and the crimes around the world associated with Drugs! I hate it with every cell in my body! I was reading an article with Portgual legalized or decriminalized all personalized drugs. will that work for America? I can't see me, my parents and many others supporting people having hardcore drugs legally and then killing someone because they were high. What do you guys think? Click on "Portugal" for the article.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well,it could lessen the problem, but a lot of people turn into paranoid maniacs on coc aine and heroine, and meth. They would also still have to steal money as the drugs still wouldn't be free.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

That's what I keep saying! There are many pot addicts online who think all drugs don't do any wrong to people. I can't stand it!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Not all, but it would free up a hell of a lot of prison cells

It would cut the money supply of many criminals..
It would stop a lot of corruption in the police force etc..

What it wouldn't do is increase the number of drug users..
That seems to be the case in other countries..

It would be a financial bonanza with taxes and decreased spending in enforcement and prisons..

But it might be the end of financing for the CIA....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

If you put it that way then where do I vote?
Hahaha. Joking aside we need to clean up the mess. We need change! OBAMA!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well in my experience as a police officer, I've never had a problem with people who were smoking weed. the most problems by a wide margin are caused by alcohol.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
Well in my experience as a police officer, I've never had a problem with people who were smoking weed. the most problems by a wide margin are caused by alcohol.

agreed, seems that's always the case.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think it would help a lot. People who want to get clean (off hard drugs like heroin, alcohol, coc aine etc) will do so in their own time and not have to take up jail space needlessly. Those who don't want to get clean will die off, which is their choice and a fact of natural selection.

Jail those whom commit crimes to get the drugs, not for using them. Offer more community treatment in places where drug use is high. If the opportunity for help is there, those that want it will seek it in their own time. You can't force an addict to get clean if he doesn't want to...unless you incarcerate them, and even that doesn't always work.

Though- there are drugs that are very dangerous to make- crystal meth-amphetamine, for one. The people whom make that stuff should not be allowed to do so as they could blow up half their neighborhood. No crime for just use though, in my opinion.
edit on 4-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I think drug possession should be legal. If I have weed in my pocket why am I fined or have to go to jail?

I do have a problem with pot heads going on an on about how weed is good and has no bad side effects. Which it does, believe me I know.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502

Isn't that the truth !!!!!!
Most drugies just sleep it off in a corner with a smile on their face, although a small few do turn violent on certain drugs..

But drinking???
Way to many drunk thugs out there..I had to take my son to the hospital after getting his face slashed by a drunk..
I was amazed how many other similar cases were in that one little hospital..
It's sure changed since I was young..

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not to be a downer but, I'm pretty sure this thread is against the ATS TOS... As I created a thread similar with not this exact heading, but close. " Would sticky green leafy legali*ation end world hunger?" ... J/W

edit on 4-12-2010 by TSAisaSCAM because: double is

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Prohibition causes crime and violence, it doesn't solve it. Anyone can figure that out by looking at history.

I think you can talk about prohibition generally here, but specific talk of illegal narcotics is against the t&c - though I'm no expert on the rules.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think all drugs should be legal and believe the taboo of doing something illegal actually draws certain personalities to drugs. If someone's use gets out of hand there is rehab as an option. Sending someone to jail for simple possession is wasteful every way you look at it.

As far as making meth is concerned, having a boot leg chemistry lab in one's home/trailer is a bad idea and those making it usually are not trained chemist so accidents do happen and are endangering everyone near them, that is a crime.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I don't see how it would.

I don't smoke, but if I did smoke, I could easily buy cigarettes illegally, without any tax, if I wanted to; The same with alcohol.

I don't see how decriminalising any substance will stop ''drug-lords'' murdering, or stop property crimes connected with drug addiction.

edit on 4-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Legalize it and then maybe we can afford to jail everyone who steals, murders, etc. for it.

At least then we would be putting them in jail for a legitimate crime.

IMHO

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Why is this illegal at all? So long as people are not selling to minors or is harming anyone else than I don’t see why it is illegal.

I believe it is a subsidy to the CIA which can then sell the drugs at a higher market price along with a subsidy to the prison systems as more and more people are locked into prison raising the prison’s revenue. The United States has the highest prison incarceration rate in the world and I believe probably 20-30% of the prison population is in prison for drug crimes.

So us tax payers pay more in taxes to keep these innocent people in prison, we pay to bail out the prison systems, the CIA keeps it illegal to maintain a monopoly, and all the while our civil liberties are being blatantly violated.

Down with the War on Drugs!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
I think you can talk about prohibition generally here, but specific talk of illegal narcotics is against the t&c - though I'm no expert on the rules.

I think you're right.

It's just talk surrounding personally taking an illicit substance that is not permitted.

link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Secrecy. Most of the violence is over deals gone bad, and lack of secrecy.

link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Most of the people in your county jails are there because they USE a drug. That is what they are there for. Look at the statistics.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by ANOMALY502

That's what I keep saying! There are many pot addicts online who think all drugs don't do any wrong to people. I can't stand it!

Ok, first of all, Pot is a whole different thing than coke and meth and prescription drugs that are so regularly abused by housewives and highschoolers. It is not chemically addictive and has been used for thousands of years by various cultures as medicinal, mind opening, and side effect free pain reliever.
Anyone who lumps in pot with all of the other "drugs" has obviously never done much research.
Legalizing pot however would, I believe, diminish the dependence many have on legal, gov't endorsed pain relievers, which they take because they are legal when they, in almost all cases, would be better off with consumption of pot (either by vapourizer, or distilled into oil caps, to bypass the understood effects on the lungs from any type of smoking). Keep in mind, pot was legal in most countries till the turn of the 1900's, and commonly cultivated by many many farmers, including at least one of the founding fathers of the USA.
Legalizing of the others, atleast in North America would be a disaster. People on this side of the pond lack something that alot of our euro brethren don't. That is the ability to moderate consumption. We are I believe one of the most gluttonous societies the world has ever seen. If all drugs, produced by all methods were legalized, it would be our destruction. Pot on the other hand, would be better by far in a legalized state than the alcohol poison which is so commonly abused in its stead.

My 2 cents

HPSidecar

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join