It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec. 03 CNN poll shows 86% believe life exists on other planets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9c6c00f40dd.png[/atsimg]

www.cnn.com...

No this is not a poll from a Conspiracy Theorist website this is the MSM network CNN. So is the message about extraterrestrial life spreading? If not how do you interpret this poll? In my opinion I find it stunning and quite amazing that so many people believe in extraterrestrial life. Just a few years ago you were labeled a lunatic for believing that now 166,892 on a CNN poll of 195,175 people believe this.

However the question was not if you believe in intelligent life but rather just simply life in general.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

well the other 14% aren't very good with math.....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I am one of those 86%!
I am proud to believe there is alien life out there.
We are not alone!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This just confirms what I already know, most people believe or want to believe in ETs and conspiracy theories. I hear people on here complaining about how the believers are the minority in society all the time. That complaint is so far from the truth.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by Misoir

The other 14% are Creationist Fundies...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Yep, that is cool. But probably not entirely accurate. Cnn polls are not official polls by any means. Plus keep in mind the type of people who usually visit cnn.

An accurate poll gets a large sample from people pulled at random from all over the country. Find a poll like that. An official poll and I will be more excited.

For what it is worth though, I do believe in aliens.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You think we are alone well, We are not alone. The University of Edinburgh has released it's latest findings about life on other planets. What they found is there are as many as 38000 planets that have the ability to maintain life. and I got the video to show you this results Link...WE ARE NOT ALONE PEOPLE!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Given the HUGE size of the universe, it would be statistically ridiculous to assume we're the only ones.

I'll let Neil Degrasse Tyson summarize me opinion

(Good bit starts 1min50sec into the video...)

Also, for those who think we humans are "so special" and everything is "made for us"...think again:

edit on 3-12-2010 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Yes it is clearly not scientific but CNN is an MSM news outlet so it would not be too far from the actual numbers. I mean 86% might be rather high but I doubt this poll would be more than 20% off the true number.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Chalk me up as a 86%er

Looks like closed mindedness may be coming to a close

Neil Degrasse Tyson is Sinbad the Comedian of the scientific community, he is a likable guy but seems to want to appease the mandated denial of Aliens by our institutions.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Very interesting.

The last time I heard of a CNN poll on this topic was within the last couple years and the numbers were in the high 50's / low 60's.

Almost vindicates the arguement that people are being prepared.
edit on 3-12-2010 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I believe it! I have always as a young child KNEW we were not alone, it only made sense to me as a little little girl, that if there were other planets and other galaxies then OF COURSE there will be other creatures... What they looked like... I couldnt imagine, maybe something similair to us... But I believe that more and more people ARE opening up to the idea.... I was at work one day at a local hospital eatting lunch when I over heard a table of 6-8 people two looked like surgeons and the rest looked to be nurses, and they were talking about the UFO NUKE CONFRENCE back in early October, and they were really having a deep conversation about all the possibilites and how EXCITING it would be to live in a time where they announce another race!! I COULDNT BELIEVE IT! These were not you sterotypical "highschool trekies, or Geeks" These were grown mature adults talking about it OPENLY!! AT WORK without fear of being over heard (Such as what I was doing LOL) Without fear of seeming crazy, I smiled to myself gratefully that there are people out there able to talk about these ideas with out fear! I wanted to jump in the conversation but I didnt want to be rude

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Very interesting in terms of the timing of this poll.

I'm guessing the other 14% who don't believe in life on other planets are hardcore bible thumpers that don't understand their own religion. Because as a Christian myself, I understand that nowhere in the bible or religious doctrine does it say that God created just the earth and the creatures that inhabit it. And depending on how you interpret the bible to begin with there are many different references to life in the heavens. Angels themselves are ET's as they are not earthly beings.

Bottom line is that somebody created us, whether it was a god or another race of beings. We aren't here by accident and neither are the likely millions of civilizations and creatures/beings on other planets.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]
Very interesting.

The last time I heard of a CNN poll on this topic was within the last couple years and the numbers were in the high 50's / low 60's.

www.alieninfluence.com...
The High 50s number was probably for intelligent life:

Do you think there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe other than earth?

Yes 54% - No 32% - Not Sure 14%

The numbers go way up if you include any life, not just intelligent life:

80% believed that other life forms exist in the Universe

The poll in the OP is not a scientific poll.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
People have realized there is a elephant in the room alas? Could it be... maybe humanity is growing up going from the belief in Santa stage to hitting it's stage of puberty? Still much to learn, very much to learn.

Perhaps this is something we once knew but forgot, or were made to forget? But we still instinctively always felt a large piece missing, who we are and where we come from. The questions that burden our hearts, there is a meaning. It is in our nature to reach out to the stars and voyage and explore, perhaps we get this from our true creators.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

They believe because its a logical thought.

The conclusion is based upon the following 2 premises:
a) Numerous objects have been observed in outer space (little or no atmosphere) which are indisputably not of human origin
b) A number of these objects have trajectories which are clearly not gravitational i.e. they do not move in a straight line or in a trajectory induced through gravitational forces

Assuming the above 2 to be true, very simply premise b) in particular forces us to conclude that there is some intelligence there. Is there some principle of physics that I missed?

"From what I now understand and have experienced and seen the evidence for, I think the evidence is very strong, and large portions of it are classified.. by governments."

Dr. Edgar Mitchel, Apollo 14 astronaut, on Dateline NBC, 1996

We are not alone. S/F

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'm one of the 86% also.

I'm very sure there are some form of bacteria, or simple celled life out there. As far as intelligent life....not too sure.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well the galaxy is very big. Billions upon billions of stars.

If we were the only ones living in the universe it would be a big waste of space don't you think?

I think our biggest fear of all time is realising that we are really alone.

Thing is to them we are considered specks of sand.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
only people living in caves and extremists dont believe in life on other planets

thats the truth, if you dont like to hear it, I am sorry

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by Misoir

The other 14% are Creationist Fundies...

pardon? wrong. wrong, and did i mention "wrong?"
the other 14% are guys like the gentlemen from skeptics.org. lol man i'm tellin' ya, you gotta get off the fundie thing. there's no reason whatsoever, to assume that no other life was created in the universe. in fact, we are a later creation. zecharia sitchin, who definitely believed in ETs, also believed in creationism. ya know the whole "Ancient Astronaut" theory? you must must must, did i mention "must"?, get over the idea that if someone disagrees with you on ANYTHING AT ALL, or you disagree with them on ANYTHING AT ALL, they must be fundies. lol
edit on 3-12-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join