It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Europe beware - an ice age has officially started

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
In response to your worrysome thread about the 4 inches of snow in britain.

In the most eloquent way possible "AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! *ROFL*

Really that sums it up - If you think that is ice age, im sorry, you are mistaken.

UK is far from the equator and guess what, its almost christmas.

When you have snow in June, Call me, theres an ice age.

But I will report - Vancouver BC did have a cold snap of -12 for about 4 days. Unusual weather pattern.
Colder winter then normal, but right now its +4 out there and the snow is gone.

I have gear and vehicles for -50, so I'm not too worried about the ice age.

Viva las mexico just in case, right?

Not cancuun though, aparently its going to sink.

But then again, if theres an ice age, wont the oceans recede?

Man...Come on science, show me the way. I look outside and the birds are singing, why shouldnt I?

Life goes on! I'm having a steak tonight and tomorrow im going to see harry potter. I'll recycle my garbage and be a decent human being. What else is there to do?

*dancing* Love baby love....Love this world we're in...*dance dance* Until it all goes dooowwn the drain! Yeah!

Its all good

-G
edit on 7-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

I agree.

The last big snowfall we had (round these parts anyway) was 1997, however I do remember, last year? or the year before? Recently anyway, most of the UK was covered again, and again there was disruption.

The snowfall we had last night was really heavy, but when I went to work this morning, town was a lively as ever, OK drivers were driving a bit slower than usual, and doing the snow shuffle walking up the pavement is always fun, lol (sends shivers down my spine, it's like chewing cotton wool, only with your feet) but people were getting on with their lives like normal.

It's all blown out of proportion, personally I enjoy the snow (as you can see in the pic on the previous page), i'm 30 years old and it makes me feel like a kid again, if only for a brief instant. It's not going to be here forever, it will go away, enjoy it is what I say

edit on 7/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

LMAO, I do remember once in my lifetime we had a freak bout of snow in July, does that count? Listen mate, trust me, not everyone in the UK feels the snowtime blues.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

A few inches of snow in the UK does not make an ice age!

I agree. Just because some parts of the world are experiencing a harsh beginning of winter doesn't mean anything. They probably could have thought the same thing during the harsh winter in 1610. I've been hearing the same thing almost every year since the 90s predicting harsh winters - go buy some mittens or something, just don't build a bunker filled with supplies.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle
reply to post by PuterMan

your Gulf Stream Velocity map from the other thread had a time stamp from 2005. Any chance of finding the current stream velocity. I cannot.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4dbd5eba9b2.jpg[/atsimg]
rads.tudelft.nl...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If anyone can be bothered, heres an article from my local newspaper, look, people having fun building igloos, lol.

www.newsandstar.co.uk...

(it also highlights how silly people are being at a little snow and cold temperatures, remember, we are the last station before the scottishland)
edit on 7/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Ice age is coming though folks, lets get serious for a minute. Our time is almost up.

The earth is in a cycle of 80-90,000 year ice age, 10-15,000 year warm period.

Eventually our decendants will retreat to the equator, but that day is not today.

Bask in the glory of winter as shiva destroys all in her path so that it can be born again in spring!

Or maybe...just maybe if we burn enough carbon into the air we can keep things warmer for a little while longer...

Nahh, this cycle is going to keep going just like it always has.

Before we had cars folks, forest fires burned all over the world creating much more co2 gas then we ever did and guess what they didnt stop. There were no fire fighters.

We are in the balancing act of this planet, and all we can do is ride the waves.

Take my hand, and lets get through it together.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle
reply to post by PuterMan

your Gulf Stream Velocity map from the other thread had a time stamp from 2005. Any chance of finding the current stream velocity. I cannot.

I think the problem with the gulf stream theory is that this weather has come from the east "Siberia" nothing to do with the gulf stream.

The Gulf Stream and the snow have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACHOTHER. If the wind blows from the east the Gulf stream still has the same impact on our climate than if the wind blew in from the west. The gulf stream produces warmer moist air and a very very very slight difference in sea temp...thats all it does. The scenario experienced recently has NOTHING to do with the gulf stream, it has to do with the AIR. The recent snow event occurred because of a "blocking" effect from a High Pressure system which pulled in cold air from Scandinavia. The high pressure system was blocking Atlantic weather systems bringing in warm moist air from the west and they were being pushed further south over Iberia.

The air in a HP is drier but because the North Sea is still relatively warm (november), the air coming across (cold) from Scandinavia is forcing the slightly warmer air off of the North Sea to rise (convection). This convection created clouds and these clouds became heavy with precipitation. As they blew in over land (which is very cold) the precipitaion fell as SNOW. There was thunder in it because of the energy produced by the snow and hail particles falling and creating a charge, just like a summer thunderstorm.

The Gulf stream had nothing to do with the direct snow fall on the east coast of the UK, it was simply the current weather set up that occurred and all the ingredients were there for a winter event.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabbigoldstein

Originally posted by win 52
Just a post in support of this theory.

So far the cosmic debris and/or a volcano in the Ocean off Greenland are the two I am focusing on trying to live past.

exactly, i mean the news about the gulf jet stream i cant believe people arent taking more seriously!
you kidding me?????? this is what normally prevents britain from getting as cold as siberia!

NO ITS NOT......................

ThebGulf Stream helps stabalise our climate but it isnt the only contributing factor. The Westerly winds from the States is also another major factor.

Its a multitude of things that create an ice age and the Gulf Stream stopping isnt the only thing that needs to happen to create one.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I read somewhere on the internet last year that UK was going to get more snow in the winters, I forgot the reason why. It might have something to do with the polar caps putting more fresh water into the ocean changing the jet stream of the inter conntinental atlantic flow of the ocean. Or maybe the oil slick has caused this.
UK needs to buy some snow plows from Virginia. When I lived in the Shannadoah Valley the plows sucked up the show and blew it to the sides of the roads. Blizzards of four feet of snow would happen rapidly there. If we had snow flurries you didn't go out to the stores with the little children. You might end up with your car stranded. Sometimes it took more than a month for all the snow to melt. Winter went from October until mid April there.
I hate winter, South Carolina only had one snow storm in the past six years and it lasted 8 hours. It melted off fast. Clean out your closets for entertainment! Good Luck! Merry white Christmas early!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I read somewhere on the internet last year that UK was going to get more snow in the winters, I forgot the reason why. It might have something to do with the polar caps putting more fresh water into the ocean changing the jet stream of the inter conntinental atlantic flow of the ocean. Or maybe the oil slick has caused this.
UK needs to buy some snow plows from Virginia. When I lived in the Shannadoah Valley the plows sucked up the show and blew it to the sides of the roads. Blizzards of four feet of snow would happen rapidly there. If we had snow flurries you didn't go out to the stores with the little children. You might end up with your car stranded. Sometimes it took more than a month for all the snow to melt. Winter went from October until mid April there.
I hate winter, South Carolina only had one snow storm in the past six years and it lasted 8 hours. It melted off fast. Clean out your closets for entertainment! Good Luck! Merry white Christmas early!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Although it is good to remember that Britain is kept warmer than other countries on our latitude due to our predominantly south westerly winds that bring in weather that has been warmed by the gulf stream. Otherwise we would be as cold as Canada.Check out a globe and trace our latitude around geographyworldonline.com... and then look at how cold those countries that don't benefit from the gulf stream are. However as I said before the weather we are now experiencing is due to cold air coming from the east ,nothing to do with the gulf stream. Climate change maybe.
edit on 7-12-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

Mm, maybe that was the last time they saw it!

OK, I can't find anything that covers the whole of the Altantic, only the gulf. All the maps are earlier than 2005 (do I smell a conspiracy here?)

Try this one for the Gulf.

argo.colorado.edu...

Edit: Done it for you.

edit on 7/12/2010 by PuterMan because: To add image

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I agree that the UK has a high latitude but the Gulf isnt the only player in an ice age event. The UK is surrounded by sea so there will always be a natural warming effect as we are an island. The Atlantic acts as a huge radiator and the salt obviously stops it freezing. If there was a mass of fresh water dumped in it then there may be some problems but this is pretty unlikely at least in the near future.

The jet stream plays a big part in our current weather and it is further south than it should be at the moment, hence the blocking effect of the Greenland and Scandanavian highs.

The only major factors that would plummet us into an ice age are IMO a combination of the below...

1. Greatly reduced solar activity
2. A mass of fresh water dropped into the northern oceans
3. A huge volcanic eruption, blockin sunlight (minimising heating of the earth)

These things above would cause the freezing point of the ocean to be attainable because without the ocean surrounding the UK and Europe freezing, there will be no ice age as the oceans temp will reduce the length of time the land is frozen, especially when the seasons change. The only other scenario that may have an effect on global temps is for the majority of the northern hemisphere...if not it all to be covered in very deep snow, this would reduce the temp of the earth and MAY create a general cooling trend but this again is unlikely because of the seasons.

An ice age upon us???? NO WAY...if the sea begins to freeze...as in the OPEN sea and not coastal harbours, then i'll be concerned but until then...the OP should STOP TRYING TO GET FLAGS AND STARS FOR SENSATIONAL TITLES AND FEARMONGERING...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This site has several interesting sources on what they term Heliogenic Climate Change.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
We are still in an Ice age!
It is hard to find proof of it online because there is so much BS to siff through thanks to all the fear mongering man made climate change crap on the web. But i will keep digging when i get some more time

But I was able to find mention of it on Wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org...

ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres;[1] by this definition we are still in the ice age that began at the start of the Pleistocene (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).[2]

and during an Ice age we will get colder periods

Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of extra cold climate are termed "glacial periods"

I also have 3 documentaries (which are very interesting and I recommend any one who is interested in ancient civilisations to watch) and all talk about past ice ages and state that we are coming to the end of one now.

The Mystery of the Sphinx
Advance Ice age Civilisations & Atlantis
Atlantis: Secret star mappers of a lost world.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I haven't read all the responses up to this point. But, the main point is that GLACIERS ARE ***RECEDING.*** Everywhere. They are melting in Antarctica and in the Arctic Circle. Polar bears are losting once-frozen regions and are drowning because they are no longer able to traverse once narrower and shallower rivers that are now lakes or small seas.

HOW CAN AN ICE AGE BE "CONFIRMED" WHEN GLACIERS ARE RECEDING. The History or Discovery Channel had a documentary on a large glacier in Europe which has dramatically melted away. Photos from the 50s to the 2000s were compared and the ice is melting away at a "startling rate."

Therefore, I must ask, are you really, really sure that an ice age is really headed our way, right now?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

I suggest checking out NOAA's world map on temperature anomalies. You will find an ever growing part of the map going red and an ever shrinking part of the map going blue. We tend to hear an awful lot about the ever shrinking blue parts of the map.

www.climatewatch.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rabbigoldstein
www.bbc.co.uk...

That thirty second video is just one of many examples of how the lanscape is covered in snow

The particular article shows the south east of england nearish london how bad it is,

That my friends is a fraction of the severity, the rest of england, especially north east and scotland, are snowed in almost three times as bad, by in some cases snow which could cover a child!

The main problem is snow like this hasnt occured for decades, and councils are not equiped to deal with it.

People keep excpecting rain to come, wash it all away as what usually happens, but no. Snow just keeps falling and falling, thicker and thicker, and freezing temperatures are due for the next week or two at least which means frozen rain/ snow.

Unfortunatly, this is only the start. The scenes in the UK wil this weekend spread to europe, and eventually the U.S and Canada.

Within a month, the UK weather will be at the national emergency level.
Nobody will be able to leave their homes at christmas or the new year for fear of being literally crushed and buried under mounds of snow.

By late january, early march, europe will be under snow.

The rest of the world will be covered by mid may.

This is a plan orchestrated and manipulated by evil entities in an effort to wipe out most, if not all of humanity

By june 1st 2011 the entire world will be covered in snow.

A new ice age has begun, warn all your loved ones, gather food clothes and shelter now before its too late.

A select few will be taken to shelters and continue the human race.

Im sorry.

edit on 2-12-2010 by rabbigoldstein because: (no reason given)

Hi mate!
Quoting from the source you cited in another (now closed) thread, I read that "Asked when the ice age would begin, he said: "That could happen in five, ten, fifty or a hundred years, or even later. We can't predict it precisely, but it will come".

www.croatiantimes.com...

I can also make a lot of 'predictions' like that.
1. The sun will die. That could happen in five, ten, fifty or a hundred years, or even later. We can't predict it precisely, but it will come.
2. Aliens will visit Earth and make themselves known of all mankind. That could happen in five, ten, fifty or a hundred years, or even later. We can't predict it precisely, but it will come.
3. North Korea will become a florishing democracy, voted best place on Earth to live in. That could happen in five, ten, fifty or a hundred years, or even later. We can't predict it precisely, but it will come.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
i was reading the previous now closed thread and someone stated that we had bad snow in the uk in 1993. there is good reason for this as about 18 months previously to this mount pinatubo errupted in the second largest eruption of the century. the amount of sulpher dioxide that was put into the atmosphere cooled the planet down by an average of around .75 degrees celsius for some time, but there hasnt been a massive volcanic eruption recently and that icelandic one that i cant be bothered to try and spell but begins ej, was tiny in relative terms to pinatubo and would not have affected the worlds weather cycle in any noticeable way.
the winters in london have been very cold these last couple of years and i grew up in newcastle and can not remember it ever being as cold as it has got these last two winters, does anyone know what would happen to australia if an ice age occurs as i have family there and i dont reallly like the cold?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join