It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Spirit? Anyone notice this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
As Im constantly observing others around me, this last week has been full of experiencing people shining a light to others. Is it just the Christmas Spirit coming out in people? It almost seems as if Im seeing angels in disguise everywhere right now.

As times are tough right now, my own Christmas cheer is not much right now. I find the whole idea of gifts for kids to be competition at schools, some getting lots of material things while others will go without wondering 'where was santa at my house'. It makes me sad that all children cant experience the same greatness of gifts and children dont understand why. Some will get 4 wheelers while others get socks and underwear.

Ill start with a cool experience a couple Christmas's back about a man that was building a home near by in our neighborhood. It was during a time when my fathers drive way was really badly worn down and was full of holes that was very hard on the vehicles. This man came through one day while no one was around and filled the entire driveway full of gravel. The driveway is about a 1/4 of a mile long and it took tons of gravel to fill it and level it all off. The next day he came back by to tell Dad that he had filled it in for him and then before he left gave all the children of the neighborhoods (10 kids) each a 20 dollar bill. I couldnt help but to look at him as a angel.

So this past week, I know many that are having hard times financially. My friend was on her way home and ran out of gas. It was night time and she had no phone on her. A man stopped, ran up the road to get her enough gas to get her back up to the gas station....he then followed her there....and told her to fill up her tank. He then told her merry Christmas.

I was in the grocery store the other day and a man was in there that looked like he had little money. He was saying hello to everyone and was obviously going out of his way to spread a kind smile and warm hellos. He was in line paying for his stuff and before he left he looked at the lady behind him and told her merry Christmas and left her a 50 dollar bill on the counter. She tried to stop him on his way out the door....saying she couldnt take it. He just smiled and kept on going. She almost started to cry but told the cashier to put it into the charity box that was sitting on the counter. Then, when she went to pay for her own groceries, was short a couple dollars and started to count out change from her purse to pay for the items. She really could of used that money, and that man somehow knew it I think, but she was too humble to take it. In the end, the charity box received a 50 dollar donation that day and it took the choice of 2 people to make it happen that way.

I have noticed alot of elderly people out lately that seem to be hurting financially having dirty clothes and torn shoes. But they have this odd smile on their face and they always reach out to my children to touch them and smile at them. At first its a bit erry...for they dont seem to care about me standing there at all wondering why this stranger is reaching out to touch my child. But its as if they are passing on a blessing of sorts to my child.

Is it just Christmas cheer? I dont notice things like this through out the rest of the year, at least not on the scale Im seeing it now. What ever it is...its pretty darn cool.

So its not just gift giving Im seeing....but giving of joy, smiles, and love. It reminds me what a time of thanks and giving should really be about.

Would love to hear any other stories of the same nature.....of Christmas Spirit. The best I can do in giving right now...is gathering items to take to goodwill. I already have about 3 large bags of clothes, old kids books and toys, and some miscellaneous items.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Meh. Everyday should be a celebration of life, not just designated times. Bah, Christmas is too expensive and annoying to be happy.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It is the most important day of the year, as its the day when the sun starts to rise again.

It literally is the most important day of the year, but you still worship satan on it.

Me, personally i am never sure how to celebrate it, but i think it is one day that is very important most definately to all of us on earth. I think christmas day is the one day that stands out amoung all days, but i am not sure as a christian how you should celebrate it.
edit on 12/3/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Bah Humbugg!"

link   
reply to post by jetflock

Clearly you are not in the spirit of the event.

Give freely, Receive openly, Love perpetually. This is the spirit, the frequency of Christmas that is the birth right of the human race and this is why is feels so damn good.

The core principles of Christmas are meant to be practiced daily.

Dinner with your family. Giving and receiving. Remembering the ancestors,

Remember, Remember, in the snows of december,
when the world grows cold and we come together.

edit on 3-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

link   
I also want to add....this 'cheer' of passing on has given me ideas of what to give my two oldest this Christmas. As I already said, times are tough right now and I worry about them feeling envy towards others that get alot of material things that really have no value to them

Im giving my son a couple of pocket knives....one from each of his grandfathers that was passed onto me. He loves to collect knives and all the while I have been looking for some to buy....I realized I have 2 that are of sentimental value which will hopefully show him the worth of having something that was of his grandfathers. I have a ring that I received from my parents when I was 13 and have had it put up for years now. Im going to pass it on to my daughter who will be 13 in February and tell her it was my first 'real ring'.

Maybe those in the same shoes as myself that have children will also be able to find some things they have put away that could be passed onto their kids this Christmas, something of sentimental worth.

I have alot of mixed feelings about Christmas, for it has alot of mixed ideas in it of beliefs and what its supposed to be about has turned into a competition of 'who has more' amongst kids at school. So Im going to try to bring a different perspective into my home this year about Christmas. Part of that perspective is asking both of my oldest children to find something of theirs (a old book or toy) to wrap and pass it onto their younger brother who is 4. Im then going to have my youngest make a craft to wrap for each family member to give to them and put them under the tree.

For gifts to friends...Im going to make sweets like candies and cookies and have the kids help me make them.

From the heart.....is what I am trying to do this Christmas. Having a part of myself in the gifts that I can give and trying to pass that idea onto my kids.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
It is the most important day of the year, as its the day when the sun starts to rise again.

It literally is the most important day of the year, but you still worship satan on it.

Me, personally i am never sure how to celebrate it, but i think it is one day that is very important most definately.

Thanks for that andy. I too acknowledge the turn of seasons and the cycle and orders of our Sun with our Earth.

Im sorry...but I dont believe in Satan so Im not sure how I can worship something I dont believe in. Im not aware of worshiping anything...but give reverence to 'life'. To me, this is what the tree is about, giving reverence to 'life' within all things and be thankful for it.

See I too am mixed on how to 'celebrate' such a thing...for I feel like the other poster that said that we should always be celebrating and giving thanks for 'life'. But maybe its not a bad thing to have a day when 'life in nature' is having its hibernating and hold onto the hope that in Spring, life will 'renew'.

Maybe 'fattening' ourselves up for the 'winter' isnt such a bad idea
On a more serious note, it brings people together to 'brake bread' together.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Would love to hear any other stories of the same nature.....of Christmas Spirit. The best I can do in giving right now...is gathering items to take to goodwill. I already have about 3 large bags of clothes, old kids books and toys, and some miscellaneous items.

Great story, thanks for sharing your experience.

I would like to make a suggestion, nothing against Goodwill, but you must have a clothes and coat closet organization in your area where they give clothes directly to those in need, as you know what is donated to Goodwill is sold not given to the needy, some people now cannot even afford Goodwill or Salvation Army.

The Detroit area has a Soup Kitchen which also gives clothes to the needy and it's free, plus many churches do the same thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

From the heart.....is what I am trying to do this Christmas. Having a part of myself in the gifts that I can give and trying to pass that idea onto my kids.

Out of everything that you have written here, this hit me the hardest, and gives me hope as to pass on your beliefs and morals to your children is one of the more important roles of a parent. Seeing you pass along one of the good ones is indeed refreshing. This world needs more like you.

As far as the time of year and peoples spirits, I think it is the old "pay it forward" in action at work here. It really does work whether it's just a smile or something that involves giving something of yourself. Due to the commercials and the general spirit around this time of year, more people are aware of their surroundings and pay more attention to complete strangers.

It's really too bad that this general feeling of "love" is only really prevalent at this time of year however. Imagine if it were allowed to build and never stop.. It would be the best thing to happen to mankind in my opinion.

As far as children and the older generations smiling more at children well that's an easy one. No one gets more enjoyment out of Christmas than the kids. Right or wrong, this is what we have made it and to go to a mall and just listening to the children talking to their parents at this time of year will bring a smile to almost anyone.

I love the topic of this thread. Thanks OP.....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

When my kids were in little school, christmas time, every child would bring a shoebox of little bits and pieces to go to kids in other countries with very little, a toothbrush, pens and colouring books, even unwanted happy meal toys, which to some kids would be a gift from God. This is the side of christmas i love, but i feel under so much pressure to provide certain things that my kids want for christmas. Im on my own so i dont have a lot of money, and absolutely refuse to buy anything on credit, i just wish it wasnt such a materialistic time of the year, my signiture sums up how i feel about christmas.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

What a lovely idea! Giving your children something on sentimental value. Gifts from the heart always means more than gifts of monetary value. Christmas has become way to consumer based with everyone seeing who can get each other the most expensive, most sought after, or most unusual gift.

I made cookies, cakes, homemade bread, homemade candies and muffins for christmas last year to give as gifts. I had baskets that I had been on the lookout for all year and when gift giving came I heaped each on full of goodies, wraped the baskets in red and green plastic and putt a huge bow around the top. Everyone loved their baskets and knew that each one was crafted for them with their favorite goodies packed in. And they knew that each one was made out of love and that means so much more, at least to me than anything money can buy.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I understand where you are coming from.

The part that really bothers me and I know I have already mentioned it...is that kids cant understand why some of them receive warm clothes that they dont really want while others receive expensive game boxes and grand things that any kid would of course love to have. I really hate that children have to go through feelings of 'envy' or jealousy of those that have a outstanding Christmas.

To think of little ones that are in adoption centers or young ones that literally are not going to have a Christmas but will hear great stories from other kids about all the things they got....makes me so sad. I dislike the competition that is brought about this time of year. Kids dont understand...especially the ones that believe in santa.

I have never tried to raise my kids with the whole 'santa' persona...but even at the preschool where my little one goes they teach about santa and that he will be coming at Christmas. At the age of 4 I dont have much need to tell him santa is just a personification....but as they start to ask questions...its a lie I dont care to tend to and then have to tell them....'now dont go telling other kids at school santa is not real'. Nothing against those that do stretch the whole santa thing out as long as they can but its not something I feel comfortable when they really start to question santa.

Why do we tell lies to our kids? lol....why not from the get go tell them who the gifts are from? I know, there is fun in the whole believing in santa and the story that goes along with it all....but why do we do this?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I love that idea! I think I will do that this year with my kids. They are almost three, still young but they enjoy getting involved with anything I do. There are so many poor kids that won't even have a Christmas around here that this will make all the diffrence. It is never to early to start teaching kids thats its better to give than to receive. Thank you for the idea. I will start collecting tid bits immediately!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Great story, thanks for sharing your experience.

I would like to make a suggestion, nothing against Goodwill, but you must have a clothes and coat closet organization in your area where they give clothes directly to those in need, as you know what is donated to Goodwill is sold not given to the needy, some people now cannot even afford Goodwill or Salvation Army.

The Detroit area has a Soup Kitchen which also gives clothes to the needy and it's free, plus many churches do the same thing.

You are so right...I do know of a organization that I could take the stuff to that will give it to people in need. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I use good will so much myself to buy clothes and such so its kinda a habit to also then take things to goodwill. But I like your idea better for this Christmas.

The kids have been going through our canned goods and finding some to take into their schools and have even gone to neighbors houses asking if they have some canned goods they can take to school for the Christmas donations the school is doing.

Great ideas

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Yep, everyday should be a celebration, but I see it like this; If you say "I love you" to someone everyday the words start to lose value. It's sad, but the truth is that we only see the light if it's contrasted against the dark. A sad world indeed, but a world we all live in.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

As far as the time of year and peoples spirits, I think it is the old "pay it forward" in action at work here. It really does work whether it's just a smile or something that involves giving something of yourself.

If its done from the heart, it truly seems magical.

Thanks for your posts

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I feel you...I was stressing a bit about Christmas this year but with a changed perspective, Im now looking forward to it. I dont feel the pressure as much as I did a week ago to come up with all sorts of material items from the stores.

I too refuse to buy things on credit.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Once again, these things should be everyday. Bah.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by twinsmom

I made cookies, cakes, homemade bread, homemade candies and muffins for christmas last year to give as gifts. I had baskets that I had been on the lookout for all year and when gift giving came I heaped each on full of goodies, wraped the baskets in red and green plastic and putt a huge bow around the top. Everyone loved their baskets and knew that each one was crafted for them with their favorite goodies packed in. And they knew that each one was made out of love and that means so much more, at least to me than anything money can buy.

I truly believe that love can be placed into the goodies that are prepared for others. Baskets are a great idea too to use to place the goodies in. One can find really cheep baskets and baskets can be reused.

If one has alot of plants...they could take shoots from a planet, line the basket with plastic, and give 'planets' to people for gifts too. Ive always liked giving plants as gifts.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetflock
Meh. Everyday should be a celebration of life, not just designated times. Bah, Christmas is too expensive and annoying to be happy.

Are these sentiments mutually compatible enough not to be a contradiction, indicative of confusion, on the part of the author?

I also think the OP is seeing things from their own joy filled perspective
But glad they are, and wish such a miracle on everyone.
edit on 3-12-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join