It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Experiment..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have often disagreed with people either in real life, or on ATS about what one would do in a certain situation. The truth of the matter is that we (meaning humans), can change on a dime and turn into someone that they have deplored given a certain set of circumstances.

But in my lifetime I have seen it time and time again, both men and women have the ability to adapt and change, even throwing their morals and beliefs out the window.

I watched this movie without even knowing the premise for the movie and was stunned at how well the two main actors captured the truth of this powerful message.

Forest Whitaker and Adrien Brody do an excellent job at this. Now in the comments on some of the reviews that I read while making this thread mention that it isn't truthful as they don't think that people can change as fast as is done in this movie.

This is a total fallacy as I have seen it happen in a heartbeat time and time again.

So the plot is as follows:

The Experiment 2010 Trailer Paul Scheuring drama thriller A psychodrama based on the true story of a group of scientists who organized 20 people to carry out a psychological experiment.

Now they take around 20 men and for 14 days they are to be placed in a prison setting with some of them being prisoners and some the guards. They are paid 1000 dollars a day for this experiment and there are a set of rules that must be followed.

I can honestly say that this movie gives a very powerful message. One that should never be ignored, and is shown at it's worst in this movie.

I give it an 8 out of 10 for the movie and 10 out of 10 for the message that it gives. I also don't give many reviews of movies as I usually just enjoy them or think of them as meh but this one deserves a watch to see how we are not that far removed from the law of the jungle as we would like to think.

I hope that you give it a watch and then think about what you have just seen.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I haven't heard much (= anything) about the movie, but is it about the Stanford Prison Study? (P. Zimbardo organised participants into prisoners and guards and they all rapidly started behaving as though they were REAL criminals in detention centres and (some) REAL sociopaths lording it over the emasculated prisoners)/

If it is, it's definitely going on my to watch list. Zimbardo makes social psychology so much more interesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Yes, twas an excellent film! There are a few older versions of this theme also worth a look, but this one was done really well. It shows how each of us harbor various emotions and survival instincts unfamiliar to us unless experienced as a result of some trying situation, and this situation was "trying," to say the least!
Here's a link to watch it(not recommending downloading)

Movie

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

Yes, it is indeed about the Stanford experiment. I forgot to mention that it is loosely based on this true story.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You gave the plot but I didnt get the plot at all - but given what you said it sounds like that experiment where that nasty old woman treats people differently based on eye colour, and treats one set as privileged and one set as worthless and after a while the worthless come to accept their underclass status and the privileged start to treat the underclass as inferior without even realising it? Except here, some are guards and some are prisoners?

heh didnt work when she did it in the UK, they all told her to sod off, but in the US she was effective.

Is that close?

If it is, what!!! They made a movie out of it?

If not... tis saturday morning for golly goodness sake - hungover and hungry. I cant think that good

-- Tribewilder, that sounds exactly the same except they differ only in cause. Ha... How many times can this separate and discriminate experiment be done !

Interesting, I had not heard of that one. !

edit on 3/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Not that this is entirely about the movie (which I haven't seen yet) but I have worked as a Correctional Officer for the Colorado Department of Corrections for a year and have recently works as a Clinical Therapist at the Colorado State Mental Health Institute of Pueblo and the psychology involved with incarceration is mind boggling.

I never saw the previews for this movie but I definitely want to see it!

The psychology of both prison guards and inmates in the correction system (more specifically personality traits) are almost identical. It really is a cat and mouse game that I refused to belittle myself to play when I was a Corrections Officer (which is why I quit and got a job elsewhere). There is so much pride, ego, and power tripping involved on both inmate and officer roles its amazing prison systems function at all.

Ultimately though I would bet on inmates over officers because ultimately as they have the least to lose. A man with nothing to lose is capable of so much more than any other man.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I haven't seen this yet, but it definitely looks like a damn well made & interesting movie. I can't say I have ever heard of the Stanford Experiment or the movie, but I'm about to get a little familiar with it.Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I loved this movie

join