It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mesaana

Yes we are prepared, i'm nice and warm in my home, I went to work just fine yesterday, the problem is the naggers, they nag about every bloody thing, and the MSM, they blow it out of proportion and make it look ten times worse than it is, please look back at my photos, there are lots of places in the UK like my town, and those that HAVE been hit worse are managing just fine. My employer is a large electrical // computer retailer and they managed to get a delivery from down south (in one of the worse hit areas of England no less) perfectly well, I know, I was there to take delivery, I have blisters on my hands to prove it, christmas deliveries are a nightmare.

edit on 3/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
the weather is a little strange, maybe its to early to say its an ice age, Althought i noticed something Strange on the local news earlier in the week, I think it was Look North or Calender, A reporter was out in the snow, he mentioned he had heard claps of thunder, Im no weather man but isnt that extremly rare with snow clouds?

any weather experts?

I must admitt I thought of HARP experiments on that Jesse Ventura show, when that June girl did the experiment with the electricity in the glass box.

around the 3 min mark

width="480" height="385"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/ciKZCZ7bwD4?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Sorry OP but I live in Maine and we're constantly buried in about 3 foot of snow by late january, and thats pretty much perpetual until the spring comes.

You brits see 2 inches of snow and panic! lol

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by takethat

The thunder was a couple of weeks ago, I thought it odd for this time of year, I didn't see it, but then I was in the warehouse at work, really loud though. I watch look north too, didn't hear it mentioned. ( I believe you, just didn't hear it myself)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The current ice age has to end before another one can start
Another line

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Yes we do have old stone walls running across most of the countryside, they're hundreds of years old (they get rebuilt regularly). Although of course that's not all we have! We're versatile

Here in lancs the snow is pretty bad, and it seems like society seriously cannot cope with it, on wednesday the bin men never bothered turning up, yesterday the milk didn't arrive until 4pm, it usually comes at like 4am (yes in the uk we get milk delivered to the doorstep, yes i know, quaint isn't it?). The buses arent coming down into the village I live in, which makes it particularly difficult for me to get anywhere, as I don't drive. Even my smoking-cessation clinic was closed.

Although I think suggesting an ice age has started is a little too far, the temperatures are far below usual, it hasn't been above 0 all week, it's been like -3 at noon, ridiculous!

But as a lot of people have suggested, things may be just going back to normal, when I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s it snowed every winter, it was common, (although it didn't usually snow until jan/feb/march), the late 90s and 2000s have been ridiculously mild, so I can see how young people born in the 90s could very well see this as a coming 'ice age' due to their unfamiliarity with these kinds of winter...well...get used to it!!

Oh and if you think this is bad...below is a picture of a lane in my villiage back in '63...

Those walls of snow are several feet!!
edit on 3-12-2010 by WHITEHEAD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rabbigoldstein
www.bbc.co.uk...

That thirty second video is just one of many examples of how the lanscape is covered in snow

The particular article shows the south east of england nearish london how bad it is,

That my friends is a fraction of the severity, the rest of england, especially north east and scotland, are snowed in almost three times as bad, by in some cases snow which could cover a child!

The main problem is snow like this hasnt occured for decades, and councils are not equiped to deal with it.

People keep excpecting rain to come, wash it all away as what usually happens, but no. Snow just keeps falling and falling, thicker and thicker, and freezing temperatures are due for the next week or two at least which means frozen rain/ snow.

Unfortunatly, this is only the start. The scenes in the UK wil this weekend spread to europe, and eventually the U.S and Canada.

Within a month, the UK weather will be at the national emergency level.
Nobody will be able to leave their homes at christmas or the new year for fear of being literally crushed and buried under mounds of snow.

By late january, early march, europe will be under snow.

The rest of the world will be covered by mid may.

This is a plan orchestrated and manipulated by evil entities in an effort to wipe out most, if not all of humanity

By june 1st 2011 the entire world will be covered in snow.

A new ice age has begun, warn all your loved ones, gather food clothes and shelter now before its too late.

A select few will be taken to shelters and continue the human race.

Im sorry.

edit on 2-12-2010 by rabbigoldstein because: (no reason given)

It used to be worse than this when I was younger. Typical British media over exagerating everything.

A new ice age lol. Is this a gee up? I've been sleeping with my window open, heating off, every night of the week. I'm sat here, no heating, just a jumper. It really isn't that cold at all.

The only people 'trapped' in their house are those who've forgotten the concept of walking. "OMG, the cars snowed in, we're trapped!"

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Certainly in the 70s there was a lot more snow around - I remember opening the front door and having snow half way up the door jamb. I think saying an ice age has "officially" started is way way over the top!. Surely this is just winter weather?

The media here just love a good panic/doom scenario to fill their rolling news with.

Here in Brum we've had an inch at best...and surprisingly for once this hasnt crippled the city, with everything moving fine.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHITEHEAD
reply to post by ..5..

Yes we do have old stone walls running across most of the countryside, they're hundreds of years old (they get rebuilt regularly). Although of course that's not all we have! We're versatile

Here in lancs the snow is pretty bad, and it seems like society seriously cannot cope with it, on wednesday the bin men never bothered turning up, yesterday the milk didn't arrive until 4pm, it usually comes at like 4am (yes in the uk we get milk delivered to the doorstep, yes i know, quaint isn't it?). The buses arent coming down into the village I live in, which makes it particularly difficult for me to get anywhere, as I don't drive. Even my smoking-cessation clinic was closed.

Although I think suggesting an ice age has started is a little too far, the temperatures are far below usual, it hasn't been above 0 all week, it's been like -3 at noon, ridiculous!

But as a lot of people have suggested, things may be just going back to normal, when I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s it snowed every winter, it was common, (although it didn't usually snow until jan/feb/march), the late 90s and 2000s have been ridiculously mild, so I can see how young people born in the 90s could very well see this as a coming 'ice age' due to their unfamiliarity with these kinds of winter...well...get used to it!!

Oh and if you think this is bad...below is a picture of a lane in my villiage back in '63...

Those walls of snow are several feet!!
edit on 3-12-2010 by WHITEHEAD because: (no reason given)

You're in Colne or Trawden? Because in Colne itself the level of snow is laughable. And the busses and trains are running fine. In stark contrast to last year, when they practically stopped running. I'm up near the rugby fields in Colne, so higher up than most too.

In saying that I was on the phone to my Grandad in Barnoldswick the other day and he said it was coming down something stupid, despite being clear skies in Colne

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Higher ground. As they say 'bonny colne on t'hill'. Trawden is pretty bad, in my garden its about half a foot, the buses werent coming down cotton tree lane and although I've only been up colne once since it got bad, that new centre across from the church and the shepherds was bloody closed on wednesday...so i can't pick up my champix!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Higher ground. As they say 'bonny colne on t'hill'. Trawden is pretty bad, in my garden its about half a foot, the buses werent coming down cotton tree lane and although I've only been up colne once since it got bad, that new centre across from the church and the shepherds was bloody closed on wednesday...so i can't pick up my champix!

To be fair it couldn't be much less than half a foot in my back yard. The difference is probably in road traffic. I imagine not many are trying to commute through the 'back hills' unless they absolutely need to.

I remember last year having to walk into Nelson, the roads were that bad. Canal runs near Cotton Tree doesn't it, Is it frozen over yet?

Funnily enough my Mums a nurse, I'd ask her to nick you some Champix but she plays by the rules

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

It's a river that runs through Cottontree, it joins up with a couple others to become the main river that runs through Colne, e.g. Waterside river. So no it hasn't frozen, the canal goes through Foulridge way, so I wouldn't know. I think we got snow two weeks earlier this year than last year, although you've got to admit it has been colder, just look at the metoffice data for Haslingden (our nearest), it's barely been above 0 all week, the highest temp I can see is 1 on Saturday afternoon.

I bloody hate winter

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It's a river that runs through Cottontree, it joins up with a couple others to become the main river that runs through Colne, e.g. Waterside river. So no it hasn't frozen, the canal goes through Foulridge way, so I wouldn't know. I think we got snow two weeks earlier this year than last year, although you've got to admit it has been colder, just look at the metoffice data for Haslingden (our nearest), it's barely been above 0 all week, the highest temp I can see is 1 on Saturday afternoon.

I bloody hate winter

My mistake, was looking at Google maps, I know it joins up with the canal somewhere along the line and runs through Nelson/Brierfield.

It's definately been cold, at times have seen the warm air coming from my mouth... While inside the house, I need to add
It's supposedly -6 now, but I can't feel it with my new fan oven heating up the kitchen, bloody sweltering.

Love the cold weather, especially at night time. Like to get the room real cold and snuggle up under the covers. Can't sleep if I'm warm so -6 is a good temperature for me
If there ever is an Ice Age It'd be perfect conditions for me

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

What are you talking about! We had the same thing last year, only this year its a little bit ealier. And its not that bad. I mean, there are worse places in the world when it comes to winter, but the problem in the uk is, we don't know how to deal with it. People go OTT like its the end of the world or something, its quite sad

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xavialune

I don't think we panic we are just unprepared. This is because we can go years without any snow at all therefore people and councils havant and won't fork out for the equipment you guys have. You get thick snow every year so you have the plows and people have snow tyres or chains. I am not going to pay out hundreds of ponds for fitting snow tires when they wont get used every year.And that's the problem it costs too much so people don't bother . People get a day off and get to go sledging with their kids.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Honestly I just think the MSM uses weather to garner ratings and deflect attention.

I live in Southern New England here in the ol' You Ess of AYY and, growing up, we would get Nor'Easters of monstrous proportions such as the Blizzard of 1978 and the Storm of the Century in 1994 or whatever. No one really made that big a deal of it. Complaining about snow in NEw ENgland iwas like complaining about quakes in Cali or Tornados in Indiana. You just accepted it as part of the natural routine of where you lived.

Nowadays though? Holy sh*t if they do not start reporting on an approaching storm 4 days in advance even if it is threatening only 6 inches or so. I always make jokes to my wife that I wish she got as excited by six inches as the local TV reporters do.

They break into regularly schedule TV programs to discuss how the state is coping with a storm that, when I was a kid, they would not even have cancelled school for. Now it's a oublic ordeal replete with 24/7 news coverage.

It's a total deflection and rating grab.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Update 15:00hrs from my front door in the far North west England:

yesterday 10am:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81819949cdf8.jpg[/atsimg]

Today 9am:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a04b851079a.jpg[/atsimg]

Now:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/817659baaa06.jpg[/atsimg]

WHERES ALL THE SNOW GONE!!! Which rotter has stolen my very first ice age

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Bizzare!!
...hmm a pipe-smoking, red-eyed Simian who's praying for glaciation...Now I've heard everything! Well I'm sure you'll enjoy this winter then
As for this monkey I think it's time to hibernate

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Gobal warming can cause climate disturbances in both directions, both hot and cold - Lisa Simpsons

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have a couple of iguanas and I can tell you that being cold blooded isn't easy. They become extremely lethargic without regular sunlight, which is why in the winter I have to substitute sun lamps to keep them active. Reptiles are not adapted for cold temperatures, in fact most cannot handle temperature below 70.
But thanks for the laughs OP...

Reptilian take over is imminent, prepare yourselves:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cdad5f207033.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 3-12-2010 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join