It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WikiWeek that was: What we've learnt so far

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The WikiWeek that was: What we've learnt so far

www.independent.co.uk

Israel has come out of the massive documents dump so clean that some just can't help but sniff conspiracy in the air. Turkey suggested that Israel was itself behind the leaks that have left several world leaders reeling.

"One should analyse why this happened, who did it and why, who is benefitting and who is being harmed," said Turkish Interior Minister Besir Atalay. "It seems to us that the country which... is not mentioned much, especially in the Middle East...
is Israel."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Israel: Using WikiLeaks to Build a Straw Man
The US Empire Targets Iran

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.consortiumnews.com
edit on 12/4/2010 by Unilluminist because: typo

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is an interesting take on wiki leaks and seems to make the most sense to me, most of the other stuff in Wikileaks that doesn't concern Iran is mostly trivial and hasn't amounted to much.

I'm pretty sure Wikileaks wouldn't knowingly be in on it, the US Government probably leaked stuff to them on purpose. Wikileaks hopefully should learn from this to really look at who benefits from releasing this stuff.

This leak gives added credibilty for an attack on Iran as these other 2 articles go over, because Israel and the US won't be seen as the ones wanting it or calling for it, they can just say we are helping the Muslims against Iran. This also lets Israel ignore the Palestinian issue because the Arab countries are forgetting about it and only concentrating their fears against Iran, which they want Israel and the US to take care of for them.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Unilluminist

Israel has come out of the massive documents dump so clean that some just can't help but sniff conspiracy in the air. Turkey suggested that Israel was itself behind the leaks that have left several world leaders reeling.

I will reserve my final judgement on Wikileaks until we know what's in those insurance files!

Only around 300 cables is out, so how do they know that there aren't any juicy parts on Israel this early? have they seen everything already? including the insurance files?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I agree. There's only about 300 cables out from 250 000 +. That's not even 1 percent - no one should draw too much conclusions when there's only ~0.012% cables posted. What we see now is just a top of the iceberg.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by archasama

I agree. There's only about 300 cables out from 250 000 +. That's not even 1 percent - no one should draw too much conclusions when there's only ~0.012% cables posted. What we see now is just a top of the iceberg.

So is Wikileak just posting every other country and saving the best for last?

The agenda is pretty clear regarding these leaks, I have been saying it for a long time, and now world leaders are coming out and joining me

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Good point, but the main stuff should be first, at least a bit of it anyway like a Newspaper headline has the main story on it. This gets me worried that there isn't anything really that will come out regarding Israel.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
That's what I have been saying all along. You have to see who is benefitting the most and then question why that is. Of course it could be that we have all been wrong thus far and everything is just how TPTB says it is, but then you would also have to consider how easily this could be a disinformation operation, whether intentionally or unintentionally on the part of Assange.

These leaks seem to only confirm what we are being told and in my opinion, are only hurting the cause for truth, as many believe the information to be genuine. If it is a disinfo operation (and I have pretty much lost all doubt to the it isn't), then mission accomplished, as it is fooling many, even people who claim to be awake.

--airspoon

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Exactly, this was to benefit Israel. Maybe they went so far as to steal and leak the stuff to Wikileaks themselves as some leaders suggested, they certainly have more capability to do this then anyone else.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Unfortunatley it looks like you are right. The other bad thing in addition to the disinfo helping justify war against Iran is that it Wikileaks is seen as the outlet to leak stuff to with all this publicity they get. This makes it less likely that other genuine journalists will get any good stuff leaked to them, because people will assume it is best to go to wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unilluminist

Good point, but the main stuff should be first, at least a bit of it anyway like a Newspaper headline has the main story on it. This gets me worried that there isn't anything really that will come out regarding Israel.

Well, I am not waiting for any leaks about them especially - but people seems to rush into conclusion too early when so little has actually been released.

I agree with you on the headline stuff, they should throw us a bone or two!

But I don't think they ever planned to release the juicy stuff first, perhaps they want to take this in escalating stages to make it more exciting?

They'd better hurry up before most people think it's beginning to be boring though

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

We'll see, I'm not holding out hope though.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unilluminist

The main stuff SHOULD be first shouldn't it. But I wonder how much staff wiki leaks has to go through each document / cable to see if its worth releasing or checking it to see if its original etc.

How long would it take you or a small group of people to read/sift through 250,000 pages? Sure as hell would take me over a year.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If Wikileaks has revealed anything it is that the US Intelligence community will classify information at the highest possible level for no obvious reason. 379,565 of the Iraq documents were classified as “secret” and therefore believed to cause “serious damage” to national security if released but even released in bulk, as far as I can tell this “secret” information did virtually no damage. That points to an intentional release or a conspiracy more than anything else that I have read. I’m not going to jump to any conclusions, though.

On the Israel issue, how much dirt do you think the US has on them? Just because nothing significant has come out in the first “drip” of this leak it doesn’t mean that there is nothing there. The "best" documents should definitely not be released first. Wikileaks has always wanted maximum impact for everything that they release and these cables cover an extremely wide range of issues. They must be released gradually so that everything can be properly absorbed and get the necessary air-time, the juicier documents released even more gradually so as to maintain interest.

Be patient! You can scream conspiracy all you like once you have seen everything.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It seems to me that the leaked documents would make it harder for the US to go to war against Iran. What we're hearing is that other countries want us to go to war with Iran. I think it would be a tougher sell to the American people on the idea that we should go to war with Iran just because other countries in the Middle East want us to. It brings up the easy argument: if they see Iran as a problem, let them take care of it, not us.

As for the lack of info on Israel, that doesn't surprise me much. These are diplomatic communications. I would think that anyone who speaks ill of Israel wouldn't last long in a diplomatic post. You can't even hold a job in the MSM if you say the word "zionist".

That's just my take on it, anyway. I could very easily be wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

As for the lack of info on Israel, that doesn't surprise me much. These are diplomatic communications. I would think that anyone who speaks ill of Israel wouldn't last long in a diplomatic post. You can't even hold a job in the MSM if you say the word "zionist".

B I N G O ! You get 1st prize.

No truer words have been said.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think that the one thing that we have learned from wikileaks this week is the there is definitely someone who really really doesn't want us to read any more of the wikileaks.
If anything the reaction from the government has been more interesting then the leaks

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
IMO, this is 100% disinfo. It stinks to high heaven.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I am interested and perplexed at the way wikileaks releases their docs. I do however prefer the info released with as little editorial comment as possible, especially after the "Collateral Murder" release. Everything from the titling of it to the commentary in video was biased against the US military. Yes that was a tragedy for the families of the two reporters and for the kids in the van but their were either weapons or what appeared to be weapons ( I clearly saw an rpg and a couple of ak amongst the people first engaged) the van shoot is a little more murky but it's a warzone and I give the benefit of the doubt to those actually with their ass on the line.

I do wonder about these most recent releases. The pace is a dribble compared to the Iraq or Afghan war logs. Their are definitely agendas at play and I don't know whose. I do agree that so far there is zero mention of Israel and is intriguing itself.

It's also interesting that as soon as Assange mentioned he had some Enron type dirt on at least one American bank the rhetoric against him increased a lot. I can't wait for whatever is coming about any financial corruption.

Regardless of how I feel about "Collateral Murder" and its editorial slant, wikileaks is one of the few places that is actually practicing journalism. If the MSM were not so wholly owned by the same interests that own Western governments wikileaks would have no market because there would still be mainstream journalists who could shine some light on the darker corners of governments and businesses with some real investigative journalism.

top topics

join